Looking at bikes.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the title states, I'm looking to get back into biking. Used to ride a 01 kx80 back in the day, til I outgrew it and never replaced it after it sold.
I was looking on kijiji last night and saw lots of good deals. But I'm not sure what bike would suit my style of riding, since I'll be doing a little of everything. Possibly even taking it to the track. Was thinking a 250 2stroke.

Any thoughts?

sent from my android

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2 strokes sure are fun, cheap and easy to maintain for the most part, light and snappy.I've had a couple of 2 strokes and a couple of 4 strokes and they both have their pros/cons. Basically just comes down to the majority of the kind of riding you will be doing, and your budget, and preference. I grew tired of mixing gas with the 2 strokes, especially when doing a lot of back country riding, they burned fuel faster and I was always having problems fouling plugs, jetting constantly needing adjusting, always having to adjust fuel/oil ratio, etc etc.. the two strokes always seem to do best when the throttle is wide open, like on a track, I dunno maybe it was just me but after my last 2 stroke left me stranded in the middle of the bush several times I had enough LOL. The 4 stroke requires a bit more maintenance, therefor can be a little pricier, but I have not had any reliability issues with it in the bush, lasts forever on a tank of gas, doesn't care what gear or how hard you ride it in all day long, can blast the throttle wide open or putts and it still runs, I've only had to touch the jetting once.. I dunno for me, it was just a more convenient switch for the type of riding I do. I take it to the track on occasion, but I do 90% of my riding in the back country and its done far better than my 2 stroke. My boyfriend also switched to a 4 stroke from a 250 2 stroke for the exact same reasons..was always having similar issues as I was.

Either way 250 two strokes are dirt cheap, you could buy one and see how you like it and if you dont think its suitable, go get a 250 four stroke. Good luck!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 03 KX250 this year. 2 Stroke. I was kinda in the same boat, hadnt had a bike for years.

I like the light wieght, and the ease of kicking it over. I also love the power, its the most fun I've had in a while. Not as much fun to run roads on, as you max out pretty quick, but is tons of fun on the single track stuff around here. Not sure how it would compare to a four stroke, but for the stuff I seem to get into, it is a blast.

It sure has me re-hooked.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm leaning towards a 2stroke. Ease of maintenance light and powerful. Wont be in the bush much as my backyard is the drumheller Badlands so that's where I'll be doing all my riding.

sent from my android

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 03 KX250 this year. 2 Stroke. I was kinda in the same boat, hadnt had a bike for years.

I like the light wieght, and the ease of kicking it over. I also love the power, its the most fun I've had in a while. Not as much fun to run roads on, as you max out pretty quick, but is tons of fun on the single track stuff around here. Not sure how it would compare to a four stroke, but for the stuff I seem to get into, it is a blast.

It sure has me re-hooked.

How you like the kawi? I would sure like to have one of them again.

sent from my android

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far, the kawi has been awesome. I managed to find one with lower hours, that had been taken care of. So far, it's been real reliable and tons of fun. Just gotta stay on top of maintenence. Which is pretty dang easy with this thing.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little more info on yourself would help people suggest a new bike for you as well.

If you are 6'4 and 240 pounds, well I might recommend a different bike than say you are 5'4 and 140 lbs. If you know what I mean.

Just South of you there is a private track that a guy runs on his property. He is apparently selling his KTM 150SX. I recently saw one of these bikes in action and I was pretty impressed. If you are just looking at getting back into riding, its likely a more budjet friendly bike to consider.

I run a KX250F and have had some issues with my 4-thumper recently. Aside from that, with the fourstroke its almost cheating. You can role into the throttle in any gear and the bike just has lots of torque. I was considering switching out to a 2-stroke (the 150sx) as I am a fairly light guy at 140-150 lbs but I just like my 250F so much! I would even consider a big bore for the 250 or a 350XCF (although brand new)

You should look at what you are going to ride most though. If trail riding would be the majority of your riding, look for something that is meant more for trail riding. The transmission will a wider ratio, it will usually have larger rads to keep it cool when riding slow or lugging it around, it may also have an 18" rear which will give you more rubber between the rim and ground to help with rough riding.

If you are going to ride a lot of MX tracks, then look for an MX bike. They are lighter, meant for operating in the high RPM range, geared more for track use.

There are pros/cons between 2 and 4'strokes. Weigh your options, look at your price range and go from there.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little more info on yourself would help people suggest a new bike for you as well.

If you are 6'4 and 240 pounds, well I might recommend a different bike than say you are 5'4 and 140 lbs. If you know what I mean.

Just South of you there is a private track that a guy runs on his property. He is apparently selling his KTM 150SX. I recently saw one of these bikes in action and I was pretty impressed. If you are just looking at getting back into riding, its likely a more budjet friendly bike to consider.

I run a KX250F and have had some issues with my 4-thumper recently. Aside from that, with the fourstroke its almost cheating. You can role into the throttle in any gear and the bike just has lots of torque. I was considering switching out to a 2-stroke (the 150sx) as I am a fairly light guy at 140-150 lbs but I just like my 250F so much! I would even consider a big bore for the 250 or a 350XCF (although brand new)

You should look at what you are going to ride most though. If trail riding would be the majority of your riding, look for something that is meant more for trail riding. The transmission will a wider ratio, it will usually have larger rads to keep it cool when riding slow or lugging it around, it may also have an 18" rear which will give you more rubber between the rim and ground to help with rough riding.

If you are going to ride a lot of MX tracks, then look for an MX bike. They are lighter, meant for operating in the high RPM range, geared more for track use.

There are pros/cons between 2 and 4'strokes. Weigh your options, look at your price range and go from there.

Ah yes. 5'10" 200 lbs. I'll probably go with a mx version as the only trails I would ride is tight technical stuff. No plans on taking it out west.
Found a 2003 kx250 for $2000 with new top end, back tire, sprocket and chain.

sent from my android

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely more maintenance than a 2 stroke, but not as bad as some would have you believe. @ 200 lbs, a 4t 250 wont be enough for long. Keep in mind that an mx 450 wont be a whole lot heavier than the kx 250

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the power band that a 2 stroke has. So much fun to hit.

sent from my android

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No forest's around here. And looking at getting a 250 2 stroke. seems to be my best bet.

And not always WOT. I may be dumb, but I aint stupid. :D

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No forest's around here. And looking at getting a 250 2 stroke. seems to be my best bet.

And not always WOT. I may be dumb, but I aint stupid. :D
Atta boy! way to stick to your guns on the 250 2-stroke. GREAT bikes! I bought a my 2008 ktm 200 xc-w 2-stroke, slightly used, still had origional tire in mint shape. The guy before me changed the needle and the jetting, He seemed to get it right dead on because it runs like a dream! never changed the jetting, never changed fuel mixture, just mix fuel and go. A 2-stroke doesn't have as much down low as a four stroke but up high in the powerband they will smoke a 4-stroke!! I can shift up a gear and lug my 200 on those slippery wet days, or stay in lower gears and ride the chit outta it!! it doesn't seem to care either way it still pulls great. I can leave it in secound or third and puts around and as soon as I come to a hill or something I just pour on the gas withought shifting down and it revs right up to top RPMS! Nothings better than the powerband of a 2-stroke. Make sure you run good premium gas in it, always warm it up good. Depending on how much you ride you may have to replace top ends every year or so, just to keep it snappy and fresh. They reccomend that you replace top ends on four-strokes way more than two-strokes and you also have to do valve resets on four-strokes. A 250 two-stroke is comparable to a 450 four-stroke, and a 125 two-stroke is comparable to a 250 four-stroke.

Top Bottom