Looking to purchase a new side x side

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the market for a side x side.. Haven't owned one before so don't have much experience to go off..

Top of my list are the Canam Maverick and the Rzr 900

What i'm looking for is the best bang for my buck.. I don't have a brand loyalty and am purely looking for the best all around machine.. Any owners able to offer pros/cons?

Primary use would be for recreation with the buddies and i'm sure on occasion i could convince my wife or daughter to join.. Fast to run w/ the boys but controlled and smooth w/ the fam on board.. Preferences?

Feedback is appreciated..

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well..honestly.. i think you will get as many answers as carter has liver pills! lol....tooooo many..

If those two are the machines you are looking at i would break them down into catagorees.... power plant, frame geometry/handling and suspension and then the looks/cosmetic features and add-ons offered... listen what people have to say here and then listen to the dealers and then make a choice..

this is really a hard one between those two machines... and since im not a side by side person i will stay out of this one... take all opinions and go from there

and honestly they all break down, they all have lemons and one who says dont buy this brand cause of repairs,,the next will say crazy.. never had an issue.. so
i think they are both good built machines.. i would look at what your buying with your money....

for me power and suspension/handling are the key
good luck...

mick

Reaction score
Best bang for your buck? Not either one of the two you listed. Where are you planning on riding? If you are headed to the dunes or desert you are on the right track, for trail in Alberta .....keep looking

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well hang on boys.. you ridin in the calgary area.. Maclean, Ghost, indian graves or dutch?
many many trails you wont get down with that width... maybe different in Northern altberta with more open trails but down here and your limited although
that said.... there is still trails where it can go... about 60/40 type of deal...

stumprzr

Reaction score
im new to riding i recently just purchased a rzr 800 had it out last weekend at waipourus with all quads and had no problem on the trails they were riding it was a beast id personally stick with the 50" not the 60"

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left it pretty general so knew i may open a can.. Great feedback that i can use.

1) Price - i did consider that aspect - $20K for an off-road vehicle - for $30K i could buy a decked out Jeep...haha
2) HP should't be the deciding factor
3) Determine primary riding areas - track width will be a major factor if running tighter trails
4) Technology, suspension, frame, 4X4 - when dealing in the newest fanciest machines they all seem highly comparable.. Tough call..

Maverick being the latest and greatest is a pro for me - can also see that as a con if there are issues as a new model.. I am pro power steering and it's not available on the Maverick..

RZR is a tried, tested and true machine that has plenty of aftermarket parts available and it is a couple grand cheaper..

Made a phone call to my dealer today and they sell Polaris and Canam off-road so i'm going to head to the shop week after next and demo the RZR 800, 800s, 900, Commander and a Maverick..

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want reliability buy Yamaha rhino. Not the fastest of bunch but by far superior 4x4 system and most reliable.

m1000db

Reaction score
Not sure where you would ever use the power that you get from a 900rzr.. I have an 800s, and my Father in law bought a 570. Never did I see on our trips where he wasn't right with the crew. Usually enough obstacles and pot holes that you rarely get to open it up any way.. I have the S model and other than being a bit awkward if you have to pic a new trail through the bush, have no issue with the 60" The only problem I have had with mine is a break line that I tore off with a root. Absolutely love my RZR..

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The suspension on the 900 works best at high speeds, faster you go smoother the ride. Width hasn't been an issue yet in most of the central to northern alberta areas.

ChrisG

Reaction score
I vote rzr 800 standard. I had one for 2 summers and it was great. I am still kicking myself for selling it. I now ride at the back of the group on my honda. The new maverick looks wicked and seems to have everything the 900 rzr but based on my experience with the group i ride with and where we ride, i would definetley go with the rzr 800 50". You can get around nearly everywhere the quads go with the 900 or the maverick but you will definetley be doing 50 pt turns in the tight stuff whereas the rzr 50" will fit nicely through. If you have the coin to drop on a new machine, go with a walker evans le edition rzr and do a few mods like 3" lift, rhino axles, clutch kit and 28" tires. Great setup for mud and no wider than 54"

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
900 vs 800 are two totally different things.

if you drive both you will not be happy with the 800, especially if your comparing to a maverick.

the 900 flat out rips.

I love my rzr and cant believe the abuse the suspension takes. you can drive across a huge whoop section at 100+KM an hour.

as for trails, i have never got hung up, most of the areas are tracked out by rzrs, and the s model that is 60 inches has been around for a couple years, so really 64 isnt much bigger

i am very fond of the maverick, but the visco lock 4x4 is not very good in my opinion, and magazines say it still isnt as fast as the rzr xp

just my two cents and im a bit biased because i own the rzr.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i mentioned we had a Rzr 800 and now the 900 xp

Our friends have a 800. We traded last week to compare. Totally different machines and handling.
And 1 or 2 km's I wanted the 900 back. Found the 800 rough...

As for power I always can use more.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The suspension on the 900 works best at high speeds, faster you go smoother the ride. Width hasn't been an issue yet in most of the central to northern alberta areas.

correct.. mater of fact is that any high end supension or performance suspension always works better the faster you go.. thats just how its been always..

Top Bottom