Lights, dash gauges, tail light and intermittent reverse 2008 Dragon

Dewey

Reaction score
I have a 2008 RMK 700 Dragon and last year I installed a Polaris Tether for the races. Now when I start the sled it will start okay at times. But there are times when idling the gauges flicker and do not read out. The lights flicker and sometimes will not go into reverse. If I rev it up some the lights operate okay and gauges setttle down until it idles again. Could it be the tether switch? Seems to have started a while after installing it?

dragontamer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 800 dragon did the same thing and it turned out to be the voltage regulator.

Live To Ride Ride To Live

Dewey

Reaction score
I have a multimeter but have not done a lot with it. I can figure it out of someone can walk me through it.

How much is a regulator? Seems to be pointing that way from what I have read.

Where exactly is it located?

Thanks

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A new regulator is $164.99. It is located underneath the spare belt mount. it is a pretty flat, square shaped item that is silver and has fins on the top.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bud in, but I have a new V/R I'd sell as my Dragon burned down and still up in the air on what to do with it, anyways,Picked up the spare V/R last year as I'd heard of them failing if they got to warm etc, didn't want to be stuck somewhere over a simple part that could be replaced like some stories I'd heard of.
Mine had similar issues with the dimming dash etc, had the tps adjusted and fixed that issue.

Dewey

Reaction score
Sorry to bud in, but I have a new V/R I'd sell as my Dragon burned down and still up in the air on what to do with it, anyways,Picked up the spare V/R last year as I'd heard of them failing if they got to warm etc, didn't want to be stuck somewhere over a simple part that could be replaced like some stories I'd heard of.
Mine had similar issues with the dimming dash etc, had the tps adjusted and fixed that issue.

How much you asking and where you located? Any advice on how to adjust the TPS? Not sure what TPS is? That stand for Throttle positioning Sensor?

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much you asking and where you located? Any advice on how to adjust the TPS? Not sure what TPS is? That stand for Throttle positioning Sensor?

TPS=throttle position sensor. It's my understanding that it senses how much throttle is being used, then sends different amounts of voltage to the computer, the computer then adds certain amounts of fuel,air,oil in accordance to the position of the throttle. Strongly recommend getting it adjusted on the dragon, got mine done and it was a night and day difference, idled a lot better and way better throttle response. Take it to your local Polaris dealer to get it set.

09d8155

Reaction score
hi my sled is doing the same thing lights dimming wont idle wont reverse, but ive replaced the VR, nothing changed, i was told to try the spark plug caps, nothing again i found a bared wire, repaired it nothing still, coroded connectors, repaired them nothing again, i love the sled its amazing when it was running but it wont run right now like when im wot it will be good and randomly start bogging/missing then pick back up last ride i went on i could pull the cord it would idle but the minute i would pull away it would almost die with throttle pinned if anyone could help me out that would be great

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check you exhaust valves make sure the bellows and springs are good,if that checks out then get your TPS adjustment checked.It needs to be in spec to idle proper then lights,reverse will work properly.

09d8155

Reaction score
ok thanks will do let u know the results is there any way i can check out the tps without taking it to the dealer its a 2 week wait to get looked at at my dealer right now

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you know some one with a homemade adjuster or a Power commander 5 you need Digital Wrench to check.

09d8155

Reaction score
took the airbox out took the throttle bodies off and checked the reeds the throttle bodies throttle plates and reeds were all "coked" up so cleaned it put it all back together ran perfectly soo far waiting to take it for a ride this upcoming weekend see how it goes praying for the best

Top Bottom