Looking at a new diesel 4x4 who has the most relieable

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strip the emisions garbage off the truck, get a programmer (ppe or smarty) and you will get around 5 mpg more out of it and a lot more reliability. For how much it costs to do to a cummins it is well worth it. turns that 6.7 into a solid performer.

on another note how brutal is it that you can't even put a set of stock size m/t's on a chev without ripping off the mud flaps. and a set of 285's are out of the question. but this is my 2 cents on diesel trucks. Cummins motor with a 6 speed standard in my opinion is the most reliable unit out there. cheap to maintain and repair. other than the powertrain the rest of the truck i dont care to much for, i'm told i will enjoy the 2012 cab much better so i'm looking forward to that.

Ya chevies sit low thats forsure! but you can get a nice 275/55/20 in there without rubbing on a stock height chev levelling kit 285's no problem. I have my 2010 lowered in the front and i still got 285/55/20's i did the chevy mod and pounded back the metal bracket that gave me another inch in clearance I have a tiny bit of rub issues but only when i crank the wheel hard so not bad for a lowered chevy. yup the new trucks that emmissions stuff is crap! once pulled off these trucks are way better

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya that cummins motor and the inline 6 is a pretty snazzy motor. I quite like them and really like the ease of working on them it is quite nice to remove a turbo with just a few bolts rather than having to take part of the motor apart lol. If I could have the ultimate truck for me it would be ford 08-10 body style,cummins motor,allison tranny in it. it's all gonna be a personnal touch like i stated previous go take a test drive between the big 3 and decide wich one you like the best! everyone on here is gonna have a different opinion the only one that matters when it comes to this issue is wich one you like the best and works best for you!

Little

Reaction score
one can get over 850 lb of torque from a '11 dodge and still have it last 1/2 million km. Ain't gonna happen with the others. The egr and restricted pipes have to go, h+s tuner to keep the ecm happy and you're set. Our's is set up like this, 24+mpg empty, -15 with 30' trailer, 5 in trailer, 2 on the deck. V8 gas, 6 diesel, just the way it is.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new lml dmax is a built up motor as well with connecting rods set to handle over 800 hp. cummins definately has a strong strong motor that is a proven fact! but the the others are stepping it up pretty good wich is about time! i know the new lml and 6.7 ford can handle more than 850 torque cause stock there rated at 800 torgue and the motor and tranny has been beefed up since the 2010 model wich would hold a fair before popping rods and pistons. dmaxes usually need a rebuilt motor at over 700 rwhp and well over 1000 torque. dodge and ford all handle over 700 rwhp and 800 rwtq as well! I know for a fact the dmax will run these numbers cause my lmm is 510 rwhp and 987 rwtq on stock trans and turbo and have yet to have any issue with it! with the dmax the piston will fail before the connecting rods because of the injection pulse on a stock 13% dmax injector! I know the dmaxes can last a long time as my 05 I sold to a guy has over 400,000 km's on it and was chipped since day 1 still running strong I replaced injectores at 150,000 km's and the guy changed them again at just over 300,000 so not bad! I'm sure the new lmm and lml will be the same.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo depends what you like ford by far has nicest interior most room in back for kids chevys are brutal .... duramax funnest truck to drive for power and have a wicked tranny ...fords are not far behind .... i dont know much about the new dodge except that unless you go with a mega cab the back seat has no more room than a ford extended cab ... they all break down they all suck on fuel buut most of them are sure fun to drive !!

muddmadness

Reaction score
ya that cummins motor and the inline 6 is a pretty snazzy motor. I quite like them and really like the ease of working on them it is quite nice to remove a turbo with just a few bolts rather than having to take part of the motor apart lol. If I could have the ultimate truck for me it would be ford 08-10 body style,cummins motor,allison tranny in it. it's all gonna be a personnal touch like i stated previous go take a test drive between the big 3 and decide wich one you like the best! everyone on here is gonna have a different opinion the only one that matters when it comes to this issue is wich one you like the best and works best for you!

There is a reason why there is a company called "DeStroked". You will see many cummins swaps into fords, maybe the odd chev but i've yet to see a decummins or a powerstroke swap into much of anything other than another ford. DeStroked has produced many of your dream trucks. I think they still have one for sale with a 6.7 egr deleted.

Tippmannr

Reaction score
I run a 2011 Duramax. Great truck, gobs of power. No problems. I get about 22 MPG on the highway, and about 20 in town. About 17 while pulling my 6000 pound enclosed. I had a 2009 Ford F350 and IMO it wasn't nearly as nice. The ride threw my back out for two weeks, had to go in a few times for warranty, and it didn't pull as good, not to mention it got like 12 MPG.

My 2 cents.
Tyler.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a reason why there is a company called "DeStroked". You will see many cummins swaps into fords, maybe the odd chev but i've yet to see a decummins or a powerstroke swap into much of anything other than another ford. DeStroked has produced many of your dream trucks. I think they still have one for sale with a 6.7 egr deleted.
very aware of destroked i know a guy with a 06 pstroke that has a 5.9 into he calls it a FUMMINS. great company that is forsure and i have thought of finding a writen off reg cab long box to put a cummins/allison race package together in! I got a buddy who is doing a novamax project as we speak all fiberglass body w/lb7 dmax motor w/some nice fixins he figures about 650 rwhp that car is gonna move lol! I would love to build that reg cab long box truck as building my 2010 dmax is getting pretty costly lol

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch the Dodge commercial.

that doesnt explain anything. commercials are to sell more trucks, of course all automakers are going to say theirs are the best.

im still waiting for a valid answer

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the guys/kids who spend 80+k on their diesels and drive as far as the grocery store and back home ever!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many reasons a I6 in better just one is less moving parts generally means more reliable (as Cummins has proved). And a better one in the picture.

Attachments

• conrod.jpg
    conrod.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom