Installed greaseless weights

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never took any pictures or did a "how to" but if you have any questions me, or someone else can chime in.

I noticed something on my stock cam plate that I can pretty much guarantee not a lot will notice. At the very lip of the cam plate, there is an edge left from the stamping process,.. You can see where the red circle is where the problem lies on the 8 roller locations. I am not 100% sure that this would scrap or drag on the OD weight,.. but I didn't want to take the chance.

You can feel it with your finger nail, so I ground mine smoothing the lip.

2007 660
HW tri-fire cdi
Twin air foam filter
2" exhaust snorkel
27" Maxxis Zilla's
2" exhaust tip
Ground header welds
2" suspension lift
Orange Epi secondary spring
STOCK 18gr roller weights

My air/fuel ratio is also at 12.4 to 1 at full bore according to my wideband.

Did a test run and before and after and here are my findings,..

Before:

75kph FULL out and engine screaming, noticeable shift point at around 60kph or so.

After:

16gr OD weights;

Little better low to mid range speed. Noticeable shift gone, BUT if feels like the engine goes into an OD and sounds like the rpm drops,.. but still accelerates. Speed topped out at 83khp, but takes awhile to get there because of my orange EPI spring. Engine noise level greatly reduced.

I have two machines the other one is bone stock but with HW tri-fire cdi and 27" MudBugs,.. Racing head to head, the stock machine will pull a little on the modified one off the line because it has a lighter secondary spring. But then after about 30ft they are even,.. then once getting to around 50kph my modified machine blows past the other one at quite a considerable amount of speed.

Attachments

• cam lip.JPG
    cam lip.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 37

jayson

Reaction score
Finished installing mine today on the 700 rhino. I like the results. Before my rhino would only hit 63-64 km/hr. Got it up to 80km/hr. I think it would go faster if I had a longer run. This is with heavy 26" itp 589 tires. But I also put the msd ecu at the same time. I will have to pull the ecu and see if it will still do 80. The weights were pretty easy to install. I guess now that I know how easy it is to take apart the primary I will have to maintain it now. I didn't notice that lip on my cam plate, but didn't look at it that carefully. I will have to pull it apart after awhile and take a look. 1200 km the belt still looked new so I didn't change it. It felt like the msd gave it more power off the line and mid range. Hoping to get some newer and lighter tires that should help too.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had offers on my weights already,.. I am tempted to sell them and go to some 14gr ones.

It won't do 80 with the stock ECU, you will be bouncing off the limiter at about 64kph

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K, just an updater,. but this pertains to air/fuel,..

I modified my 2" intake snorkel and remove the two bends, so it looks like the cvt's. I went cruising down the road and couldn't even get up to 80 barely and my air/fuel ration was pushing into the HIGH 14's, low 15's,.. which means I was starting to run lean which is not good at full speed. So I had to put it back the way I had it, and am going to have to jet up for the extra air

So for you folks, who are jetting and have as snorkel best be sure of your air/fuel or you could be melting down a piston.

I didn't realize that only taking out about 6" of piping would make that much of a difference. Glad I have an air/fuel monitor to point this out.

Before picture,.. don't have an after

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the extra air you are having a problem with, it might be the loss of the vacuum signal to the carb. The engine only needs about 60 CFM at WFO.
I've got to get one of those widebands.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the extra air you are having a problem with, it might be the loss of the vacuum signal to the carb. The engine only needs about 60 CFM at WFO.
...so I can borrow it....

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well full out doing 84kph my wide band says 12.7

When I pull the pipe, my wide band say 14.9

It's not vacuum, it's called leaning it out

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I don't understand what you're talking about but I'll try anyway.
When you pull the pipe you have less restriction and you go lean, correct?
What I'm saying is that it COULD be a loss of vacuum signal to the carb circuit making it go lean. Many times when you put a less restrictive intake on something with a CV carb it will go lean. Not because the enormous 660 cc engine is suddenly transformed into a air sucking monster, but rather you frigged with the vacuum signal the carb was jetted/designed for. You can add a less restrictive intake and have to jet up a couple sizes, but make the same or less power on the dyno at the same AFR.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I don't understand what you're talking about but I'll try anyway.
When you pull the pipe you have less restriction and you go lean, correct?
What I'm saying is that it COULD be a loss of vacuum signal to the carb circuit making it go lean. Many times when you put a less restrictive intake on something with a CV carb it will go lean. Not because the enormous 660 cc engine is suddenly transformed into a air sucking monster, but rather you frigged with the vacuum signal the carb was jetted/designed for. You can add a less restrictive intake and have to jet up a couple sizes, but make the same or less power on the dyno at the same AFR.

When I pull my whole pipe machine will not run go passed idle, is it vacuum now?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm yeah, it could be. If you have no vacuum in the system how is the CV (slide) carb going to open up against the spring that's holding it closed? Why do you often need to put in lighter slide springs at high altitude with CV carbs?
Make your jet changes and with your newly found power you should pulling 100K right? More fuel to compensate for the increased airflow means the engine is making more power right?
You think Yamaha made that intake elbow as small as it is by accident? Or to limit the how much power the 660 has so the Rhino didn't go to fast?
You are obviously a much better mechanic than me, I bow out. Good luck.

Top Bottom