Is This Getting To Be A Rich Man's Sport??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
IS OUR SPORT BECOMING A WHITE COLLAR SPORT??? :confused: :confused:
WHEN YOU ADD-UP THE PRICE OF THE SLED(S), TRAILER, DECK, TRUCK/SUV/CAR, GEAR, ACCESSORIES ETC. YOU ARE PROBABLY LIKE ME AND CLOSE TO, IF NOT OVER $100,000.00 TOTAL??:eek:
TRUCK $30,000(USED '04 F350 DIESEL)
TRAILER $3,500(USED '02 OPEN 4 PLACE)
DECK $1,500(USED ALUMINUM DECK)
SLED $12,900(NEW '06)
SLED $4,500(USED '99)
SLED $3,800(USED '98)
GEAR(FAMILY) $4,000(HELMETS, SUITS, ETC)
ACCESSORIES $4,000+(PIPES, CANS, GUAGES, SKIIS, ETC)
I AM FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE FOUND SOME GOOD USED VEHICLES AND TRAILERS AND OLDER SLEDS:rolleyes: , BUT THOSE OF YOU WITH $50 - $60,000.00 NEW TRUCKS AND NEW ENCLOSED TRAILERS, WILL BE WELL UP OVER $100,000.00.;)
I STILL FIND A WAY TO DOO IT, SO WHAT ABOUT ALL YOU???:confused: IS THIS BECOMING A WHITE COLLAR SPORT??:confused:

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, it's freakin expensive. Most expensive hobby I have, by about 20x. And it's pretty easy for something to go wrong that cost $2500 to fix. And don't forget fuel, food and accomodations; an on-going cost. $150 a day for two of us just to go and ride somewhere within 2 hours. $600+ for a weekend somewhere. On average I probably spend $500 a month, so that's at least $2000-$2500 a year on that.

And there are other things like always having to have good tires on the truck, better lights etc. And then, where do you park all this stuff? We live in town and it's tuff shoehorning everything away each time. We really need an acridge, so now we are looking at additional costs just so we have more space. I know lots of people that use storage, so there are monthly costs for that too.

What really makes me feel small are the guys that can afford to go the montains every weekend or everyother, and they are running new sleds every other year too.

The other cost is time. Keeping the sled up and traveling keeps you busy.

Good thing I like it so much....:)

But I wouldn't say "white collar", most white collar people in alberta don't pull in the kind of coin the average blue collar or trades person does now days. The average white collar friend that I have couldn't afford this.:confused:

(all this and then people complain about the cost of the trail pass...., opps did I say that out loud?)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I am definately finding it pricey, I bought my Explorer Sport Trac last year that was $19,000 plus my trailer, I cheaped out there and bought the snow bear from canadian tire, plus a sled, well I have a moderate budget for that. Plus gas, insurance, registration, asa pass, and accomodations should I choose to go out of town. I've only been out of college for 2 years so technically the government still owns me cause of student loans. So I do find it difficult, but hopefully one day, I'll be working for myself make the preverbial "fat cash"

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
"Expensive" "Motorsport". Yep they go together. Having played with 4 wheeled noisy things, 2 wheeled noisy things, things with tracks (noisy and otherwise) etc most of my adult life "expensive" is relative. Car racing is expensive. Motorcycle racing is cheap (relatively). Sleds are somewhere in between. One person, riding locally, not a big deal but a family riding in the hills? Gets pricey in a hurry. Once the necessities are covered then where to put the disposable becomes a CHOICE. We choose to play outdoors because it's enjoyable. "Expensive"? I'm lucky, I make a reasonable salary, retired twice and didn't like it, don't like holidays in warm tourist traps. Therefore I get to play in the hills when I want to, travel all summer to the MX races if I want to. Between the sleds, trailers, trucks, motorhome, quads, bikes, gear whatever, there's about $150K parked at the acreage. Can I afford it? Obviously. Would I miss it if it was gone. Very much. "Expensive"? Nah, golf is expensive because I don't like it.

GRD

Reaction score
I agree that it is expensive. I am fairly new starting out in my career and I make room for spending on sleding. My wife would rather me not sled and save the money for basement development or other investments, but understands it is what I like. If I didn't like so much, I think if would be considered more expensive. I am lucky my father lives on a acerage where I store my sled, quads and holiday trailer. I have a F-150, but travel with my father in his diesel. I have a double garage at my house in the city, but no room for toys. You do what you gotta do.... Some people golf, some people go out for lots of expensive dinners, we sled.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
I agree that it is expensive. I am fairly new starting out in my career and I make room for spending on sleding. My wife would rather me not sled and save the money for basement development or other investments, but understands it is what I like. If I didn't like so much, I think if would be considered more expensive. I am lucky my father lives on a acerage where I store my sled, quads and holiday trailer. I have a F-150, but travel with my father in his diesel. I have a double garage at my house in the city, but no room for toys. You do what you gotta do.... Some people golf, some people go out for lots of expensive dinners, we sled.

Well thought out, well said. Lets ride.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Expensive

Very Expensive...
Two sleds, two place trailer, deck, diesel 3/4 ton, 2 sets of Avy Gear, coats, pants helmet....and the list goes on....
I have a small house so I rely on a group of good buddys to store trailers, sleds etc.
Yep, I love it and wouldn't want to give it up.
That being said, that little piece of property I bought at the lake a few years ago and decided to build a cabin on....now that's expensive.....but I had to give up something to get the sledding thing.

:D :D :D

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Justifying the Hobby

I told the wife that I would give up playing hockey this year, in order to make a few trips to the mountains each year. It seemed to work, and I have held up my end on retiring from hockey. I have been out to revy once and CNP twice, and hoping to make one or two (or 3-4) more trips with a few different riding crews. After having to make a few "minor" repairs to the sled, my wife now wants to start questioning some of my friends to find out exactly how much it is costing them to play hockey. I will have to keep her pre-occupied so that she doesn't really find out!

Although the expense, I was just saying to her today that there is no other feeling than finding that perfect pull in the right amount of snow, on a sunny day at -3C. Many men spend much more than what we do to seek, and sometimes not find, the ultimate experience. Even the crappy, overcast, cold, windy, brokedown days serve to grant us appreciation for those "PERFECT" days.

My :twocents: .

Tekim:Cla:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup its pricey but to save any arguements,do what I did.Buy her a sled and all the gear and say,were going sleddin!Took a couple years but she really enjoys it.I go on about half the trips in a winter with her and half with the boys.I get the best of both worlds and no arguements! All it cost me was about 10.000 for all of her gear,about 6000 less than mine not including Truck ,trailer,sled deck,fuel,lodging,ect. ect.! All that said...aint nothing better to do with your clothes on!Wouldnt trade it for nothing!
I think I'll go start my sled!
catmando!:twocents:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did the same thing, althoug my wife doesn't enjoy it that much, she enjoys the time away from me while I'm gone.
If nothing else you got a spare sled,Those little breaks keep the marriage at its best,at least thats what I tell my wife LOL!
catmando!:p

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yea its alot of money... but in my case I lucked out I am a full time guide in the winter so all repair bills fuel and oil are taken care of! Kept my old sled for the girl as it paid for itself the season before. I would not have a new rev this year if I wasn't working off it. But on the high note I get paid to ride my office is the mountains of BC and I love starting my work day with the smell of a 2 stroke

Shifty

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sounds pretty sweet shifty,where do I apply! LOL!
catmando!:thumbsup2:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Awesome Job

WOW, SHIFTY423 THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE ULTIMATE JOB;) .... I GOTTA CHANGE PROFESSIONS. HEY KITTYKATMAN: I SEE YOU MADE 200 POSTS, CONGRATS, AS YOU'VE JOINED THE V.I.P. CLUB!!!!!!:bdog: :devildancing: :beerchug: :bluesbros: :awesome_dude:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Shifty423, that's a sweet set up. Good for you finding a way to combine fun with work....we could all be so lucky!
Oh hell yea its alot of money... but in my case I lucked out I am a full time guide in the winter so all repair bills fuel and oil are taken care of! Kept my old sled for the girl as it paid for itself the season before. I would not have a new rev this year if I wasn't working off it. But on the high note I get paid to ride my office is the mountains of BC and I love starting my work day with the smell of a 2 stroke

Shifty

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bill my sled out a work too. We can't get to alot of our remote wells after a big snowfall so our sleds became a required "tool". :cool:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Anorther One

Yep, you guys have the right idea....wish I could find a way to do that, my world woudn't allow it.

Good for you Shredder.
:D :D :D

I bill my sled out a work too. We can't get to alot of our remote wells after a big snowfall so our sleds became a required "tool". :cool:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
hmmm, wonder if I can find a way to bill my sled out to my company..... I think I'd have to go do a house call in Inuvik before I'd be allowed to do that.

Top Bottom