Marathon Decks

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am wondering who else has had issues with the new lightweight Marathon ramps deforming;
a) Either in the longitudinal members (sag) or

b) The struts bending when caught by the track lugs….

It appears to me that the product is made of material, which does not have thick enough walls and or the cross sectional profile is not big enough.

My neighbour has an older deck /w ramps, which have not deformed at all.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm this is Interesting and I was thinking about buying a Marathon deck.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The overall design is good, I just think the ramp needs material with thicker walls and cross-sections.

When I was at Renshaw (Mid February) we were loading the sleds at the end of the last trip. The sled spun its track halfway up and 3 struts got bent/twisted.

I took it back & Marathon did fix them the struts. When I extend the ramp completely and look down the length, there is a definate sag to the stringers...

I have mentioned this to them and suggest they beef the ramps back up. They said they'd not been having problems with quads or sleds and were trying to minimize weight. I'll take a ramp that's 20 lbs heavier any day of the week if it means that it lasts in the long run. A quad with operator works out to 3.9 lbs per square inch (1000 lbs/256 square inches). A sled when it spins out as a minimum will exert 250 lbs per square inch.. (1000 lbs/(16"x0.25")) then throw in a few other factors... approx. All the weight, gravity plus speed of the track will act one the one lug/strut combination that catches. Use a heavier sled (Yammy, Cat) and you'r up to 325 lbs/in2.

I asked the rep. what forces the ramps were designed for and could not get an answer. I think these guys forgot to design for the worst case scenario [not the best case with a fudge factor] which is what a good engineer always does....

As long as this thing keeps bending.... I'll keep taking it back.... until its fixed and right!!

Humm this is Interesting and I was thinking about buying a Marathon deck.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The overall design is good, I just think the ramp needs material with thicker walls and cross-sections.

When I was at Renshaw (Mid February) we were loading the sleds at the end of the last trip. The sled spun its track halfway up and 3 struts got bent/twisted.

I took it back & Marathon did fix them the struts. When I extend the ramp completely and look down the length, there is a definate sag to the stringers...

I have mentioned this to them and suggest they beef the ramps back up. They said they'd not been having problems with quads or sleds and were trying to minimize weight. I'll take a ramp that's 20 lbs heavier any day of the week if it means that it lasts in the long run. A quad with operator works out to 3.9 lbs per square inch (1000 lbs/256 square inches). A sled when it spins out as a minimum will exert 250 lbs per square inch.. (1000 lbs/(16"x0.25")) then throw in a few other factors... approx. All the weight, gravity plus speed of the track will act one the one lug/strut combination that catches. Use a heavier sled (Yammy, Cat) and you'r up to 325 lbs/in2.

I asked the rep. what forces the ramps were designed for and could not get an answer. I think these guys forgot to design for the worst case scenario [not the best case with a fudge factor] which is what a good engineer always does....

As long as this thing keeps bending.... I'll keep taking it back.... until its fixed and right!!
Thats fine if you live near the factory, in my case I wonder where could get warrenty work done.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info, i am still thinking of getting a deck this year and will most likely get a marathon deck but will be asking ? about ramp.:cool:

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why I think before you buy it you need to be asking some serious questions about what their designs (load factors) are based on.....

That warranty work you would need to discuss with them before you signed on the dotted line.... who pays for shipping, etc....

Thats fine if you live near the factory, in my case I wonder where could get warrenty work done.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if warranty work needs to be done you'll have to bring it to them! They seem good when i stopped and talked to them at the shop in edm, still think thats were i'll get my deck at.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you talked to Marathon about this. Maybe go talk to Marathon about your issues and see if they are aware of this issue. Maybe they have a fix for you already. They have a very good reputation on standing up to their products.

Last edited:

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Glen:

Yes I've talked with them and yes they have made the repairs.... there is no argument there...

Have you talked to Marathon about this. Maybe go talk to Marathon about your issues and see if they are aware of this issue. Maybe they have a fix for you already. They have a very good reputation on standing up to their products.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
We at Marathon are constantly trying to bring the highest quality product to our customers with everything that we do. There is a reason that our decks are built with extruded aluminium profiles because it's the strongest and lightest form with which to construct a deck to safely carry your toys and ours. We are always trying to find ways to improve and inovate as that is also something that our customers expect from us. We build our decks in Alberta with a fantastic crew of skilled aluminium welders so that we can maintain the top level of quality that our customers expect from us. Marathon decks are used on trucks in many different countries because we make the strongest and best functioning deck on the market. There are hundreds of Marathon commercial survey units in use all over western Canada today and everyday. This is our testing ground as the owner and several of the employees of Marathon are also sledders and quaders.

People that deal with Marathon know that we stand behind our product and will always try to go the extra mile to meet our customers needs. In some cases it's just a matter of edjucating the public on the use of our product and sometimes it means refining a product as sleds get longer and quads get bigger. Our decks and ramps go through various forms of testing from static load bearing to F.E.A. testing. The Marathon deck has gone through many changes in the ten years that we've been building them in Edmonton and I know that we will only get better.

"Thats fine if you live near the factory, in my case I wonder where could get warrenty work done."

We have an extensive network of dealers, if you have any issues please refer to your nearest one.

Thank you

Michelle
Production manager
Marathon Truck Decks
Marathon Decks - Aluminum Welded Decks, Sled Decks, Snowmobile Decks, ATV Decks, Quad Decks, Telescopic Ramps and Truck Decks - Marathon Marine

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you the lady at the boat show that i was talking too about the deck on the truck from one of my competitor's truck's????

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HEY CHELLE, THAT WAS VERY WELL PUT, AND JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT EVEN THE EMPLOYEES BELIEVE IN THE PRODUCT. THAT IS THE SIGN OF A GOOD PRODUCT AND A WELL RUN COMPANY......... :):)

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all you soon to be purchasers of Marathon Decks - I have a used older style marathon sled deck for sale to fit short box truck. Beavertail with 2 piece ramp. $1,800 - if interested please get in touch. Sherwood Park.

Marathon builds an awesome deck and it is good to see there comments above.

Thanks

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Michelle are you located in the Marathon's office across from the Holiday Inn on 73 Ave..?

Nobody mentioned that your workforce was not skilled or questioned their skill sets. Nobody said you did not stand behind your product!

Before everyone gets twisted out of shape... understand the original question. I asked a simple question....!

Secondly, do I believe the ramp is made of material that is to light..... without a question... (and this was expressed to your people by myself, the last time I was in I even wanted to speak with the engineer. I also asked if your company was using the same material as in all the other ramps... material does get mislabelled) With less than 18 on/off cycles of man and machine.....you can see the changes...

Have I questioned the deck design........."No"

My impression was; your personnel’s comments implied I was doing something improper... and my ramp was the only one ever to have problems.... The sleds are drive up the ramp at or below the 8km/h maximum speed as identified by your warning labels...

As for the testing... that's another discussion...! I'll show you the ramp... you explain the deformation... (I do understand structural analysis)

I'll be in to see you on Wednesday... Are you in ay 1030 hrs....???

We at Marathon are constantly trying to bring the highest quality product to our customers with everything that we do. There is a reason that our decks are built with extruded aluminium profiles because it's the strongest and lightest form with which to construct a deck to safely carry your toys and ours. We are always trying to find ways to improve and inovate as that is also something that our customers expect from us. We build our decks in Alberta with a fantastic crew of skilled aluminium welders so that we can maintain the top level of quality that our customers expect from us. Marathon decks are used on trucks in many different countries because we make the strongest and best functioning deck on the market. There are hundreds of Marathon commercial survey units in use all over western Canada today and everyday. This is our testing ground as the owner and several of the employees of Marathon are also sledders and quaders.

People that deal with Marathon know that we stand behind our product and will always try to go the extra mile to meet our customers needs. In some cases it's just a matter of edjucating the public on the use of our product and sometimes it means refining a product as sleds get longer and quads get bigger. Our decks and ramps go through various forms of testing from static load bearing to F.E.A. testing. The Marathon deck has gone through many changes in the ten years that we've been building them in Edmonton and I know that we will only get better.

"Thats fine if you live near the factory, in my case I wonder where could get warrenty work done."

We have an extensive network of dealers, if you have any issues please refer to your nearest one.

Thank you

Michelle
Production manager
Marathon Truck Decks
Marathon Decks - Aluminum Welded Decks, Sled Decks, Snowmobile Decks, ATV Decks, Quad Decks, Telescopic Ramps and Truck Decks - Marathon Marine

I Dare Ya Rene!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eaglevalleymarine.com
I have had my Marathon Deck for 2 weeks and love it. My sled weighs more than 700 lbs and I am 225lbs + 30lbs of gear!!!!! IMHO the ramp is far superior to my last 2 decks! Marathon has been great to deal with and I am sure they will help you with a solution for your ramp problems!

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Ya Jeremy that's me. I like to get out to the show's and listen to what people say about our products. We learn a lot from the feedback of our users. Many of the improvements that we've brought in over the past couple years have been initiated by our cusomers ideas.

Next time I think we need a beat up ol piece o' crap to throw a deck on as so many people were drooling over that big black one ton chevy. We even had people climbing under it.

G

Guest1

My $0.02 is that Marathon is a GREAT (the best) deck (lots of copycats out their now) but I agree with CW about the ramp...Marathon (IMO) should agree to meet with him at his convenience, satisfy his questions and concerns then give him a BRAND NEW ramp.

OVER!!!

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
Hi CdnWrangler

Come on by, I'll be here. Sometimes I think I live here.

We will do everything that we can to figure out what's causing your ramp to deform. If we had a batch of aluminum ramp material that did not get tempered properly or something like that then I certainly wish to get to the bottom of it.

My comments about our deck and this company are simply a response to you making your ramp issues public. That's all. Nothing personal.

Cheers

Michelle are you located in the Marathon's office across from the Holiday Inn on 73 Ave..?

Nobody mentioned that your workforce was not skilled or questioned their skill sets. Nobody said you did not stand behind your product!

Before everyone gets twisted out of shape... understand the original question. I asked a simple question....!

Secondly, do I believe the ramp is made of material that is to light..... without a question... (and this was expressed to your people by myself, the last time I was in I even wanted to speak with the engineer. I also asked if your company was using the same material as in all the other ramps... material does get mislabelled) With less than 18 on/off cycles of man and machine.....you can see the changes...

Have I questioned the deck design........."No"

My impression was; your personnel’s comments implied I was doing something improper... and my ramp was the only one ever to have problems.... The sleds are drive up the ramp at or below the 8km/h maximum speed as identified by your warning labels...

As for the testing... that's another discussion...! I'll show you the ramp... you explain the deformation... (I do understand structural analysis)

I'll be in to see you on Wednesday... Are you in ay 1030 hrs....???

G

Guest1

My comments about our deck and this company are simply a response to you making your ramp issues public.

That is the great thing about a forum. If a peep has an issue that is not being addressed they have a place to ask questions. Good to see S&M allowing a peep to voice his concerns with a product and not delete the thread because Marathon is an advertiser here (like some other sites).

:D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I have had my Marathon Deck for 2 weeks and love it. My sled weighs more than 700 lbs and I am 225lbs + 30lbs of gear!!!!! IMHO the ramp is far superior to my last 2 decks! Marathon has been great to deal with and I am sure they will help you with a solution for your ramp problems!

AND I KNOW, IF ANYONE IS GONNA BE HARD ON A DECK IT WOULD BE RENE.... HIS DECK PROBABLY GETS A DAILY ABUSE PUT ON IT.......THIS IS WHY HE CHOSE MARATHON.... BEST IN THE BUSINESS.....;)

Top Bottom