honda fourtrax

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a 2011 Fourtrax 420 Canadian Trail Edition. Can anyone with first-hand experience please share the good, the bad, and the ugly, regarding this quad? I ride a BruteForce and know nothing about the Hondas.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

van isle

Reaction score
I take you are looking at the that are on clear out right now. My wife has had an 09 since that model first came out. The 420 is a nimble machine that is easy to drvie and carve through technical trails. Having IRS and Power steering make it so much nicer then the older plain jane Models Honda has made for years.

There is only one issue with this model. If you plan on running large mud tires you will have to do a gear reduction. It is an easy swap to do and they are all OEM honda gears (about $150) that you swap out from a solid rear axle model 420. For some reason Honda thought since the CTE model has a tinny bit more Hp then the regular model they would change the gearing on the trans output shaft. There are guys who have come up with multiple gear reductions using custom cut gears and have a total reduction of more then 50% which alows them to turn 32's in any kind of mud.

Over all it has been a very reliable quad and i have to say i really enjoy when the wife does not want to go quading so i can ride it myself. :D

Attachments

• 420 wheelie.jpg
    420 wheelie.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 420 on 32's.jpg
    420 on 32's.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 135

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see anything in the specs about a locking front dif. I'm not used to light and nimble quads, so I couldn't imagine not having one. Does this thing get around OK without a locker?

van isle

Reaction score
Hondas do not a have full diff lock you would have install a detriot locker in the front diff. If a factory front locking diff is a must another really good option is the Kodiak 450 2012 Kodiak 450 EPS LE:Overview It will drive more like your brute because it has a CVT and it also has a diff lock.

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, thanks again. I'm not particularly hung up on having diff lock, as I won't be riding it. In this case "a friend of mine" actually is a friend of mine, not secretly me. :) I was only asking, as I use my front diff lock often, and would be using my winch a lot more without it. The difference, I imagine, is that my quad is much heavier and sinks in EVERYTHING, whereas these smaller, lighter quads probably float over a lot of the same stuff.

I was just asking if you've run into enough situations where you wished you had it. Really sounds like a decent bike, and not having a locking diff isn't really a deal breaker.

Besides, my buddy seems way more interested in trail riding than getting down in the muck anyways. Thanks again!!

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to have a kodiak 450 4x4. they are a great little machine, very nimble.

van isle

Reaction score
One thing i forgot to complain about the Honda is the stupid 11 inch rear wheel. I dont know why they still only offer it with 11 rears and 12 inch fronts. Its not a big deal if your going to stick with the stock rubber but if you want different tires with out getting new rims your tire selection is limited.

Dexx29

Reaction score
I write this as Mik-B's "friend" that he refers to above - I opted to go with the 2012 Brute Force 750 - I like the look and the feel of the machine. Havent had many chances to ride yet, but I like it so far! Honda was an OK price, but I didnt find many people bragging about their Honda as much as those bragging about their Kawasaki.

Top Bottom