New Sledder, New Sled....Tips, advice and opinions

DieselDemon

Reaction score
So, Im going to be getting a "new" sled a supercharged 06 Yamaha Nitro with a 161" track i believe. first of all what do you folks think of the sled? good bad? I dont think I will be hitting up the mountains this winter just because I dont want to die lol. What tips, and advise and gear should I be looking at?

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
So, Im going to be getting a "new" sled a supercharged 06 Yamaha Nitro with a 161" track i believe. first of all what do you folks think of the sled? good bad? I dont think I will be hitting up the mountains this winter just because I dont want to die lol. What tips, and advise and gear should I be looking at?

Your a new sledder..... And you defiantly arent going to the mountains.... Yet you have just purchased the longest,haviest... Most powerful mountain machine you possibly could have pretty much...........Happy "trails"

Last edited:

DieselDemon

Reaction score
Ok Ill probally do the mountains but only with an experienced group. I know its a pretty big sled but I fugured instead of buying a little one and upgrading over the years I have an opportunity to get this sled and I figure its good to learn on what I plan on owning down the road. A higer power machine. I learned to ride a sportbike on a GIXXER 750 and motoX on a KTM SX525. any ways Im just hoping for people to show me the ropes and pass on their knowledge.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Ok Ill probally do the mountains but only with an experienced group. I know its a pretty big sled but I fugured instead of buying a little one and upgrading over the years I have an opportunity to get this sled and I figure its good to learn on what I plan on owning down the road. A higer power machine. I learned to ride a sportbike on a GIXXER 750 and motoX on a KTM SX525. any ways Im just hoping for people to show me the ropes and pass on their knowledge.

How the hell is anyone going to show you the ropes when your sled has three times as much power as anyone elses? Lol. I wont be the one coming on your first ride pulling that thing out when you get it stuck lol! But you DEFINATLY are right in not needing to upgrade! If that thing ever winds up not having enough power for you... I suggest top fuel dragsters. Im telling you right now though... That thing is going to rock in the mountains but you are NOT going to have any fun with it down here. Same with the sled I have man... There is a happy medium for for snowmobiles to ride in the mountains and down here.... YOU sir..... Did not get one of those and nor did I lol.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with T-team here. It's dumbtarded to get a supercharged nytro for a first sled. Get an old rev with the 800HO, or something like that. Great sled to learn on, and you can always upgrade in the future.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you completely new to sledding or is this just your first sled? As far as the sled goes, if this is the first one you've owned, you'll get used to it and everything about it probably really enjoy it. (You're sledding...period) Guys on here of course are going to slam you for getting a Yamaha first of all and then they're gonna slam you for getting such a powerful sled for your first ride.....(whatever). Good on ya for getting a sled and if you do get the chance...head for the mountains. Personally, I don't know how anyone can ride the prairies. I came from Westlock a long time ago so I know what the prairies are like....FLAT! Go to the mountains with some experienced riders and watch and listen. Get a beacon probe and shovel and learn how to use all of it if you're headed for the hills. If you plan on staying on the flats, WATCH OUT FOR FENCES!!!! That's a very fast ride and you're gonna want to open it up of course. There's been some horror stories of guys hitting farm field fences at high speeds. Anyway, welcome to the world of sledding. There are a lot of great guys on here who I am sure would be happy to take you out to the hills and show you the ropes.....but, you will have to have a beacon, probe and shovel. I'm in Kelowna and a little far away, otherwise I'd be happy to take you out.:beer:

hornydevil

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I to did the same as you did but with a bike, back in 1998 I bought a Yamaha R1. That bike was my first street bike, but had motocross bike growing up ( i was still young...lol). I learn to ride the bike one day at the time and respecting what the bike could do, sure it was a powerful bike but I learn how to ride it. You're Nytro should be the same thing, learn it, appreciate it and have fun. I also bought a Turbo Apex in 2009, it was a blast to ride, tones of power. I did the same thing as I did with the R1, learn how to ride the sled, and respect it.... Have fun and play safe.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my honest opinion. If you start out with a 300+hp sled right away, You really have nothing else to look forward to after that sled. That is why I suggest starting out with a smaller sled. Heck, even if you buy a stock Nytro, and then as you get used to it, put more stuff onto it. Buying the fastest sled right away is fugging retarded IMO.

But what do I know.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good on ya for getting a nice sled. BE CAREFUL........IF you head for the mountains and you will gauranteed, what you wrote here is pretty much the perfect recipe for a guy who wants to get killed in an avalanche. Take a course, get educated, and ride with smart riders. You will have fun but remember just because your sled will climb the hill doesn't mean you should!

Last edited:

DieselDemon

Reaction score
I dont get it, if you know what you want, why dont you get it? I drive a 3/4 ton diesel truck that is modded, and its my first truck and by what your saying is I should have bought a stock rear wheel drive ford ranger. Or my first bike is a GIXXER 750 supersport, should I ride a vespa, or a honda 125 instead? Just saying I believe if you have a respect for the equipment than why not go big? Just seems like a colossal waste of money buying 2 or 3 sleds to work up to a high horsepower one IMO.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I must have been brought up old fashioned. My first sled was a yamaha enticer 250. My first truck was a ram 2wd truck. But then again, I wasn't spending dads money. Bought it all with my own hard earned money.

Do whatever you want man. No body is stopping you, but I just think its better to work your way up. That's what I've done all my life.
Sad to see kids these days getting everything handed to them on a silver platter.

sent from a phone

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you should defiantly get some good mtn. equipment and find some experienced mountain riders to go with. You will have fun.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
opinions are like a$$holes, to many of both of them on this site.....bwa hahahaha......enjoy the sled, its a nice machine and you'll have a blast, if you ever wanna join up for some field/trail riding just west of edm there's a group of us who go out just about everyweekend and manage to have fun, even the guy on the turbo has fun. keep an eye on the tailgate section, we usually post in there when we're heading out, always happy to ride with new people

I dont get it, if you know what you want, why dont you get it? I drive a 3/4 ton diesel truck that is modded, and its my first truck and by what your saying is I should have bought a stock rear wheel drive ford ranger. Or my first bike is a GIXXER 750 supersport, should I ride a vespa, or a honda 125 instead? Just saying I believe if you have a respect for the equipment than why not go big? Just seems like a colossal waste of money buying 2 or 3 sleds to work up to a high horsepower one IMO.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are saying get something that has power and is easy to ride but doesnt have 300 hp like a rev or m8 or something that you can have fun on and find out what kind of riding you really want to do

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
listen OP, there are a BUNCH of experienced mountain riders on here giving you their honest opinion...listen up
now on to your sled....

i too didnt ride sleds much and ALSO HAD A 2002 GIXXER 750 (hense the name enis750)
this is where i got my first real taste of power

ill tell you this from first hand experience - sleds and bikes have ZERO in common (except maybe counter steering and thats it)
a bikes power is so different than a sled....especially a supercharged one

heres some free advice regarding that sled - CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR and get a sled you can learn on
you will thank us all later

that 06 Nytro is old tech, a very seated feel, instead of rider forward (similar to a dirtbike) and weighs a ton
yep..... you will win every drag race out there, but i guarantee once you visit the west ONCe with it, you will be wishing you listened to us
i have only been riding 4+ years and every single time i ride i learn something new

if you have had dirtbikes in the past, you have some mechanical knowledge
save your dough and buy something that you CAN HANDLE and learn about
there is more to these machines than just pull and go

I have no beef w Yamaha's at all, in fact i owned the NEW body style Nytro, an 08 converted to an XTX and I LOVED IT!

So....

1. Welcome to the sport and the site
2. read about different brands, what years of sleds to avoid BEFORE you purchase anything
3. read about clutching and how it affects your sled and where you ride
4. read about and TAKE AN AVALANCHE safety course BEFORE YOU STEP FOOT ON ANY MOUNTAIN - this will save you and your buddies lives one day..guaranteed
5. have fun ... this is an awesome sport

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess you didn't learn to drive in 3/4 ton modded truck. Even if you did, someone was right beside you telling you what to do and what not to do. You probably started driving like most people, in a vehicle that you could handle. Technically you probably learned to ride on a pedal bike before that gixxer.
There's almost nothing like riding a sled. You don't have someone right there telling you how it's done. I think learning the hard way and breaking stuff is pretty much how the learnign curve goes with sleds. All of that power WILL put you into situations you shouldn't be in. Very few people can resist using all of the power they have available even if they should. You'll show up in the mountains with that sled and the usual "mines bigger than yours" or "lets see you use that sled properly" mentality will appear and next thing you know... you're going to the wrong place.
Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt and no one will cry if and when that sled comes ghost riding down and smokes a tree, except maybe you.

Last edited:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this is their 3 cylinder trail machine in the Apex chassy - looks like the vector? It's been stretched to 162"? If so I'd look at getting a FX Nytro, better handling than the Apex chassi off the trail. For trail riding I've heard mostly good things about the apex chassi with a charger. The only negative being weight.

Also you can always drop the boost to start with and increase it as you get more comfortable. Swap the pullies will reduce your boost to 5psi and 175hp. Your probably at 220hp @ sea level now.

A charger is more hands on than a well installed turbo. If your trail riding and not making big elevation changes then you should be able to set and forget.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you see the fairly recent post of the You Tube Video of the guy that blasted over the top of Goat Ridge Bowl into Danger Basin or the You Tube Video a year or two ago of the guy who was relatively new to mountain sledding riding a Turbo M8 and triggered the avy on the hill climb in Wind Tunnels. That will be you if you ride that sled like you stoled it. I am all for working your way up to that sled by starting with something with a little less horsepower or if you buy that sled ride it at quarter throttle until you become familiar with mountain riding, mountain riding areas and learn to evaluate slopes for avalanche risk.

Top Bottom