Lost beacon on frisbee

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lost my beacon up frisbee by the second cabin down in the trees on sat the 7th. Oh ya its a black and yellow sos. Pm if u come across it. Thx

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one wondering the same thing. I don't turn mine off till I get back to the room and get unsuited.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe he was testing it, if that's that's the case, smart thinking.

Smart thinking would be, once you realize you lost it, to go back with friends that have beacons and search for it. Two things get accomplished doing this,
1 you find your beacon
2 your friends get a chance to practice their beacons skills.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and doo I ask, what were you doing in the trees with your beacon off????? Not that it is a safety issue.....just saying
I knew i this would come up and will prob get more flak wen i explain, but i did learn my lesson so you guys can save the lectures. Ive been keepin my beacon in my pant pocket while riding just lately,,,,and while tree bashing along the line my pocket mustve caught a branch and tore a big hole in it releasing the beacon somewhere unknown. Itll be on the body when i get a new one.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like an old analogue SOS beacon you lost? If it is and you don't find it, you might have just done your friends a favor. It's time for an upgrade whether you find it or not. A new digital beacon will give your riding buddies a much greater chance of making it home alive if you ever encounter an avalanche. Our riding group got rid of all the analogue beacons after we took our ast1 with zacs and were taught how hard the analoges were to use and how much more effective the digitals ones were.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i was plannin on upgrading to a mammot or pieps, no choice now, plus it woulda been nice to have the sos for a lender/back-up if needed.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smart thinking would be, once you realize you lost it, to go back with friends that have beacons and search for it. Two things get accomplished doing this,1 you find your beacon2 your friends get a chance to practice their beacons skills.
that was the idea but it was nearing the end of the day with to much area to cover and to many other riders around that werent in our group that wouldnt be switchin their beacons to search. So I left er be with the idea of gettin a new one.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of wearing Beacons I seen some ppl with them on the outside of there clothes, I don't know if that's a good idea. Couple reasons if u have to dress down for the bathroom, ect, it would be a pain, and u could for get it. Also if in the trees it could catch a tree and rip it off u or u off the sled.
Just something to think about

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was the idea but it was nearing the end of the day with to much area to cover and to many other riders around that werent in our group that wouldnt be switchin their beacons to search. So I left er be with the idea of gettin a new one.

That changes everything. Others in the area would make it more difficult. and not knowing how big an area you have to cover also ups the anti of finding it. An upgrade doesn't hurt either.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I knew i this would come up and will prob get more flak wen i explain, but i did learn my lesson so you guys can save the lectures. Ive been keepin my beacon in my pant pocket while riding just lately,,,,and while tree bashing along the line my pocket mustve caught a branch and tore a big hole in it releasing the beacon somewhere unknown. Itll be on the body when i get a new one.

That is starting to be the industry standard, many companies are putting a clip and extra little mesh pocket inside the pocket to hold your beacon, just not sure if the Sled wear guys are doing it yet. As I have said before not such a big deal if it is under your gear or pocket just wear one AND a back pack with all the gear, so sick of seeing guys here in Revy with NO packs????(not saying you scrfce as you HAD it) just saying in general.

trailblazer

Reaction score
Speaking of wearing Beacons I seen some ppl with them on the outside of there clothes, I don't know if that's a good idea. Couple reasons if u have to dress down for the bathroom, ect, it would be a pain, and u could for get it. Also if in the trees it could catch a tree and rip it off u or u off the sled.
Just something to think about

As stated at any avi course,and if you think about it,ALWAYS wear it under all of your clothes and as close to the skin as possible.An avi can easily peel it off,even under a single layer jacket.I know i'd kinda' like to have it on when buried!It's not a jewlery accessory,it doesn't make you look cool,it ain't BLING.I want you to have it so you can find me.No different if you don't show up with a shovel,i'll gladly lend you mine!

Top Bottom