Mabel lake

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few of us were at mabel lake for a week , had a freak storm go thru , lots of damage to lots of boats. Boats in the slips took most of the beating couple pontoon boats best all yo hell with leaking pontoons, a few tupperware boats looked ok in morning but by afternoon were starting to fill up from cracks. ****ty deal but buddy clints boat was one of the worst , we pulled it out next morning, gonna need a totsl do over . Thank god for insurance .
Pretty weird storm , locals said hadnt seen that bad in lots of years, was over in s couple hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 319

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's crazy! How did it sink? Size of the waves or heavy rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not cool......looks like a new motor may be in order

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen Mabel blow up in a hurry before, looks like it's not uncommon.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No sorry Ric, it hit about 8 at night it was almost dark plus we were pretty busy trying to get our boats secure. People renting the house down from us had a really nice pontoon boat, they pulled it out and the whole starboard side was beat all to hell plus the fronts of that pontoon plus the Center one were bent bad on the fronts, huge damage. There were some boats in the morning that guys thought were ok , but later in the day quite a few were leaking from cracks that were pretty tough to see. There were also 2 more pontoon boats in morning that were listing really bad in the slips, obviously taking on water. Crappy deal for sure.
What I think happened is it was tethered on a buoy in water that was not deep enough, the waves were stupid big, on the ups and downs of the waves I believe it probably hit bottom then the next big wave pounded it, couldn't go down anymore and it blew out the Center front window, didn't take long after that. It'll get fixed and he'll have a brand new boat but screws up this summer for him. Mine came thru it ok, just wrecked the wrap on one side , not an expensive fix coulda been a hell of a lot worse , other buddies Edge came thru unscathed.
Just an opinion, the whole slip and walkway system looks pretty spiffy and high end , but something's not right, the whole system was bucking and rearing up like none I've ever seen, the waves were huge but man, all the boats in there just got the absolute $hit beat out them. Freak storm , $hit happens, nobody died, just gonna be a lot of money spent on toys.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crazy........ I was at Mabel a lot as a kid. I've seen storms, but not one to sink boats!!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crappy deal.... It's nice to be able to leave boats in the water, but with storms like that or some fawk tard screws with ur sh!t and there goes that

I take my boat out after each use, was starting to think that's a bad choice , but this compounds it as a better choice, cause ya just never know

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not cool......looks like a new motor may be in order
Maybe not.. pump it out so floating and get on trailer, drain and flush fluids and fire it up.

I load my prostar everynight and guy I know laughed at me till this happened to his boat one night. We flushed everything out and ran it. He used that boat for another 10 years without an issue.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
So Larsens Super marina isn't so Super? I looked at that and thought their breakwater wasn't nearly enough for the new facility if Thor really got going. 20 years ago Kelowna Yacht Club and Marina had one as well. Sunk boats in the Yacht club......Up to 30' Cruisers. It was nutty. All happened in 2 minutes.
Safe boating.
CM

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Larsens Super marina isn't so Super? I looked at that and thought their breakwater wasn't nearly enough for the new facility if Thor really got going. 20 years ago Kelowna Yacht Club and Marina had one as well. Sunk boats in the Yacht club......Up to 30' Cruisers. It was nutty. All happened in 2 minutes.
Safe boating.
CM

Im not an expert on marinas or how to build slips etc, so am certainly not qualified to comment on whether it's super or not. As I said , looks very well done, nice walkways and such, but it just seemed to me to be kinda out of step with itself at the flex joints or places where one section attaches to the next. You probably had to be there to get what I'm saying but the way the different sections were moving so far up and down, so violently and traveling so far just seemed not right. A lot of the boats in there , I think depending where they were , didn't stand a chance of not getting damage, whether hull cracking, graphics ripping, paint scarring or on the pontoon boats just beating and denting the crap out of the pontoons sides and ends. i think some of the problems were probably knots that failed , but I pulled mine out when after only 10-15 minutes one of the cleats I was tied to on the front actually ripped out of the wood it was in.
So sorry whoever built it, yeah I know it was a freak storm but it didn't seem right to me.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't matter how tough you make something Mother Nature can and will wreck it!

I am no expert either and have not seem the set up at Mable lake, but a dock there's probably a fine line of to flex alb and not flex able enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were on the Shuswap Saturday and I just got my boat out and back to Pierre's Point when a wicked storm rolled in. We were season holders at Glen Echo resort for many years and never seen such an intense wind. Guys lost awnings and some boats took in water.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a different the WHEN makes in this situation. Middle of the afternoon with everyone being on the water and the story could of been worse. Still sucks!!

Top Bottom