Need info please MXZ X 440

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 2004 MXZ X 440 tonight for the wife. Don't know much about them, could use some info on what to watch out for. It's been trail converted, has 1700 km, never been raced (so he says). Are these good trail sleds or are they a pain in the ### to set up and keep running. Any info would be great, Thanks.

tchcont

Reaction score
what was converted?
probably have to change head , most required high
octane fuel. also have to pre-mix fuel , and the susp. is
usaully set quite stiff.
if your a agressive rider they are a hoot;)

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has low compression domes on it, bigger fuel tank, 1 3/4 track. Comes with all the factory stuff, high comp head, small tank. Not too sure what else.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has low compression domes on it, bigger fuel tank, 1 3/4 track. Comes with all the factory stuff, high comp head, small tank. Not too sure what else.

Fun little sleds, don't expect it to last forever like a stocker, might have been ridden like a rented mule in its past life :D, sometimes they are high strung tempermental, port timing could be raised, or have thicker base gaskets, might be a little hard starting at times due to this, etc. Check jetting make sure its not on the ragged edge (look at plug colour and piston wash).

Pre-mix is a good thing!

Since domes were changed, comp should be ok but find out if timing was changed as well to make sure it was adjusted accordingly. If you're going to run it in deep snow or soft snow, you'll need better skis and not race pizza cutters if it has them, make sure this is negotiated in the purchase price. Low windshield might have to be tossed for a more "lady" friendly one. Not sure it if will have handlebar/thumb heaters etc for those that like things a little more "comfortable". Not sure about a headlight either. Just things to think about when buying and negotiating price.

If you buy it - don't be suprised if your wife passes you on the trail! :D

Good luck!

Misfit

Reaction score
An auto temp. adjuster like a holztman tempa flow is a great piece to put on any carburated sled. A powder sock is also a good idea for the air box on the side panel and running Isopropyl would be a good idea too. These are all things I had to learn on my own when I first bought my 04 440. With out the air filter sock I was constantly sucking in snow and freezing my carbs and the isopropyl helps that as well. The holztman gauget is great unless you like messing with jetting EVERY day unless you like that sort of thing. And yes you will need to have all the shocks adjusted accordingly unless you think your wife not being able to sit properly for a few days after a good ride is a funny thing. If you are looking for a tamer low buck sled for the wife then maybe a 500ss would be a good sled to look around for.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I checked it out and not too good. Oil everywhere, track shot, clutches worn. Keep looking I guess. Anyone with a good chick sled for sale around Edmonton let me know. I'll probally spend 5k for the right sled. Thanks for all the reply's.

Top Bottom