Moutain ski's

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 06 apex not the mtn version just the rtx.
Can i put the yamaha moutain ski's on it or do i need a kit for it?
they are way cheaper then simmons or any other after market ski.
or does anyone have a pair willing to sell?

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never run stock ski's again unless you are looking for a wreck.They are the most dangerous ski's on the market.Spend the money on a set of good ski's

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why are the best ski's yamaha makes for the moutains dangerous?

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When there is a little cust on the snow they will start to dart all over the place then you will end up on your a$$.I had it do this once only thing is I got it stopped in time.My Uncle was not so lucky.Check on other forums or read some snow mags you will see that every says to change them out.There is a reason that they a cheap and everyone is getting rid of them.If you want to just trail ride they will work awsome but it's a different story if the powder.

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even with the moutain ski's you see on all the yamaha "moutain" versions?

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See the Red ski's on my sled in my avatart.Those are the mountain ski's,I now have the sly dog (powder hounds) which are awsome also float very well in the deep powder.They are about 450-500 for a set pure addication motorsports sells them.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ive had 2 new yammy mountain sleds in the past two years and i cant say i ever had a much of a problem with them. but they did give good floatation in all the conditions i faced, i never really had the problem that new24stroke is describing but thats not to say you wont.

GRD

Reaction score
I have always ran stock skis... Is the benefit of upgrading worth the cost? My sled is an 2004 VE RMK 800.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have always ran stock skis... Is the benefit of upgrading worth the cost? My sled is an 2004 VE RMK 800.

Thats interesting,I've also always ran stock ski's,untill now.I just put on a set of powderhounds and wasnt sure about upgrading and will be very interested to see what kind of a differance it makes.For 450.00 bucks I'm hoping its significant.
catmando!

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with the stock ski's on my 03 800 summit.They are awsome how ever with the yamaha ski's it's a different story.They dart really bad.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to hear who upgraded to Simmons or powderhounds,What did you notice most,from what I hear the biggest improvement would be sidehilling.
catmando!

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the simmons ski the best trail ski available.......no darting
Simmons are the worst ski I have ever used to sidehill on firm or spring snow.
Stock A.C. skis are the worst on the trail , ice and hard pack. Powder tri keels are good all around ski. In the powder stock A.C. s are hands down the best No one ski does everything well. Skis only take 10 minutes to change so its no big deal. Stockers to start the season...Mods to finnish the season.
P.S. Simmons flex skis really live up to there name, but a bit heavy.

This is my findings from riding a M1000
My apex had stockers and simmons made it much more predictable thats for sure.

GRD

Reaction score
I like climbing, side hilling and boon docking... I have stock skis, if I were planning to change to after market skis, what should I put on?

Top Bottom