New Hockey Arena

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
people who are opposed to this arena are just being blind to the benifits because all they see is the rich getting richer, and they are jealous. its nopthing more than a sign of pettiness. they are willing to wish away something great for the city just becasue all they can wrap their heads around is katz making money, GOD FORBID. are there negatives to this yes, but the positives far out weigh.

so tough luck douches, katz will get what he wants, he will make more money off the arena, and our tax dollars will help him do that........all the while creating jobs, revenue, bringing more and bigger events into the city........chitty deal for us right??? damnit i wish they would take my tax dollars and build revamp some art and culture resource i will never use

Most people opposed me included, aren't opposed to a new arena or the cost, the issue is where the money is coming from and where the profits will be going. If katz put up 100% of the money, ya good on him to make all the money. But to say it's good to invest OUR tax dollars to make HIM and HIM only money is bullch!t. The city paying for roads, LRT, etc to the arena is fine, the arena itself is a different story. You pay, you say and you get the profit. As said before, many wrongs don't make a right. It would be a GREAT day if the city finally starting spending right. Probably to much to expect though....

I would LOVE if some people really opposed to it started a petition to refuse to pay city taxes if the city funds the arena on these stupid terms, imagine what the city would do if say 50,000 people said they would refuse to pay city taxes if they funded the arena, the city would be fawked. I'd really like to know where a lot of these extra tax dollars will come from to fund the arena. The community revitalization levy is a bunch of bullch!t and just takes tax dollars away from other things in a backdoor way. The city will have hell to pay if in a year or two they run out of money to keep fixing the roads because they funded the arena. But the gov't can just pull money from nothing right.....

I'd also like to know where they got the stats that 80% will use the arena or what the 80% is based off for a timeframe. I find that VERY hard to believe.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Most people opposed me included, aren't opposed to a new arena or the cost, the issue is where the money is coming from and where the profits will be going. If katz put up 100% of the money, ya good on him to make all the money. But to say it's good to invest OUR tax dollars to make HIM and HIM only money is bullch!t. The city paying for roads, LRT, etc to the arena is fine, the arena itself is a different story. You pay, you say and you get the profit. As said before, many wrongs don't make a right. It would be a GREAT day if the city finally starting spending right. Probably to much to expect though....

I would LOVE if some people really opposed to it started a petition to refuse to pay city taxes if the city funds the arena on these stupid terms, imagine what the city would do if say 50,000 people said they would refuse to pay city taxes if they funded the arena, the city would be fawked. I'd really like to know where a lot of these extra tax dollars will come from to fund the arena. The community revitalization levy is a bunch of bullch!t and just takes tax dollars away from other things in a backdoor way. The city will have hell to pay if in a year or two they run out of money to keep fixing the roads because they funded the arena. But the gov't can just pull money from nothing right.....

I'd also like to know where they got the stats that 80% will use the arena or what the 80% is based off for a timeframe. I find that VERY hard to believe.

The city would contact the lender and force forclosure.....

As for the 80% I'd guess that is an underestimate.... how many people in edmonton have never attended an event at rexall be it a concert, hockey game, circus, lacross, monster trucks, car show, fasion show, etc... I'd bet less than 20%...

Just sayin..

I agree with you in principal but.......ring ring... reality is on the phone, it wants you to aknowledge it's presence....

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point was why should the province kick money in on the arena when Edmonton and Katz will be the ones to benefit the most!Most likely Katz!If both sides are 100 million short kick in another 50 each then they can do what ever they want and run it how ever they see fit!!You hear about farmers getting grants and think all of us get them and figure all farmers run on government money not so!!You should look into what farmers get paid for their product and the huge mark up on your FOOD in the store believe me the money is all made after it leaves the farm!!Maybe put more effort into researching info before jumping on the farmer bashing band wagon but I guess it is just easier to throw stones heh!Maybe get into how much the oil field gets from the government and I'd bet you would still bitch about farmers!!Oil and agriculture is what this province was built on!!Maybe take the money the government is supposed to kick in and give it to the small towns across the province!!!That's where most of the best hockey players seem to be from anyways!!!Maybe I should change my name on here and pretend to be from the city and I bet the idiots with the farmer bashing arguments would be lost and speechless!!!!

Comeon B.farmer....stop painting your industry all doom & gloom......the grain farmer has been making record incomes in the last few years (not the cattle guys though). The average grain farmer has been getting VERY impressive margins on their product.....lets look at canola....input costs with seed, fuel, fertilizer can reach $200 to even $250 per acre......the average return is around 50 bu/acre (some might only get 30 and some are in the high 60's)....I am going to use 50 bu/acre x $12.00 per bushel (that has been the ave in the last 2-3 years.....with a high of almost $15.bu and a low of high 7's).....50 bu/acre x $12.00/bu average is $600 income per acre. With a cost of around $230 for inputs that is a margin of 160%!!! I realize wheat and other cereals are not as high but the input costs are a lot lower also.
So stop saying farming is hard because you guys are making money now more than you ever have......

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The city would contact the lender and force forclosure.....As for the 80% I'd guess that is an underestimate.... how many people in edmonton have never attended an event at rexall be it a concert, hockey game, circus, lacross, monster trucks, car show, fasion show, etc... I'd bet less than 20%...Just sayin..I agree with you in principal but.......ring ring... reality is on the phone, it wants you to aknowledge it's presence....
What about free and clear houses? Not sure if it would work like a lien but if you put the money in trust mortgage company can't do anything. Also foreclosing is not a simple or easy task. Not to mention if it was that many people, I guarantee the city would backdown. I can say I watch the oilers a lot but been over 10 years since I've been to rexall for anything, wouldn't hurt my feelings to go another 10 or 20. A ticket tax is one of the best ways to pay for the arena, unless the city gets a good return on the money. There is plenty of better places to spend the money like roads were 100% of people use and benefit from.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No government money was used to build the bridge---Private financing only.User pays tolls which pay for bridge.Then they give the bridge to government in 2032.
The federal government built a fawking bridge to PEI... TO PEI????? the feds have already set aside cash for Quebecs new arena in hopes the will get a team... If government is gonna waste cash they might as well waste it on something I'm gonna enjoy..I'm sure blue collar edmonton will get more use out of an arena than an art gallery........

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Regardless we would be getting a new arena weather its with Katz's Oilers or 10 years from now trying to attract a new NHL team we would be getting one buy now while it's cheaper

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
No government money was used to build the bridge---Private financing only.User pays tolls which pay for bridge.Then they give the bridge to government in 2032.

The Confederation Bridge was designed and built by SCDI, a international private sector consortium. SCDI will operate and maintain the bridge for 35 years after which time it will be transferred to the Government of Canada.
Financing for the bridge was of an indirect nature- i.e the government of Canada did not borrow funds directly to build the bridge. Capital was provided by a New Brunswick Crown Corporation, Strait Crossing Finance Inc, which issued bonds in order to raise the money to build the bridge. This bond issue was secured by the Government of Canada which pledged to retire the bonds with a stream of annual payments of $41.9 million (1992 dollars) over thirty-five years. This sum is an estimate of the value of the annual subsidy which formerly went toward the Borden-Cape Tormentine ferry service.
SCDI is entitled to all toll revenue from the bridge for 35 years. Toll revenue will also be used to pay for bridge operations and maintenance during this period.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comeon B.farmer....stop painting your industry all doom & gloom......the grain farmer has been making record incomes in the last few years (not the cattle guys though). The average grain farmer has been getting VERY impressive margins on their product.....lets look at canola....input costs with seed, fuel, fertilizer can reach $200 to even $250 per acre......the average return is around 50 bu/acre (some might only get 30 and some are in the high 60's)....I am going to use 50 bu/acre x $12.00 per bushel (that has been the ave in the last 2-3 years.....with a high of almost $15.bu and a low of high 7's).....50 bu/acre x $12.00/bu average is $600 income per acre. With a cost of around $230 for inputs that is a margin of 160%!!! I realize wheat and other cereals are not as high but the input costs are a lot lower also.
So stop saying farming is hard because you guys are making money now more than you ever have......

A little off topic, but keep in mind how much everything else has went up. Fertalizer has quadrupled if not more, fuel has doubled, land prices continually go up, a new combine is 400g, seed dill 200g, 4 wheel drive 300g etc etc. so say it cost 250 an acre to put in an you make 600 off it. Right off the top subtract $40 an acre for rent, 1200$ per day per combine for fuel, "x" amount for drying costs etc etc. and in the spring put up close to a million bucks (4000 acre farm) to do it all again. It's not all sunshine and puppies like some people make it out to be.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too late ,she`s done boys ...........Now we all gotta pay our 30$ more a year...................lol
Unless something changed today it's far from done. Province has repeatedly said they are giving no money, yet the deal is structured with 100 mil from the province.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but keep in mind how much everything else has went up. Fertalizer has quadrupled if not more, fuel has doubled, land prices continually go up, a new combine is 400g, seed dill 200g, 4 wheel drive 300g etc etc. so say it cost 250 an acre to put in an you make 600 off it. Right off the top subtract $40 an acre for rent, 1200$ per day per combine for fuel, "x" amount for drying costs etc etc. and in the spring put up close to a million bucks (4000 acre farm) to do it all again. It's not all sunshine and puppies like some people make it out to be.
My area it's between 80 to 100$ an acre rent!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless something changed today it's far from done. Province has repeatedly said they are giving no money, yet the deal is structured with 100 mil from the province.

The great thing is the province won't budge, or they will be giving calgary the same money in a very short time. Atleast one level of government is smart on the issue.

Top Bottom