Mountian sled comfort question for tall riders?

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
Been on a trail type ride all season and looking to switch to a mountian ride.
Just wondering if there are any that seem more comfortable for taller rides as I had a knee operation and the taller seat seems easyer on it.
Also tired of getting stuck often.
I have only rode a m8 for a short time and it was better than mine on knee but not greatly.
It also felt light on front steering taking a secend to react.
Any input on other machines would be great?
Don

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
its all going to be preference man, they all feel different and its a preference thing, i personaly like the feel of my M8 more than the others i have tried. that said if i started on a doo my opinion may be different, go out with some people and try a couple different sleds. what ever feels best is whats best for you.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup all preference, I try not to be brand biased but I am used to skidoo's. I am about 6'3" and find that all the seats feel to low, most feel too wide, and all the bars are too low. The seat I can deal with since I stand 90% of the time but I will be switching from moto bars and 8" riser (10" total) to a 10" riser for 12" total.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Will your knee bother you if you always stand while riding? I don't sit down very often on my XP and my knees don't bother me at all. Standing is better for my knees; how is the AC for always standing? Your choice or preference.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they're all gonna be hard on your knee with the forward riding position these days. Pretty much everything I've ridden lately is slamming my knees in beside the tank when I'm going down hill.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As stated. Preference. I am 6'4" and have had a hip replacement. I ride a M1000 and really like the setup. I have a tall riser in the steering post and a extra tall seat. It is very short distance from sitting to standing. Make sure that you do not bend or stoop to grap the bars. Getting old sucks. Kinda nice that with some well thought out ergo mods, the sled can be very comfortable. For ME, the trail is the least enjoyable part, but the mountain riding is awesome. Good luck.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been on a trail type ride all season and looking to switch to a mountian ride.
Just wondering if there are any that seem more comfortable for taller rides as I had a knee operation and the taller seat seems easyer on it.
Also tired of getting stuck often.
I have only rode a m8 for a short time and it was better than mine on knee but not greatly.
It also felt light on front steering taking a secend to react.
Don
Riding dirt bikes and being tall my theory was 'stand when you have to, sit down when you can'. Going from sitting to standing constantly was harder than learning how to ride efficiently standing on the pegs. It seems that most of the new sleds can be ridden in the standing position most of the time so learning that would be a priority and then learn how to ride sitting comfortably on the bumpy trail back to the truck...

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am about 6' tall and ride an xp. Personally, I love it but I do believe that your comfort will be a personal preference as I have quite a few tall friends who all ride different machines. I agree with everyone about having the tall riser and seat, I have a 10" riser on my ride and it works very well for me.

I think they're all gonna be hard on your knee with the forward riding position these days. Pretty much everything I've ridden lately is slamming my knees in beside the tank when I'm going down hill.

I had the same issue, even smashed my oil tank with my knee last winter. I got some of these Troy Lee Designs/Shock Doctor Padded Knee and Shin Guards and my knees haven't been smashed at all this winter! :Happy6: And they are actually very comfortable. :)

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ride a polaris and have had knee surgery,taller seat was best money spent also taller riser with better skis

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Gotta remember the original question was for tall riders,lol

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is much more comfortable to ride the bumps standing than sitting, IMHO.....just saying

Depends on the circumstance I guess. Big bumps - standing is almost mandatory, but after a long day with bad knees 'sit when you can' is much better on the pain factor. I try to find the smoothest parts and sit at the sleds pivot point and keep the speed just right - works for me a lot of way down.

Maniac1

Reaction score
Website
www.jurassicattack.com
Lots of good feedback, thanks guys. Did not expect so much feedback so quickly.
Will keep looking as there is lots of time till next season and still happy with what we have at the moment.

bourgon

Reaction score
I think doo xp has the most leg/foot room had a 08 and I am 6-4 found it really good for the knees!

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good feedback, thanks guys. Did not expect so much feedback so quickly.
Will keep looking as there is lots of time till next season and still happy with what we have at the moment.
I have the same problem knee surgery and tor up my left leg this year going over the handle bars and my left foot stayed in the sturup and ouch. Higher riser 8" on a s/c apex and I try to sit back as much as possible going down the trail alot easier on the knees. I also wear football lineman knee braces for both knees and they work real well with not letting the knee go the wrong way. These knee bracis have a steel hinge at the knee so u can bend real easy but it won't alow the knee to go the other way. When I ride my sled they work real well but when I ride my sons m8 it works the same, the cost is about $90 per leg a cheap fix so u can keep on riding and getting old does suck.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I had the chance to ride our M6 for three days in a row a few weeks back. It has a Skinz seat which sits about 3 - 1/2" over stock. I found that after a days riding my legs felt alot better than after spending a day on my 1M. Even though I have modified the seat on the 1M to sit higher, when I sit my knees are still bent over 90 degrees, which make the sit to stand transition alot harder. As for a riser, in my own opinion adjustable is the way to go. When seated or doing technical the lower height I find is better, if standing for riding big bumps then a tall riser works great.

Top Bottom