Jumbo Pass Gets Provincial Approval

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if any of you guys know about the jumbo....but it has to be the nicest piece of untouched ground ive ever seen in my life. glaciers, fragile alpine meadows, and a huge grizzley bear habitat.
they just approved an 4 season ski resort up there. the locals around here and invermere have been fighting this for over 20 years. the link is to a video that talks about some of the negatives that are associated with this resort...take 5 mins and give it a look.....
any thing you can do to say NO to the jumbo resort would be awesome, write your MP, MLA, mayor, hell even fill the RCMPs inbox up with letters. we dont need another resort 20 kms from panarama which i belive is already struggling, dont quote me on that though.....have a good day

Alas Resort on Vimeo

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm outraged with this as well! and yes like you say it is one of the most beautiful spots on earth! I have hiked that area numerous times and it never gets old. I'm still in shock that the resort went through it really is a shame. Panorama is indeed a struggling hill and with jumbo 20 minutes away will make panorama in my opinion shut down just like fortress and nakiska situation! If you wanna ski jumbo then skin into it and ski it naturally not build a resort in such a pristine area! Just another one for the government to pad there pockets with.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you wanna ski jumbo then skin into it and ski it naturally not build a resort in such a pristine area!

That's just it, Jumbo has always been open, it just means you had to work for it. Take a look at Farnham glacier after the 'own the podium' push. There's tons of shite up there, tape, ribbons etc. As if people around here need more to do during the summer?! The again, it's going in for the tourists.

Luckily, it will bring some fantastic jobs, like serving lattes to euro tourists. Real sustainable.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya if they ever do start building it, i can tell you one thing.....it aint gonna go smooth. there will be protesters causing headaches, mark my words, bridges will be burned.....cat tracks will be blown off.....trees spiked.....not from me personally, but i know a lot of people that have been fighting so hard against the resort that theres no doubt in my mind they would be willing to spend a few years behind bars to stop the construction.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pristine???? Untouched????

They're building the resort on an old sawmill site and there's at least one old mine I know of! Doesn't fit my personal definition of pristine! Just sayin.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fight's been on for over 20 years around here...had more people got involved sooner there may have been more hope of stopping it.
It's unfortunate to loose such rugged, natural land and even more unfortunate when peeps get involved too late. The support would have been very welcomed over the past 20 years by those fighting to Keep Jumbo Wild for what seems like forever.

As far as the economic impact that's supposed to make this resort so great...if the trade off is loss of wilderness and wildlife forever, we can do without it IMO. The people who want to make more money in this valley should move somewhere that can offer that stability and should not make decisions for their short-term financial gain but rather the long term effects developments like this have in such natural territory and the effects it has on the planet well past our lifetimes.

This valley has survived quite well without it until now, and it could continue to do so, unfortunately that's not going to be the case. :(

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
posted my thoughts on this in the kootneys thread but i will post em again....

You know i am all for sledding and what not, and heck i haven ridden up there back in the day when you could.... but really this is prestine land up jumbo. The resort will just wreck what is existing. As well what is this going to do to panorama. Why would i want to ski pano, when i could drive another 20min for glacier skiing.... it is up the same valley and the same road. these people are not sledder friendly, you should see the amount of signs up here, they are littered everywhere. EVERY road/loggin branch road is marked with signs that they do not want you up here or anything motorized for that fact. from jumbo/glacier dome you have acces to commander icefield (littered with cravas), lake of the hanging glacier, and access to the starbird glacier. So when i go hiking up to lake of the hanging glacier, now i have to look at ski lifts? Hell the jumbo side doesnt even carry snow throughout the summer. I just understand the logic, the glacier has recieded way back and the jumbo bowl is full of avy terrain. Myself, even though it brings economy for the valley i would not be a support by any means just based on the enviornmental impact.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya if they ever do start building it, i can tell you one thing.....it aint gonna go smooth. there will be protesters causing headaches, mark my words, bridges will be burned.....cat tracks will be blown off.....trees spiked.....not from me personally, but i know a lot of people that have been fighting so hard against the resort that theres no doubt in my mind they would be willing to spend a few years behind bars to stop the construction.

As far as protesting goes I say everyone has their right and should voice their opinion. What peeves me is when they start vandalizing and booby trapping things that put other people's lives at risk. They're just people doing a job and trying to earn a living to raise their families and such. Its not fair for these people to get injured or worse.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if any of you guys know about the jumbo....but it has to be the nicest piece of untouched ground ive ever seen in my life. glaciers, fragile alpine meadows, and a huge grizzley bear habitat.
they just approved an 4 season ski resort up there. the locals around here and invermere have been fighting this for over 20 years. the link is to a video that talks about some of the negatives that are associated with this resort...take 5 mins and give it a look.....
any thing you can do to say NO to the jumbo resort would be awesome, write your MP, MLA, mayor, hell even fill the RCMPs inbox up with letters. we dont need another resort 20 kms from panarama which i belive is already struggling, dont quote me on that though.....have a good day

Alas Resort on Vimeo

This recent news has really pissed me off! I don't understand the logic here....but then again, does anything the government does EVER make any sense??? The government continues to take away areas for backcountry sledding using dwindling Caribou numbers as an excuse....but will allow ANOTHER fricken ski resort taking pristine grizzly habitat away?? WTF?? This is just another example of corporate greed....and there is nothing we can do about it. With the stroke of a pen the deal was made, just like that. :mad:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never been there but I hate the way goverment rams things down against local wishes wether it be IPP, Fish Farms or this. I see Cristy has a FB page now so post you comments there. You casn't actual start a new thread so just add to anything she started. Just another way to employ 500 more auzzies.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still do not see the resort ever happening(at least in the large scale they are promoting). Waay to costly, a road close to 40km will need to be built paved and maintained(road contractor can't even keep the road to Pano cleared)? power generation cost???? water and waste water treatment cost??? all this even before a lift or a building can be erected. Lots of hurdles yet.

Pano barely keeps the lights on these days (I worked there for 7yrs and have seen many financial reports) with all the infrastructure, how is JGR going to make it profitable??? Pano needs close to 200,000 skier visits to make a good profit, closest they have been was about 187,000 when things were booming.

Help the economy??? $10 an hr jobs really get things pumping.... Can't see many locals working up there, mainly because there are not many working at Pano and all staff will need to live onsite because the commute would be an hr or more each way on the best days. The construction and road building jobs would probably be union contractors from the coast.

I do see a small very high end resort like a heli operation being built though.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The government continues to take away areas for backcountry sledding using dwindling Caribou numbers as an excuse....but will allow ANOTHER fricken ski resort taking pristine grizzly habitat away?? WTF?? This is just another example of corporate greed....and there is nothing we can do about it. With the stroke of a pen the deal was made, just like that. :mad:

Amen to that! Apparently habitat is OK to sacrifice if it means you get a govt contract or expensive tourism, but real backountry users like sledders have to be shut out because they are endangering the wildlife. Anyone know if Mr. Weigle is going to comment?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mr weasel ohh i mean wiegle..... has tenure up around that area already no or pretty sure anyway? there are heli pads and refueling stations all along the road.

heard through the rumor mill that the owner/client for the jumbo resort is the same people who did sun peaks. If i am not mistaken, sunpeaks is sledder friendly no?

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is no way that area will ever be sledder friendly around jumbo. there are a few different heli companies in the area right now

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mr weasel ohh i mean wiegle..... has tenure up around that area already no or pretty sure anyway? there are heli pads and refueling stations all along the road.

heard through the rumor mill that the owner/client for the jumbo resort is the same people who did sun peaks. If i am not mistaken, sunpeaks is sledder friendly no?
RK heli ski flys there. Oberti Ombarti??? designed Kicking Horse resort.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figures the gov gives the go ahead for this project which will have a huge effect on wildlife in the area and not to mention restricting public access and why? MONEY. If sledding brought in the taxes that these resorts do there would be no caribou issues at all, ride where you want. Makes me just a little pissed to hear this. :(

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nakiska Fortress all over again. Panorama is barely hangin on WTF makes them think they need another hill there. BC minister of Enviro should be tared and feathered for this one.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone should write aan letter to one of these tree huggers bevind the caribou closures surly the grizlies are worth saving as well

Top Bottom