Kill Switches

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've had two incidences where my sled went ghost riding with out me.
Is there an easy way to install a kill switch/tether to my sleds.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've had two incidences where my sled went ghost riding with out me.
Is there an easy way to install a kill switch/tether to my sleds.
Sure is. call your polaris dealer (I am presuming you have polaris), and order a tether package. Plug in and ride. All sleds should have a tether as standard equipment IMHO - see a few people injured cause they got caught in a track with the sled wide open...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Canadian tire has tethers. Or if you want look up teth-air on here, they have electronic tethers with no cord!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
teth-air no good when you are stuck under your track at WOT.

I'm sure as ch!t glad I started wearing my tether when I tried to park it sidehill this one time and she rolled on me and the track was coming down on my head at wot, quick tug on my tether and I get to keep my skin. the teth-air would gladly have skinned me

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tether isn't going to do much if it is ghost riding down a hill. You will kill the engine but she is still going for a ride. I though all sleds had tethers as standard equipment. My REV sure does and it has saved me a few times from getting stuck under it at full throttle.

JonJean

Reaction score
I can't believe polaris doesn't put a tether stock on all their sleds...so retarded, they place the kill switch in the worst place possible too and you can't move it cause its part of the throttle. I got my self a tether for $15 Sorry can't remember the brand but its the same they use for jet skis i think and i took the kill switch completely off, i had taken it apart and put something under it so i couldn't push it down anymore but i ended up ripping the little red button off with my thy, didn't feel too good. once that happened i just took it all off cause its useless.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
teth-air no good when you are stuck under your track at WOT.

I'm sure as ch!t glad I started wearing my tether when I tried to park it sidehill this one time and she rolled on me and the track was coming down on my head at wot, quick tug on my tether and I get to keep my skin. the teth-air would gladly have skinned me

Yah I never thought about it that way!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where do they tie into? Kill switch?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought mine at Canadian Tire ($22) tied it into the kill switch wires and drilled a hole. About 1.5 beers worth of time.

Cubby

Reaction score
My 07 Yamaha Phazer did not come with a tether switch. Yamaha uses something called a TORS (Throttle Override System) to determine if the throttle is stuck open. That's great and all but doesn't kill the machine if you fall off! I installed a tether in-line with the factory kill switch. Came in handy when the machine flipped and threw me off. Yamaha's and older Cats use an Normally Closed switch (circuit is normally completed - when you pull the tether it opens the ciruit shutting off power) whereas everyone else (I believe) uses a Normally Open switch. Make sure you get the right one for your sled.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get the right one for your sled.

I would not have thought they could be different. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
(hope the link works). its on page 109 if it doesnt.

Found one at Royal Distributing. Looks like you just plug it right into the existing wiring(In line). Cant get much easier than that.

Now I'll go and unplug the kill switch while it's running to see if its a NO or NC swtich.

Thanks a bunch for all your help.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just called my local Polaris dealer to check as well. As soon as I mentioned snowmobile he didn't even want to talk to me. He said call back in a few months.... unreal...

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet if you told them you wanted to buy a sled that would get their attn. Stupid people!

I just called my local Polaris dealer to check as well. As soon as I mentioned snowmobile he didn't even want to talk to me. He said call back in a few months.... unreal...

Dirt2oil

Reaction score
I found the Polaris tether to be junk. Iv had issues where aggressive riding had moved the cord enough to kill the sled momentarily. I replaced it with a pro-armor tether and havent looked back, they seem to be high quality and work flawlessly, IMO

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a dumb question.... where do you hook the teather to? Your zipper on your jacket?

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highfly, check this post out. It should contain all the info you need........parts numbers, pictures etc.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f450/tether-56991.html

I ran the Polaris one all last season and did not have an issue. I did read elsewhere that some people had installed the supplied washers on the wrong side which caused the tether cap to pop off very easily.....................

Last edited:
Top Bottom