importing vehicles into canada

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
i know we already had a thread about that but it was mainly for import from the us

i just got of the phone with some lady from the riv office and now im a bit upset

pretty much what she told me is

-no modifications (no bumpers, lowering suspension, seats, doors, glass, exhaust)
-if older than 15 years no problem to import
-if modified longer than 15 years ago also no problem

and i asked her than if put them back to stock if i could than bring my 2 cars over and she sayed no since they had been modified before

that makes no sense to me at all

what is than please consodered factory specifications ?????

was really looking forward to get my cars over here but for now looks like i wont even be able to ?!?!

anyone ever imported other than from the us ?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have them back to stock, how are they to know that they have modified? Where are you trying to bring them in from?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What they don't know won't hurt them. Don't lie, but don't tell them anything more then they need to know/ask. They will have no idea if you turned it back to stock. Minor mods are not a concern. The problem is, you could call RIV 10 times talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers on importing. The polices allow a lot of interpretation, and some let a lot slide. The biggest thing is no safety things modified, have paperwork all in line and money to pay them.

I have imported 4 times, and the 3rd I though I was going to be there all day. They even hassled me about the vehicle I was driving, though it had nothing to do with them. Biggest hassle EVER, just because of who I dealt with.

Not from US, do you mean a vehicle not made in US? Those are a lot different to deal with. Some aren't even allowed in until they are 15 years old. My mom has a vehicle in the caribbean waiting for it to hit 15 years to be allowed to import it. A lot more issues for a vehicle that was never made in canada or us.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
germany

one would be a vw caddy (1989)

other one a vw golf vr6 syncro highline (1995)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that will not get through easily being so far from stock. Was that specific model ever made in canada or usa? If not, don't quote me for sure, but I believe it's not allowed in until it's 15 years old.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
both vehicles have been modified quiete a bit the gold i can turn back to stock the caddy not so much i think

the list
golf

cleaned fenders (signal lights)
clear black dot headlights
front and rear bumper
18inch alu rims and low profile tires
stainless steel exhasut front to back
different tailgate and rear lights

caddy
lowered (front hight adjustable , rear leafsprings under dif)
14inch alu rims low profile tires
selfmade exhaust
cleaned tailgate
rallye golf front end (lights grill, bumper)
widened fenderarches to fit wheels and tires
different rear window and painted
modified tailgate

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
both cars are older than 15 years cyle

all parts i got on the caddy are factory vw parts doe that help ?!?

u guys had the caddys here but they looked a bit different than in europe

here canadian us model

[media]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/VWCaddy.jpg/800px-VWCaddy.jpg[/media]

german model
[media]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Vw_caddy_1_a_sst.jpg/800px-Vw_caddy_1_a_sst.jpg[/media]

pretty much only the front grill headlights different and mine looks closer to the us version now anyways doesnt it ??? :)

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both vehicles have been modified quiete a bit the gold i can turn back to stock the caddy not so much i think

the list
golf

cleaned fenders (signal lights)
clear black dot headlights
front and rear bumper
18inch alu rims and low profile tires
stainless steel exhasut front to back
different tailgate and rear lights

caddy
lowered (front hight adjustable , rear leafsprings under dif)
14inch alu rims low profile tires
selfmade exhaust
cleaned tailgate
rallye golf front end (lights grill, bumper)
widened fenderarches to fit wheels and tires
different rear window and painted
modified tailgate

Uhm, yeah, thats not going back to stock anytime soon..:)
Sorry, I got nuthin... :beer:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the business of import/export (not vehicles) but have bought a few things from the US for my personal use. Just brought a 32 ft RV yesterday :d Anyway, regardless of what you disclose to RIV on paper and maybe able to get away with it, the inspection is another story. I highly doubt they would pass this. And if that is the case you will have accumulated a lot of costs already and your hands are tied. When the government says no there is virtually nothing you can do to change their minds. We import and lot of perishable products and grains by the ctr loads. It would not be the first time I had to destroy a container load of mangos or barley at my expenses and it hurts!
FYI, even a country of Peru which is in need of nice farming equipment would not allow anything older than 10 years old and modified despite this would be given for free to the growers as a donation. :confused::confused:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
the suspension i can understand and it could be made back to stock for the import all the other parts i dont understand what they have to do with any safety related issues

the lights are dot approved and are oem vw parts
the bumpers on the caddy are just from a golf next generation
the bumpers on the golf i could take off and install factory again

both cars are absolutely street legal in germany and we got way harder regulations than u guys here
only thing i really see that both would need is daytime running lights but thats an easy fix

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The inspection isn't that bad.....it's just done at canadian tire, if you get to that point there isn't much chance of issues. Getting it across the border is worse. DRL and things like that are must's for inspection.

But I know there is exceptions for vehicles older then 15 years. Ya I kinda fubared the numbers and didn't notice how old they were.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
whats going on with all the guys buying at barry jackson hot rods ? they are far from stock

im kinda pissed about the whole situation

if a guy removes safety equipment than yes i understand but thats not the case with mine

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the suspension i can understand and it could be made back to stock for the import all the other parts i dont understand what they have to do with any safety related issues

the lights are dot approved and are oem vw parts
the bumpers on the caddy are just from a golf next generation
the bumpers on the golf i could take off and install factory again

both cars are absolutely street legal in germany and we got way harder regulations than u guys here
only thing i really see that both would need is daytime running lights but thats an easy fix

you only need daytime running lights installed in the car comes with them in canada... otherwise no you dont... they are both old enough to forgo this regulation

The inspection isn't that bad.....it's just done at canadian tire, if you get to that point there isn't much chance of issues. Getting it across the border is worse. DRL and things like that are must's for inspection.

But I know there is exceptions for vehicles older then 15 years. Ya I kinda fubared the numbers and didn't notice how old they were.

the inspection for an out of province vehicle is atrocious, its even worst then for out of country
brought a 2002 volvo from Montreal a few years ago to make a profit... and they try to screw you where ever they can

besides they are both older than 15 years... you should have no problems bringing them in

Registrar of Imported Vehicles - RIV Exemptions

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats going on with all the guys buying at barry jackson hot rods ? they are far from stock

im kinda pissed about the whole situation

if a guy removes safety equipment than yes i understand but thats not the case with mine

i really think you just misunderstood

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
well she told me yes if the cars are older than 15 years u can bring just about anything in as long as it it within manufacture standarts

when i told her than they are modified she told me no chance getting them into the country

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well she told me yes if the cars are older than 15 years u can bring just about anything in as long as it it within manufacture standarts

when i told her than they are modified she told me no chance getting them into the country

people are importing modified skylines by the dozen
try to get a hold of an importing company... i know there are some in Edmonton and LOTS in Toronto
they might be able to steer you in the right direction, since they do this for a living
and they mange to import NEWER cars all the time

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
thats the reason why i was so surprised since i know a guy who bought a skyline from japan with all the bells and wistles on it all he had to do is wait 2 years before he could register it

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the reason why i was so surprised since i know a guy who bought a skyline from japan with all the bells and wistles on it all he had to do is wait 2 years before he could register it

exactly... lots of times the people you talk to dont know every detail and just spit out the general info that they know

so my advice to you is to get a hold of a car importing company... they should be able to help you out

Top Bottom