How many B trains are out there?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea that is pretty stupid, the pulling vehicle should be the thing that decides which laws it has to follow. Obviously if you own a rig like that you've got a class 1 and pull 40-60' trailers all the time. Pretty stupid considering that rig weights more then what it is pulling easy.....if neither of those trailers had brakes you wouldn't even feel it pushing. But the laws never make sense.....

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if i read this correctly, i'm allowed to pull triples with a bumber pull RV as well, it does not say i cant, as other provinces doo.

Truck and trailer is only about 45 feet long, so i could add a decent sized second trailer for what ever else i need to bring.

I imagine the total gross combined vehicle weight comes into play pretty fast, my dodge only allows a GCVW of 20,000lbs. I'm already at 16,900lbs when fully loaded for camping, water and all.

However,..... that 16,900lbs includes a rhino in the box of the truck, and when combined with the trailer hitch weight, i'm actually 1050lbs over weight on the truck GVW. (air helper bags pick up the slack very nicely)

So the law would rather see me pull the rhino on a third unit behind the holiday trailer and not have it in the box,.......

Not sure i agree with that, ......but more axles, more brakes,..... i guess it makes sense.

Makes you think.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dean 10:nono:,:eek: Do a search:confused: Govenment of ALBERTA,(Queens Printer), Alberta Regulation 122/2009, Traffic Safety Act, Vehical Equipment Regulation, Part 6, Division 2-Trailers, Towing Prohibitions, 97-(4), (a).

Bruce. :cool::):ranger:

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats a very specific instruction. Perhaps it would be easier for you to mention what .....

""Alberta Regulation 122/2009, Traffic Safety Act, Vehical Equipment Regulation, Part 6, Division 2-Trailers, Towing Prohibitions, 97-(4), (a)""

actually says, then we can all benefit from your knowledge. I'll look it up and post it for everyone

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So,.... after looking up the statement he mentioned,....

Towing prohibitions
97(1) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle or tow a trailer
(a) that is more than 2.6 metres wide, or
(b) that is more than 4.0 metres high as measured from level ground.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the trailer is a mobile home that is not more than 3.05 metres wide.
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a combination of a towing unit and one or more trailers if the combination of vehicles is more than 20 metres long.
(4) A person may drive or operate a combination of a towing unit and 2 trailers only if the combination of vehicles meets the following requirements:
(a) the lead trailer must be towed by a pin and plate fifth wheel coupling mounted over the rear axle of the towing vehicle and fastened to
(i) its frame, or
(ii) the main longitudinal channel sections of a unibody truck construction;
(b) the lead trailer must have 2 or more axles in tandem;
(c) the longer trailer must be the lead trailer;
(d) the hitch connecting the lead trailer and the 2nd trailer must be fastened to the frame of the lead trailer.
(5) This section does not apply to a combination of commercial vehicles.

So, AB Ranger meant to say, the front trailer has to be a fifth wheel.

Dean

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, I am a little short on Computer Smarts, some can just transfer the address, I still can't do pictures/Jpg's.:eek:;) The important thing is know befor you go. I, to pull a B train, a 1992 Dodge D long box,extended cab, a 20 ft 5th wheel,c/w 8 ft camper and a 2007 P Ranger 6X6 (10ft) on deck and a pup behind with a UTV/ATV pullbehind trailer mounted in/on it for extended trips to the nevernever lands.

Bruce.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So by the way that is worded, you can't even have the lead trailer a gooseneck? That makes zero sense. But I guess why would laws make sense......

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So by the way that is worded, you can't even have the lead trailer a gooseneck? That makes zero sense. But I guess why would laws make sense......

Cyle, the " Gooseneck Hitch", a platform or a ball type (hidden hitch), has to be attached to the vehicals FRAME (above the axle), not to the box and has to be attached with bolts not by welding. Not a legal installation if welded to the frame. Drill holes OK, Welding :nono: Check out any of the welding shops that do Custom Trailer Hitches. And NO I do not weld or install hitches but I stayed at a Best Western Motel once.;)

Bruce.:cool:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle, the " Gooseneck Hitch", a platform or a ball type (hidden hitch), has to be attached to the vehicals FRAME (above the axle), not to the box and has to be attached with bolts not by welding. Not a legal installation if welded to the frame. Drill holes OK, Welding :nono: Check out any of the welding shops that do Custom Trailer Hitches. And NO I do not weld or install hitches but I stayed at a Best Western Motel once.;)

Bruce.:cool:

99% of gooseneck hitches are bolted to the frame (don't even need to drill holes), under the box over the axle to the frame.....

Jay K

Reaction score
Don't forget your fifth wheel hitch must now be rated for the entire load, not just the front trailer, not to mention your tow vehicle needs to be rated for the entire load. You also need to check to ensure the frame on the front trailer is rated to pull the second load. Don't bother checking with trailer manufacturer re: allowable second trailer load etc, none will give you a number.
Please be aware if you do get in a wreck, your insurance may be void as you will not be using an engineered set up. Good luck, and try to sleep well now!

kimwin

Reaction score
boys if it is that difficult to figure out dont do it, , if u cant back them up dont pull them, it is not rocket science............ is it? i have pulled them 75 feet no problem no leveling kits nothing just a little brains oops ther none out there is there?

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
boys if it is that difficult to figure out dont do it, , if u cant back them up dont pull them, it is not rocket science............ is it? i have pulled them 75 feet no problem no leveling kits nothing just a little brains oops ther none out there is there?

Kimwin must have done it perfect his 1st time and everytime after that. If people want to try something new, why bash them?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kimwin must have done it perfect his 1st time and everytime after that. If people want to try something new, why bash them?

Yep, I gaurentee the first time anyone tried to back up just one trailer they failed multiple times. 2 seems like it would be quite a bit more challenging. Just because your slow backing it up and takes a few tries doesn't mean you don't know how to pull it :beer:

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I plan on putting a hitch on my 5th wheel this spring to haul boats or quads. Most of the posts have helped with my decision to do it. Being a heavy duty mechanic and a rancher, I'm constantly backing trailer into the shop or up to the chute. Yes, 2 trailers are a little more difficult, but it can be done. Practice makes perfect. I would say to anybody who wants to do this, giver and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Good luck everybody. Post some pics of your train.:d

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hey kimwin, Any idiot with a truck and a right foot can tow a long pair of trailers, It takes brains to learn what the rules are and ensure you are doing it safely. I'd love to hear the conversation on the side of the hwy when they make you leave your boat or atv's behind because you're 10' too long. (legal max is 20m or 65.5') I'll continue to research and educate myself before rollin out in a rig that is either illegal or unsafe.

kimwin

Reaction score
hey kimwin, Any idiot with a truck and a right foot can tow a long pair of trailers, It takes brains to learn what the rules are and ensure you are doing it safely. I'd love to hear the conversation on the side of the hwy when they make you leave your boat or atv's behind because you're 10' too long. (legal max is 20m or 65.5') I'll continue to research and educate myself before rollin out in a rig that is either illegal or unsafe.

i now the rules i was 75 feet but dont u worry about it, i am more then capable of doing this but there are a lot out there that shouldnt pull one trailer, and ive seen it, and laugh, and report, thanks......

kimwin

Reaction score
Yep, I gaurentee the first time anyone tried to back up just one trailer they failed multiple times. 2 seems like it would be quite a bit more challenging. Just because your slow backing it up and takes a few tries doesn't mean you don't know how to pull it :beer:

that is your opinion but why would u pull something u cant back up, just in case u have to and cant ,why attract attention anywhere give the cops a reason to check u out. it is not just backing up its everything about pulling two trailers it can be a handful in the ruts, wind rain, it can be stressfull and there are a lot of people who shouldnt do it because i want to make it home with the family

Top Bottom