Looking to buy first sled and want a yamaha 4 stoke

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting my first sled. Not much sled experience but i have rode atv's and dirt bikes all my life. I definetly want a yamaha 4 stroke. I test rode a 2007 phazer this weekend. Fun to ride but not powerful enough when the snow got deep. Thinking of a 2003-04 rx1. Any thoughts?? I know they are heavy. My budget is no more than $4000 so my choices may be limited. I hace found a couple 2003 rx1 sleds for around $3500 with 4000 kms and a 151 track. Looking for opions, thanks . i will only be riding trails and meadows. no hill climbing. riding with guys with older sleds as well.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For your price range I would definatly ride a Yamaha rather than spend my time fixing something else. Your impression of the Phazer is the same as mine, lots of fun but underpowered. The rx-1 is rock solid and fast, but heavy. The Apex is a much better sled if you can find one. The Nytro is better still, much lighter with nearly as much power, and more torque. They handle better too. I would look for an mtx whichever model you choose so that mountain riding is still an option. If you do look at an rx-1 long track, look closely at whether it is a mountain sled or a short track which was stretched. Some were modified better than others, and the ride may suffer on a bad conversion. On any sled with a 2" or more lug, keep an eye on the sliders, they tend to burn up quickly on trails.
Good luck, they are all lots of fun as long as they run.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do i tell if the slides are burnt out?? sorry i dont know much about it.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sliders are the plastic piece that covers the bottom of the aluminum rail at the bottom of the skid. The track slides along them (hence the name). The sliders keep the aluminim from wearing away. The tall lugs keep snow from lubricating them and they wear quicker. This does not happen (much) in deep snow or on trail sleds. Look at the sliders and compare them to new ones for wear, usually around 3/16 of material. This is normal, just something to be aware of.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks but i have already bought one about a month ago and have since sold it. Great machine but WOW you guys were not kidding when you said its was Heavy!!!!!

Top Bottom