Is the problem gearing or clutching (D08)?

PlayKing

Reaction score
I was is Mcbride on the weekend (jan 10, 11) deeeeep snow. My sled is low on rpm, 7800 climbing in the deep stuff sometimes less, hit the hard pack sometimes fallls as low as 7300. I ve read on other forums that guys are running as high as 8300. Rode buddies new doo, he's turning 8300 and works well. His is stock with can and has been geared same as a doo with a 163 track (his is 152) . Mine has 250 miles bone stock sled. I think gearing may be the problem. Has anyone delt with this and what worked?:confused:
Otherwise love the sled handles like a dream.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i was rising a bone stock d8 with a can and i was pulling 84000 and they havent touched a thing on it, maybe its your sled?

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to myself, my sled is always around 8200rpm, last ride out I was only hitting 7400 - 7800 rpm. Have you adjusted your secondary clutch ? As your belt wears, it drops lower into the clutch. If you can spin your belt in your clutches by hand ( w/ little effort ), its to loose. You want to back off the nut and set screw with a 7/16" wrench, then take a 1/8" allen wrench ( while hold the nut ) turn the set screw out ( counter clockwise ) half - full turn, then tighten the nut back up. This will allow your secondary to squeeze more of the belt. You want to be around 8200 - 8250 rpm. Hope this helps.

PlayKing

Reaction score
Yeah I tried a brand new belt and adjusted the secondary shive at various tenstiones. the best seemed to work when belt was just loose enough that it would not sqeeal at a idle. Thanks anyway. Been hearing a lot about secondary helixes and springs. Going to try that, maybe a slp pipe. Also been hearing a lot of different stories about the dragons, some work out of the box some don't, weird.

crts_lmbrt6

Reaction score
check your cluth wieghts i remember when i bought mine they asked me if i wanted the ons for the mountains or the ons for the flatts

throttle-up

Reaction score
Website
www.leekseeker.com
I was is Mcbride on the weekend (jan 10, 11) deeeeep snow. My sled is low on rpm, 7800 climbing in the deep stuff sometimes less, hit the hard pack sometimes fallls as low as 7300. I ve read on other forums that guys are running as high as 8300. Rode buddies new doo, he's turning 8300 and works well. His is stock with can and has been geared same as a doo with a 163 track (his is 152) . Mine has 250 miles bone stock sled. I think gearing may be the problem. Has anyone delt with this and what worked?:confused:
Otherwise love the sled handles like a dream.

I got the exact same problem! My sled is going in next week to get the 09 update on it an we'll see then.

dragin8

Reaction score
it looks like this is happening right before the top end blows..it looks like it`s a comon thing..09 upgrade or not..

Brad62

Reaction score
Same problem with 08 700 can't seem to get the rev's. I had it at the dealer and we ran the digital wrench and got nothing. Changed weights and springs, nothing. Did find one problem the hand warmers were shorting out that solved some of the trouble but still can't get any power out of it. I'm going to try the lower gearing that everyone is recomending and then tune the clutches from there. Just seems strange it ran so good last year and the chit's this year.

This sounds like a common problem it's on all the forums. Somebody out there must have figured this out.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull you ex vave and look at piston. is there scuffing? could be a loss of compression causing loss of power! 10-62 are the weights in the 09 and we are changing them to 10-64 10-66 for stock 09 800 dragons. (if you are over reving) I have been told to look for scuffing in last years 800. start there!

PlayKing

Reaction score
I ve done a lot of research and the best solution so far is change your springs! Everybody who sounds like they know something say change your secondary spring and primary spring regaurdless of the amount of miles rode. They claim they loose their tension just from sitting under compresion in the off season. Also ordered a helix from Carls Cycle down south. They were more helpful than other dealer, really sounded like they knew exsactly what to do. Going to try new springs first, if it is better then add the helix, and go from there. Carls Cycle also said that helix and springs will work with a single SLP pipe down the road. Heres hoping!!!!!!!!

Brad62

Reaction score
When I was working on mine I changed the driven spring to a new one I thought that would fix it as the old one was bagged out. About 30 lbs shy at full comp. The drive spring tested ok so i left it in. But now reading some stuff I wonder if a heavier spring might help. What are the specs on the springs you are getting?

Brad62

Reaction score
From what I understand a primary spring with a heavier finish rate will raise your rpm. If the initial rate was raised that should raise your engagement. I want to raise my final RPM's so I am going to try a spring with the same initial rate and a higher final rate. Does this seem right????

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heavier springs will just raise the engagment.

When you say "Heavier Springs", there are 2 numbers for springs. There is an initial force (how much force it takes to start compressing the spring) and a finishing force (how much force it takes to completely compress the spring). For example:

My 2008 Ski-doo came stock with a 160-320 Primary spring. 160 being the initial force (engagement rpm will be affected if this value is changed), and 320 being the finishing force (top rpm will be affected if this value is changed). I changed mine to a 160-290 spring. This allowed the primary to close in on the belt within 1/2" of the outer edge of the primary (used a permanent marker to check this). With the 160-320 spring, I was not clutching out all of the way, and the belt was slipping, causing a lot of heat in the clutches, and I was also hitting the rev limiter. The 160-290 spring, combined with heavier weights in the primary and a 20 tooth (stock is 21) top gear in the chaincase, I have way cooler, predictable, clutching.

Hope this explains the spring issue.

Last edited:

Dragon mod

Reaction score
I had the same problem before my 08 800 dragon 163 blew up for the 4th time with all the updates, it would run hard with the stock spring and helix but had 62 gram weights with on size lower gears in it until just before it would blow up. If your sled keeps loosing the jugs and pistons have your dealer look at the fuel pressure. That is what they finally figured out with mine, the fuel pressure was 10 to 15 lbs too low and once they put the new pump in it, it runs flawless.

Top Bottom