Looking for some steel

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking for recommendations on the best priced place in Edmonton area to get some steel, I need to reinforce the water tank in the frame of my RV.

Looking for 1" Angle Iron...... 16 feet total. and Looking for 1/2" square tube, probably about 36 feet total,

This will all get bolted in underneath the trailer, not welded, just in case I ever have to drop the water tank.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Is it hanging down on your axle? My Springdale did that from first time I got it. After one trip the tires were worn. Dealer didn’t help at all and it was denied on warranty, ended up suing the manufacturer and dealer got all my money back.

Otherwise metal supermarkets is your best place for small orders of steel or metals.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go to parkland welding. It will be priced decent but the convenience is priceless.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just go to parkland welding. It will be priced decent but the convenience is priceless.

that's who did the welding on my truck for my sled deck mounts, didn't realize they sold to the general public :)

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Is it hanging down on your axle? My Springdale did that from first time I got it. After one trip the tires were worn. Dealer didn’t help at all and it was denied on warranty, ended up suing the manufacturer and dealer got all my money back.

Otherwise metal supermarkets is your best place for small orders of steel or metals.

yup it was...... no warranty left, it fell out last July, I fixed it but its still not quite right and definitely not supported enough for my liking, so I'm going to over engineer it, so it never falls out again.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking for recommendations on the best priced place in Edmonton area to get some steel, I need to reinforce the water tank in the frame of my RV.

Looking for 1" Angle Iron...... 16 feet total. and Looking for 1/2" square tube, probably about 36 feet total,

This will all get bolted in underneath the trailer, not welded, just in case I ever have to drop the water tank.

Had that break out as well on one of my voltages.. they build rvs so lightly it was a joke, the straps they used were not even welded on, put on with self taping screws that were so long they punctured the water tank..

Wrecks a guys holiday when you see your under skirting dragging on the rd.. fairly new trailer and they would not cover it under warranty..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'll take a look at our yard today, we may have what your looking for lying around.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Had that break out as well on one of my voltages.. they build rvs so lightly it was a joke, the straps they used were not even welded on, put on with self taping screws that were so long they punctured the water tank..

Wrecks a guys holiday when you see your under skirting dragging on the rd.. fairly new trailer and they would not cover it under warranty..

trailer is a 2016.... there are 2 pieces of angle iron that hold the tank by the sides..... these were put into the frame using self tapping screws..... some of these screws broke, the angle iron spun, tank fell....... replace self tapping screws with grade 8 bolts and nuts in August last year..... cannot get the stupid aluminum straps tight enough and I no longer trust them...... take trailer on some rough roads (Alberta highways) and don't want to have this happen again.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what we had.. the tank was sitting on angle iron.. and when fill it saged down pulled threw.. the long taping screws went threw tank on a few spots.. wonder what these guys are smoking

We put a few straps across it he middle to help hold the weight.. ours is a 160 gallon tank and like you say rought Rds are anywhere you camp

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Updated Materials List.

15 ' 1/2 square tube. (5 x 3' pieces)
12' 1" angle Iron (2 x 6' pieces)

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's who did the welding on my truck for my sled deck mounts, didn't realize they sold to the general public :)

Yep. Haven’t been there for a while but Old beans for teeth will cut you the big chunks a to take home or chop it all up for you.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. Haven’t been there for a while but Old beans for teeth will cut you the big chunks a to take home or chop it all up for you.

I'll give them a shout after my 1:30 - 2:30 conference call with my team @ work.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I go to metal super markets,and if you want they will cut lengths you want, just a thought but you can get fuel tank strapping(strap kit for semi) that might be easier to work with for what your doing.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I go to metal super markets,and if you want they will cut lengths you want, just a thought but you can get fuel tank strapping(strap kit for semi) that might be easier to work with for what your doing.

not messing around anymore Brian....... Heartland RV's has pissed me off, I've got this all drawn out, and now quoted by Metal Supermarkets with appropriate lengths.

Need to get it all installed, put the new fill line on and then close the belly back up

Top Bottom