Loosing RPMs 800etec

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So took my sled out for a ride yesterday and today, elevation is 2400ft, clickers set to 2, pulling 7900rpm just fine, but if I hold it to the bar and once I start getting to some fast speeds across a field it will go from 7900rpm to 7100rpm and kind of bog and die down, I'm not hitting the rev limiter. It has never done this before, just got the sled back from its first service and i put on a TSS tunnel dump can. Is it maybe an issue with the can? Anyone else encounter this?

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 2 issues .. the can was causing a mid throttle bog, running the suitecase again and happy

the thing you are describing was happening to me as well, and I think it was due to my fuel pump. It eventually died on me and I got a new one under warranty but it took a long time to figure out what it was.. there's no code for low fuel pressure .. but these fuel pumps sometimes get tired and eventually die

my sled had about 1500 km on it when that happened.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would bring the stock silencer and make back to back runs with both to determine if this is the problem. Since that is the only change, I would look there first. Assuming there was plenty of snow for cooling and it wasn't just getting hot? How many bars did it hit on the temp gauge?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only about 1000k on mine, I guess I'll toss my old MBRP can on tomorrow and see if that changes anything. Plenty of snow for cooling, pushing bumper deep all day, only hit 2-3 bars on the temp.

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
My 13 XM has been doing this since last April. Dealer wants to put it back to stock clutching so they can eliminate a clutch problem. I also think it is a fuel pump problem. Very frustrating.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Primary spring is what some guys are finding fixes this. Clutch kit as well. I just installed a roosterbuilt kit. before the kit, mine was doing exactly as your describe. I'll be going for a ride in a couple days and report back if it changed.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys try adding weight and running in position 3 or 4 on clicker .
It's shifting out and not back shifting is my guess. Or spring problems.

Last edited:

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Put in heavier primary spring, then tried a little more pin weight, no improvement at all. Just about ready to take a match to it.

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So took my sled out for a ride yesterday and today, elevation is 2400ft, clickers set to 2, pulling 7900rpm just fine, but if I hold it to the bar and once I start getting to some fast speeds across a field it will go from 7900rpm to 7100rpm and kind of bog and die down, I'm not hitting the rev limiter. It has never done this before, just got the sled back from its first service and i put on a TSS tunnel dump can. Is it maybe an issue with the can? Anyone else encounter this?
It's going into overdrive. Those things are geared so low that extended periods of wot across the flat will cause the clutches to top out and go into overdrive. When you get it into the hills it will be fine.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled does this as well and I have a clutch kit, and my clutches are meticulously maintained, and I am running a can.
At WFO It pulls like a mofo bang on my clicked rpm till 60-65mph than the rpm starts to fade away. If I wanted a trail sled I'd by one, I hear of this complaint all the time on the newer etecs even with stock clutched sleds. My sled works awesome at altitude and at 2000ft, the rpm fade on the trail at high speed does not bother me at all.
Try the old reverse angle helix and gearing that the 09-2011's were running I don't ever recall a complaint like that with that helix and gearing.

Sent from my iPad using

pepperhouse

Reaction score
Add my 13' to the list.
Runs fine in the hills 3-6000ft
But around home 2100ft has a bad bog.
Ran my can all last year no probs.
Added 3" 156 and 7t drivers over summer.

From the posts possible culprits:
-fuel pump
-going into overdrive (clutching)
-it's just how it is
-it's the can
or O2 sensors

Where to start...

Biegel

Reaction score
My 2014 is giving me big grief as well with dropping on its face and loosing rpms. They can't find the problem so I took a video of it doing and still they said if they can't find they aren't going to change anything. How did they eventually figure out the fuel pump???

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mine does the same thing at 2200'. But it runs perfect in the mountains. I am going to throw my Rooster kit on here in a couple weeks and see if it changes. One thing I have noticed is the RPM will eventually come back. This I think is when it goes into overdrive. But really I didn't buy a 163 to set land speed records. I will put alot of miles on it around home here. But that is alot of rubber to spin at 70+mph for any length of time.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 154 would fade RPMs at home (1800' ASL). Pin it and it would hit 7900, then fade down to say 7400 over about 6 seconds. Then I put in a Rooster Built clutch kit ;>

TurboTundraCole

Reaction score
Had another 13 do the same thing changed out the throttle sensor and that one is good to go. So dont have a clue two sleds doing the same thing with two different fixes

Top Bottom