New rider. 800 or 600

Degenstein19

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the site and I'm going to be getting back into sledding . Haven't rode a sled since I was 16 (7 years ago) but I was just wondering whether I should start out on a 600 or just jump on a 800. Some guys say start with a 600 and get used to it and then get an 800 but others say I'd be fine with an 800. Just wondering what your guys opinion is and if you had any advice. Thanks fellas sorry for the weak question haha

SleddinYogi

Reaction score
I've had a 600 for first sled and tell ya the truth I think it was a waste of time.
It all depends what you will be using it for. If your gonna use it for utility (ditch banging, fishing, etc) it will work. But if you want the option to go to mountains go with 800.

Not large price gap anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMHO, there are too many times when the 600 just won't have enough jam! I found out the hard way; brought out (when I moved to BC) the 550 fan cooled and up-graded to a 600 Summit with a 144" track. I was having trouble on the logging road switch backs with untracked snow. It didn't have the torque and track speed to get up and going when the momentum was lost.

800 all the way baby!

PS, in case the next question is about the track length, longer is better!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have older 2004 sleds and one of each. A 600 and a 800. The 600 I can throw around like a toy while the 800 not so much. Having said that my daughter had the opportunity to ride a brand new 2014 for a day. It was an 800. She rocked that sled! She is afraid of my 800 but found the new sled to be a lot easier. So if my 16 yer old daughter can manage a new 800 you will be fine. As said save your money and go big....

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you become a better rider if you start on a 600. You dont get to throttle your way outta situations, you actually have to ride. Your riding buddies might not be the biggest fans of this as they will be tugging on your skis lol. But then again your talkin to a guy that use to ride a 480 phazer 136" in the mountains and go everywhere the 700-800 use to, just not the straight up short route ha ha.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the 800. Like stated above there's a small price difference and the extra power is well needed in the mountains. I started riding 3 years ago and bought a 800 and never felt it was too much. When you start out on it you may just use the throttle a little less is all.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we got back into sledding after a number of years away from it I went with an 800. I encouraged my wife to get the 800 but she stuck to her guns and went with the 600 etec first year they came out with a 154. I wondered if it would have enough power to turn the track! but it is more than fine and can go anywhere. It likely has been easier for her as the different power band has kept her from digging holes. Now when she jumps on my 800 she like it and feels it handles better. Her next one will be an 800.

Young guy like you should just go with the 800. The 600 is ok but just doesn't have that extra jam that puts a smile on your face. if your riding out west don't go shorter than something in the 150's track length. Ideally something in the 160's for all round riding.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you can never have too much power as long is there is not a huge weight trade off for the extra power which there is typically not between any brand 600's and 800's. Power can be your friend as long as you manage it properly and the power is there if you need it with an 800 over a 600. On the other hand you can be underpowered in certain situations with a 600 so unless you are concerned about fuel economy (if fuel economy is an issue should probably not be purchasing a snowmobile) or price differential is a big issue, as mentioned earlier, there is not much difference in price between a 600 and an 800 so why not go with the 800 as the power will be there if you need it. Have never heard anyone say this sled has too much power but have heard many say I wish I had a little more power.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you become a better rider if you start on a 600. You dont get to throttle your way outta situations, you actually have to ride. Your riding buddies might not be the biggest fans of this as they will be tugging on your skis lol. But then again your talkin to a guy that use to ride a 480 phazer 136" in the mountains and go everywhere the 700-800 use to, just not the straight up short route ha ha.

Yah but a phaser goes a 100mph!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son rode my 09 600 for one season and he is looking to move up to an 800. I agree with most here, go to 800 and if you plan to go into the moutians, minimum track is 155".

Dakine879

Reaction score
On board with everyone else.... but I am a VERY conservative rider... went from a 340 trail sled to an 800 for the mountains. Would have regretted a 600....

Degenstein19

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I guess I won't waste my time and money on a 600 anymore. Just take my time on an 800 and I'll definitely have no problem. I will for sure go with a track in the 150's not sure what brand of sled I'm goi with yet. Thanks for the replys!

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Newfoundland on 12 elan's and tundra's and last year was my first year in the mountains, i went from a yamaha bravo to a TSS turbo xm and if i can do it so can you:D

go with the 800, once your riding skill progresses you'll be thanking yourself in the end.

Also if you're going to be doing a lot of mountain riding the bigger the track the more forgiving it's going to be, you'll be able to move slower and take more time making decisions without the fear of getting stuck, there's a fine line between carrying momentum and being out of control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom