Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
June 21, 2022 by Adam Malik
June 21, 2022 by Adam Malik

Canadians less interested in EVs than Americans​

EV-electric-ICE-gas-car-Depositphotos_26904737_L-1024x682.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
Canadian consumers lag their American counterparts when it comes to considering an electric vehicle the next time they’re shopping for a new car.

J.D. Power Canada’s inaugural Electric Vehicle Consideration (EVC) Study found that less than half (47 per cent) of Canadians said say they’re either “very likely” or “somewhat likely” to consider an EV for their next vehicle purchase.

In the United States, three in five (59 per cent) responded the same way.

That means vehicle manufacturers and government officials have more work to do when it comes to boosting EV interest among Canadian consumers.

“There are several unique systemic challenges in Canada upon which manufacturers and policymakers need to collaborate to effectively navigate the transition,” said J.D. Ney, director, automotive practice lead at J.D. Power Canada. “The good news is that EV consideration increases dramatically across a number of metrics once consumers are either better informed on the capabilities of the newest EVs or, better yet, have personal experience with them.”

The report highlighted four key findings.

First, cost is a factor. For 61 per cent of those who said they’re unlikely to consider an EV, they cited price of the vehicles — 44 per cent of Americans said the same. There is a federal incentive program in Canada, but only two provinces — B.C. and Quebec — offer one at the provincial level.

The second is range anxiety. Two-thirds (65 per cent) of those unlikely to consider an EV said limited driving distance is a problem. Again, 44 per cent of Americans said the same. “Canada’s colder climate also likely plays into this reticence, with 44 per cent citing range performance in extreme temperatures as a barrier to consideration,” J.D. Power said in an announcement.

The third is around familiarity. Those who are likely to consider an EV, 42 per cent of them have driven one while 22 per cent have been a passenger. Of those who have never been in an EV, just 15 per cent would consider buying one. About half (49 per cent) of those who own an EV will consider another EV for their next vehicle purchase.

Finally, geographic location plays a role. B.C. has the highest consideration rate of EVs at 59 per cent, likely tied to the fact that gas prices in Canada are the highest in that province. Residents of Quebec (50 per cent) and Ontario (47 per cent) have some interest in EV ownership, while Prairie (38 per cent) and Atlantic Canada residents (35 per cent) showed the least interest in the study.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You definitely cannot drive an EV in the cold (below 10 degrees). If you want to leave city limits, it's gonna be a suicide mission.
Well I doubt it is that bad but this is a big cold country, Bigger and colder than the USA for sure.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
USA has more inhabitable land though. A lot of Canada is only accessible with a float plane or maybe a canoe.

EV or a gas job aint going to cut it if you really want to see Canada 🤣

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
My son and his wife have a deposit on a Plug In Hybrid. Albertans can’t have a vehicle at -25 on only battery for extend periods.
He can drive to work daily for nearly a
week without a charge and no gas, but in the winter, they would need to charge maybe twice a week. They can plug in at work so it’s free.
My son is a financial analyst so he’s done his homework. Over 3yrs the SUV will payback huge based on fuel prices a few months ago. That being said they will plan to replace the SUV after 5yrs max due to battery failure.
So California has announced that there will be Brown Outs all summer because they have pushed electric vehicles with rebates so well that the electrical infrastructure won’t keep up
Charge Cars…Or Air Conditioning this summer.
Well that sucks….I love my Air-Con.
Glad I’m in Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son and his wife have a deposit on a Plug In Hybrid. Albertans can’t have a vehicle at -25 on only battery for extend periods.
He can drive to work daily for nearly a
week without a charge and no gas, but in the winter, they would need to charge maybe twice a week. They can plug in at work so it’s free.
My son is a financial analyst so he’s done his homework. Over 3yrs the SUV will payback huge based on fuel prices a few months ago. That being said they will plan to replace the SUV after 5yrs max due to battery failure.
So California has announced that there will be Brown Outs all summer because they have pushed electric vehicles with rebates so well that the electrical infrastructure won’t keep up
Charge Cars…Or Air Conditioning this summer.
Well that sucks….I love my Air-Con.
Glad I’m in Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plug in hybrid is a gateway drug to full electric.

Top Bottom