Heavy equipment operators need advise please

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey i know there are some heavy equipment operators on here and would like to know how to get in to it. I am sick of my job and need a change i can get by operating an exavator but need more experience because im not great. How do i get that experience i talked to an operator yesturday and he does not have his ticket and says its not woth it is that true? He said most of the guys who have one are not that good anyway what do i need to do to get in to this job im just talking about exavtors really.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ticket isnt worth the paper it is written on. The way is like allot of other trades, take a huge cut in pay and prove yourself. With a hoe you cant pull a grade so your loading trucks, with a dozer you wont be able to shape so its bulking out material, get on a packer and help the good hands shovel out their tracks and grease their machines, ask questions, they put a good word and away you go.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get with a company which operates everything, put in your time, show your willing to learn, run packers and shovel like mentioned above, then start playing in skidsteers when you have the chance and if you have a head on your sholders and your supervisor can see that, the next thing you know you'll start doing dirt work on a grader and messing around in hoes. a lot of companies can get you your certificate like myself i can train others. but if you get a certificate to run a skidsteer, grader or hoe as an example on your own doesn't make you a great operator, i see it all the time , guys applying with me thinking they're operators just because they have the certificate.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Ive been running hoe for a number of years now in the water and sewer industry. The best way to get into a hoe is by working around them, learn what they can do, get in one at lunch time or after work and backfill. Have to start somewhere, I know a packer isn't a track hoe but it's a piece of equipment and it is a good place to start. Don't expect to get into a hoe and be good at it. Everyone has to get experience somewhere.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Oh and as far as the certificate goes well IMO it's a waste of time and money unless you need it to work. I have seen guys show up flashing this ticket around and still couldn't run a sharp stick up a dogs a$$

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been running hoe for a number of years now in the water and sewer industry. The best way to get into a hoe is by working around them, learn what they can do, get in one at lunch time or after work and backfill. Have to start somewhere, I know a packer isn't a track hoe but it's a piece of equipment and it is a good place to start. Don't expect to get into a hoe and be good at it. Everyone has to get experience somewhere.

Just to explain, running a hoe in the city is not the place to start ,takes a very good operator with allot of patience. So many things can go wrong even in a back fill ie powerlines, unmarked water lines, and being able to pull a couple inches of dirt off at a time.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I work for the City Of Regina in road construction, i started off as just a joe blow on the ground with a rake, raking gravel all day. Then got upgraded to a roller operator got my training and "ticket" through the city. Operating a double steel drum roller, I get the opportunities to operate other packers, wobbly(the packer with all the little tires), sheep's foot(the steel roller with the big knobs of metal on the drum), got to go from packing lots of different base materials, and got to pack down Lewvan Street pavement. After the roller i get bumped up to another position taking measurements, of the depth we are at, as stated above to make sure not to hit and lines, although with frost and heavy garbage trucks going through back alleys they really do heave and twist, we have hit a gas main line and had to evacuate the neighborhood around the break. Then from the skilled position(measuring) we get upgraded to payloader, then trucks, then grader.

Last edited:

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advise i'm thinking of contacting some local exavating companys and see if i could work on saturdays for free. Just to be round machines and help out and show im willing do you think that would be a good idea?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should go to one of those job shacks where they are making the Stony trial here in the South. Those guys seem to be working around the clock, and have LOTS of equipment there too.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advise i'm thinking of contacting some local exavating companys and see if i could work on saturdays for free. Just to be round machines and help out and show im willing do you think that would be a good idea?
No one is going to let you run a piece of equipment if your not on payroll or under contract, the liability insurance wouldnt cover you or the machine. If they do they got BALLS. small contractor that you know might let you piss around while hes watching........
You got do your packer time, great way to get in shape is running a jumping jack in a ditch for a summer!!!!!

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Just to explain, running a hoe in the city is not the place to start ,takes a very good operator with allot of patience. So many things can go wrong even in a back fill ie powerlines, unmarked water lines, and being able to pull a couple inches of dirt off at a time.

This is true but you learn how to become good quick lol!

davidyoung39

Reaction score
Website
heavyhaulingjobs.blogspot.com
Hello John. I Recommend you to take heavy equipment training. Getting trained for this industry can be done in one, or a combination of three ways. One can do a formal apprenticeship program. On the job training is also very common. Or many companies offer paid programs for those wishing to follow a career in this industry. After you finish the courses, you will be more competitive when you are applying for a real job.

Top Bottom