Need some opinions....

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 Summit X 670, has a few mods, runs real good. I am trying to sell or trade it for a quad, so I can have some summer time fun. I have been offered a 1992 Yamaha Big Bear 350 quad. I know NOTHING about these things. He's asking $2700 for his quad and I have my sled listed for $3900. He said he just put $1000 into it, and the motor is bored 20 over.

- Are these a good quad for a newbie?
- Is it worth trading straight across?
- Is it a 4X4 quad?
- What are some thing I should look for and ask about?

I know what I have in the Summit and its an excellent sled. I know the season is over and people are looking for sweet deals, but Im not looking to get taken advantage of either. So, I thought I would come to my fellow sledding, and maybe quadding friends, and ask for some help in making sure I am heading down the right path. Any input would be great, THANKS. :d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I honestly think the $3900 for the summit is a bit high.....I bought the wifes 99 670X with 1500miles for $3000 in Feb...and now is a bad time to try to sell...Far as the quad goes just like anything else it all depends on how well it was taken care of..a big bear is 4x4 and will handle the trails/mud no problem.

I'd like another summit but I'm not willing to part with my foreman

Best of luck in your hunt.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 Summit X 670, has a few mods, runs real good. I am trying to sell or trade it for a quad, so I can have some summer time fun. I have been offered a 1992 Yamaha Big Bear 350 quad. I know NOTHING about these things. He's asking $2700 for his quad and I have my sled listed for $3900. He said he just put $1000 into it, and the motor is bored 20 over.

- Is it a 4X4 quad?

I know what I have in the Summit and its an excellent sled. I know the season is over and people are looking for sweet deals, but Im not looking to get taken advantage of either. So, I thought I would come to my fellow sledding, and maybe quadding friends, and ask for some help in making sure I am heading down the right path. Any input would be great, THANKS. :d

You will not be able to sell your summit for that high of a price, maybe $2500... if your lucky. Sorry for the bad news. The price for the Big Bear seems a little high too, I know if you spend a bit more you could easly get a honda 450 or 400. Nothing but good things about the honda's and they're really reliable. Take some time and look on kijiji.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have it posted on KIJIJI, for trade or sale. Thats the only quad that was offered. I paid $3900 for the sled in october 08. I cant take that big of a loss. Im not working with cash, just the sled.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

- Is it a 4X4 quad?

I had a 1997 Yamy Kodiak,a 400 not 350 .Basically the same.It is a tough quad....Here are the cons.DRUM BRAKES..SUCK the rear diff is not the greatest setup i had to put a rear end in mine at 8000 k.Imean axel and ring/crown gear.It is hard to explain on a computer .i HAD IT FOR NINE YEARS ,IT IS A GREAT MACHINE ,DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU WANT IT TO DOO FOR YOU AND WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.Ask if the rear diff has been replaced ,how many k are on it ?Very strong quad and yes that was my first bike and i learned to ride on it.The brakes were the thing that i had to contend with .If you have to stop in a hurrey you are screwed.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At work, we still have a 1995 big bear. The brakes are constantly out of adjustment, and we have had it in a few times to get looked at. All of the shops say that the brakes are not the best on the older big bears.... I don't know if they are all bad, but it is frustrating with ours. The electric starter seems a bit weak as well, but other than that, the quad is very good. It took a lot of abuse over the last couple of years, and still goes. The only other thing is that the front differential doesn't lock up at all, so it is actually 4x3, not 4x4. I would recommend looking for a honda foreman for that amount of money, but that's just me.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can delete this thread. I got the info I needed, THANKS S&Mer's :d

Top Bottom