Long Lake area

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have a lot at Skeleton at Deer Run Estates, is there a staging area over by Long lake or do you just pick a cut line ?

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have a lot at Skeleton at Deer Run Estates, is there a staging area over by Long lake or do you just pick a cut line ?

Most guys stage at Happy's gas station, and then ride North about 2 miles to the power line and head east to the lake.

Or from Skeleton Lake you can ride down through Amsik and head south on the trail and end up on the North side of long lake

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks. We often ride from narrow lake out to my lot. Takes about an hour and a half with the kids,ditch banging along 663 and 63, always a nice ride though.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well folks did some more ice testing and found a lot of top water under the snow, this will make for some hard sledding this season, the guys with power and a paddle track will not have a problem, but if you have the kids and the wife out there they will not like the feel of the sled dropping into the slush. The lake at my end has 8plus inches if ice and 3inches of slush under the fresh snow so if your out there this weekend be prepared for it. The temp this weekend is cooold so this will help the freeze down.
Use a big dose of caution when the lake is like this.
If your out for a ride at LL on Sunday stop in and I will show you where I was crossing safely.(Blk 14 Lot 5)
Tied up on saturday
Be Safe
Don.

PS When I was out on the Rhino 2 weeks ago we drove by Amisk Lake and it was open. DON'T GO THERE YET!!!!!
PS #2 The county is working on the LLake ski hill so it should be ready for the Christmas break

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few more from a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 60

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Mudboy, isn't that the Long Lake Hilton.Just kidding that cabin has been out there as long as I can remember.:theCabin:

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been out in the area for almost 20 years and that was the first time I have ever scene it. That's what I love about the area. you can always find something new

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys you can see I really do ice testing. Good shot Mark
The cabin was there in 1982 it's approx 300 meters west of the north tip of long lake just tucked in the bush, always a fun stop along the trail.
This is one of about 5 such cabins in the LLake area.
See you on the trail
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Lake update, was speaking with a buddy of mine last night and he was doing some testing, I would say the whole lake has top water, he was checking out in front of blk 2 and 5 and there was 5 inches of slush under the fresh snow, even after this deep freeze. He came across a spot infront of blk 5 where there was a pocket that was only a few inches of ice an the water was coming out of the hole like it was being pump from under the ice, so the weight of the snow is forcing the water up and over the hole and is laying in wait , BE CAUTIOUS on the lake.
Merry Christmas to all
Be safe
Don

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of heading to skeleton lake this weekend with Weld. Is anyone else interested or is there enough snow up there?

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problems just checking with the locals and finding out wat the snow is like.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is about 6-8 inches of snow around long lake. You can still see the stubble in the fields.

There are guys ditch banging down the highway if that is your thing.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Was doing some work up in the Lawrence Lake (North of Athabasca) area today, the ditches look good but back in the bush it was pretty thin. I took a little ride last week at Long Lake, it was very noisy, that was my ski skegs hammering the rocks, but it's suppose to be warm this weekend so it will be hard not to go for a ride.
Please be EXTRA Cautious on the lakes in the area
I was doing some muskeg depth drilling for our logging roads and where the snow was undisturbed it was frozen down only 3-5 inches.

See You on the trails
Merry Christmas
Don

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Went for a little ride today, the snow towards the north of LL is pretty thin, the pipe line is poor but usable if you pull into the tall grass to wet the sliders.
Cricket lake area is thin but workable, you might take the quad if you have one.

The lake has a lot of top water so stay close to shore. Do not go on the north end of the lake where you enter the creek it's open.

Saw three trucks on the ice today at the narrows, the guys are fishing.

I have groomed a trail from the beach at blk 14 to the east side of the lake where the old gravel pit was, this will get you to the east side safely.

The southeast end of the riding area is not too bad (grazing reserve area) but there is a lot of trees down on the trails so bring a saw .

Have a Merry and Safe Christmas
Don

sled

Reaction score
thanks roadtech thinking of heading up there over christmas break to my cabin.If I go will post on here so that we all could meet up.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be at my parents place at skeleton lake between christmas and newyears so hopefully there is enough snow for a couple of speed laps around the lake. Hey rodetech, is Matt gonna be around at that time?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road around long this weekend , pretty sketchy on snow , pipeline still very rough , need another dump badly

Top Bottom