Last Night at Martin Equipment

willhickey

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw out a big thank-you to Zacs Tracs and Martin Equipment for putting on a avy class last night. Very intro stuff but I learned alot. I have to admit, I was one of those guys that always wanted to take avys courses however just never got around to it. I thought that four years ago and still never got it done. Now it is a priority. Thanks guys for your efforts. Best $50 i spent in the last year.:d:beer:

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to throw out a big thank-you to Zacs Tracs and Martin Equipment for putting on a avy class last night. Very intro stuff but I learned alot. I have to admit, I was one of those guys that always wanted to take avys courses however just never got around to it. I thought that four years ago and still never got it done. Now it is a priority. Thanks guys for your efforts. Best $50 i spent in the last year.:d:beer:

UMMMM! How do you have an avy class not in the mountains with out some real hands on training? Such as digging a pit and learning to understand the different layering in the snow and how those layers came to be. Also doing beacon practice in four-ten ft of snow is hell of lot different then out in a flat field. It is also very tough to practice and learn about route finding in a class. My suggestion to all this winter before you go and highmark your 800 or turboed up yammy is spend the time and the money on real avy course in the mountains to get a better understanding of what is going on. I am sure there was some very valuable info in the class but it is important to get some real hands on field training. my 2 cents stay safe out there this winter!!!:d

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last nights class wasnt a full on avy class, I believe it was a beacon seminar. The full class isn't until the 27th - 28th.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Well that's a start! Take the full fledged AST1 course next! A full day in the classroom and another day on the hill. $300+ but well worth it and a must if you ride in the mountains.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zacstracs does classroom portions of the AST1 course in many different locations to make it easier for people to take the course. After you do the classroom portion in your local area, you still have to do the field portion in the mountains to complete the course. Maybe it would be better if everyone could go do the course in the mountains, I don't know since I have not yet taken the course (signed up for the course in fort mac). But I think it is still better to have everyone take some sort of course weather it be in a flat field or the mountains for beacon training, than no training at all.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UMMMM! How do you have an avy class not in the mountains with out some real hands on training? Such as digging a pit and learning to understand the different layering in the snow and how those layers came to be. Also doing beacon practice in four-ten ft of snow is hell of lot different then out in a flat field. It is also very tough to practice and learn about route finding in a class. My suggestion to all this winter before you go and highmark your 800 or turboed up yammy is spend the time and the money on real avy course in the mountains to get a better understanding of what is going on. I am sure there was some very valuable info in the class but it is important to get some real hands on field training. my 2 cents stay safe out there this winter!!!:d

It wasn't an avy class, she didn't talk about snow pack, load testing, etc she just taught people how to use there beacon in both shallow and deep burial senarios. At the end of course she promoted her ast class 1 trainging and lots of people signed up for it. The good thing about this class is it's short, inexpensive and gets people to think about getting some real training. All good things!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It wasn't an avy class, she didn't talk about snow pack, load testing, etc she just taught people how to use there beacon in both shallow and deep burial senarios. At the end of course she promoted her ast class 1 trainging and lots of people signed up for it. The good thing about this class is it's short, inexpensive and gets people to think about getting some real training. All good things!

Thats correct, and there is as Shoppingcart111 said an avy course in the area coming up Oct 27 & 28.

More information is located here:

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f243/october-27-28-acheson-stony-plain-18781.html

as well as here:

Top Bottom