How sensitive is the ethanol plug on the 2012?

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 pro rmk, on the trail up to Allen on Saturday it kept tripping the deto sensor and going into limp mode. Switched the plug over and it was all good. Running esso prem. according to website and pump no ethanol, I had some left over fuel in the tank from last year. Fuel gauge was on reserve so it wasn't much but could it have been enough to trip the sensor?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"According to my research, Esso premium does have ethanol in it."

The only fuel I want in my Pro is Shell Gold. I've had no issues with it. All other retail brands have caused me grief.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"According to my research, Esso premium does have ethanol in it."

The only fuel I want in my Pro is Shell Gold. I've had no issues with it. All other retail brands have caused me grief.

Hmmm post up where you found that. Every where I have searched including there website it say there 91 has no ethanol in it.

Thanks Shawn

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ethanol plug in the ethanol position richens it up 5% across the map. Like sweld said, there's no ethanol in Esso 91. I wouldn't rule out bad gas though. Some stations don't sell much premium and it doesn't have a great shelf life, or they could have tank issues and it could have a bunch of water in it.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweld, I did not say it has ethanol, just that I've had running issues with it.. Shell premium works best for me.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sweld, I did not say it has ethanol, just that I've had running issues with it.. Shell premium works best for me.

Agreed, I have nothing bad to say about any other brand of fuel but I have only ran Shell gold in my machines and in 25 years of riding I have never lost an engine due to fuel issues, a couple of pistons with holes in the centre but that was my fault :)

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked at all of the Esso, Shell, and Petro-Canada sites. Shell's V-Power gold has NO ethanol. Esso's site says the pump will have a label on it if it has ethanol. Petro-Canada has it in all of them. Too bad, that Super 94 from Petro might have been good.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to remember that those shared regular/medium/premium pumps have a ballast of 7l so if the person before you pumped regular and you pick premium, you are getting 7l or so of crap fuel

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to remember that those shared regular/medium/premium pumps have a ballast of 7l so if the person before you pumped regular and you pick premium, you are getting 7l or so of crap fuel

Yeah I pumped out the first 10L into a Jerry can. Just wondering if that little bit of left over from the yr before was enough to trip the sensor. It had sea foam in it plus I took it for a rip before I left and it was fine. No big deal just wondering if it is that finicky

5mphfaster

Reaction score
i hade some av from my 860 doo left over and tried it in my pro. It didnt like it whatsoever seems like theirs not enough compression to burn it properly from the stocker head. it kept missing and farting, once i got it burned out and back on shell fuel not a issue.

Top Bottom