House Shingles

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look close at the second picture, you will notice that the drip edge does not reach into the eavestrough far enough. That is where the water is going behind the eavestrough and down the facia. The tough is too low at that point. It is not very difficult to remove the first couple rows of shingles and extend the shingle overhang. That roof vent should have been replaced but I would tar under the nearby shingles to ensure that they do not lift and also tar any exposed nails.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5752.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

Some more pic.s to more easily explain why this guy is a F'n idiot.This guy is a full time roofer,
he does this for a living.Could you imagine how many houses in Lloyd he has f'd up.
I had a home inspector here the other day, he took pic's of every mistake/ f' up. He wrote me a report
of why each item was wrong, but Stated very clearly that they aren't for sure against code.
I'm confused as to why a certified house inspector would be afraid of the word "code".
Even if you go back to 2005 code book, 9.26.7.4 -" no nails or staples are exposed"
9.26.5.1 - (eve protection) "extending FROM the edge of the roof"
Pictures clearly show terrible work but IMO I need a qualified person to write on paper that
the work done is "against code" If this goes to court, telling a judge "IMO this is bad work"
isn't good enough.

Next step, get another roofer to look it over and give a repair quote.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inspectors these days , are not very well versed in what's up to code and what isn't unfortunately. From the pictures just posted above, I can say the paper isn't overlapping the roof edge tin, ( if that is paper) it should be ice and water protection min 36 inch , then succeeding courses of either synthetic paper or felt overlapping the existing by 4 inches. The nails around the vent should be under the shingles lol and hidden, and the only nails that should be visible on the cap are at 1 end and then tarred over . That is a disaster of a roof job my friend, and hopefully you haven't paid him right up for it because that is going to come back and bite you in the ass in time , won't even say maybe but definitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's terrible. I'd be incredibly surprised if you don't have leaks from all those nail holes. By looking at that work i'd guess it's the first time they've ever done shingles. The nails on the bottom part of the vent are right, but need to have tar on them. The side of the vent, you should be smart enough to nail before the shingles, and on the sides I always tar the shingle onto the vent just so no movement, thought stuff like that was just common sense? The cap is just totally wrong, only the last piece should have holes exposed. Obviously the ice and water shield needs to overlap the drip edging too.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should be done mine today. This is day 3. I guess I'd better actually get up on the roof and inspect mine as well before payment although we know the owner of the company and he is up there working too. Although he has done a bunch of houses in the neighbourhood and I have not heard anything bad I'd better check

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I ever like shingling but there are more screw ups with this so called trade than anywhere else in my opinion. One of the most overlooked problems is the plumbing vents, and metal roofing over top of plywood. lloydguys pictures are priceless.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you guy's like my previous posted pic's I should go into attic and take a pic. of roof vents.
They are approx. 2/3 over the hole that is in the plywood. Apparently tape measures are too
high tech. for this guy to operate.
Anyone have access to a 2010 National Builder's Ass. Book? I understand SK doesn't have
any of their own codes, so they fall under national codes.I don't know how Ab work's. Weather
or not this contractor want's to come back and repair his hack job(supervised of course) I need
more current codes on paper.
I just need screen shot's of roofing code section if possible.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been avoiding some of the sagging fascia tin on the garage for awhile now, decided to get at it
and get it fixed. Fascia board on west side of garage was rotten to the bone, FYI, same roofer as house
did the garage in 2009. There are 3 reasons why the fascia is rotten and I had to remove starter strip
and first row of shingles on both sides of the garage. 2 are roofer's fault , 1 is not.
1- eve tin was installed tight to fascia.(same mistake as he did on the house, how is water supposed to get
from the kick into the eve when the kick is directly above back side of eve)
2- approx 3/8" shingle overhang past roof edge trim ( not enough to get water to drip off and get into eve)
3- guy who installed fascia tin cut the 6" tin down to 3 1/2" so he didn't have to remove gutter hanger screw's.
SSPX0058.jpg
SSPX0052.jpg
SSPX0056.jpg
Pic 1 and 2 don't need that much explaining.Since felt he layed down was mostly in good shape, I assume
roof had a leak and rotted plywood before he re shingled the building.Rather than spending 20 minutes and
$20 on a new sheet of plywood, he just never said anything and shingled over rotten wood.
Everything in pic 3 is wrong, it is 100% backwards from the way it is supposed to be done.
eve tin is supposed to be under felt, felt is supposed to be under roof rake tin, and finally , roof rake tin is
supposed to be over eve tin.
Before this house shingle disaster I never really knew FA about shingles, after watching a dozen or so roofing
contractor video's and manufac. video's on youtube. I feel I know a fair bit now.
Crappy for me, I'm way madder now than before, because I now know how things are supposed to be.
I now have a properly installed and better quality drip edge, a proper starter strip with the tar edge under
first row tab's and new plywood where that bad spot was.
And..........on a side note these shingles are supposed to have a 5 5/8" reveal, he installed them from 6"-
6 1/6" over the entire roof(row's aren't even close to straight either) Ridge cap was done same as house.
2 exposed nail's on every 6" tab. over 27' that's 54 exposed nail's waiting to make a very expensive repair.

Thank's McKean roofing for your amazing lack of basic roofing or carpentry skills.

Top Bottom