Introduction/I messed up trying to remove my clutch....

JAD

Reaction score
First of all... im Jordan... and new to the forum ;)

On a less happy note... today i was trying to remove the primary clutch on my 96 indy 500.

I removed the main bolt and poured oil down the hole, put teflon tape around the clutch bolt and tightened it in.... when the clutch bolt broke off :(

Any suggestions on how to get the clutch off now? I tried a rubber mallet. Would have tried heating it but couldnt find a torch and decided that was a sign to stop for now If heating it is the way to go... where exactly do I want to be heating? Or is there a better way to go about this...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the hydraulic method works on a polaris, someone may correct me if I am mistaken? how far did the bolt thread in before breaking?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that won't work the clutch bolt goes into the crank and holds in on a clutch puller has threads that go on the inside of the clutch shaft and pulls it off the crank you will have to drill a hole into the broken bolt and use a easy out to remove it then get a puller they are only 25-30 dollars

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a clutch puller last week for a specific application with a Polaris clutch as well and received this response. It really does work!!

just go and get a fine thread bolt about 3 inches long 3/4 or 7/8 i think, tape the threads. lay sled on side fill hole with water thread bolt in and it will pop right off with a little torqe.

JAD

Reaction score
that won't work the clutch bolt goes into the crank and holds in on a clutch puller has threads that go on the inside of the clutch shaft and pulls it off the crank you will have to drill a hole into the broken bolt and use a easy out to remove it then get a puller they are only 25-30 dollars

This is my plan...but how do I get the clutch off now to do so. The clutch didn't come off when I broke the bolt, and the broken bolt is now 6 or 8 inches inside the hole

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the tip I posted, then you will have to keep the crank from turning well getting a pair of vise grips on the broken puller and thread it out

• Thanks
Reactions: JAD

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say buy the right puller for the sled, cut it off several inches. It will now bottom out on the broken bolt & remove the clutch.
Then you will have to mess with getting the broken bolt out.

JAD

Reaction score
I tried the fluid hydraulic method about 200 times with oil, didnt work. Then I tried once with water, and voila off it came. I still dont really understand the difference cause ive heard of people using oil before but something to keep in the back of my mind I guess.

Broken piece of the bolt came out like butter with a screw extractor.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Top Bottom