Hate it when this starts going around

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look out their gonna close the areas we love.

Canada needs more, bigger parks to protect wildlife: study
By Michel Comte (AFP) – 21 hours ago

OTTAWA — Canada's patchwork of parks must be connected, and more, bigger parks must be created in order to protect the habitats of large roaming animals, said a report Friday.

Canada boasts more than 3,500 protected areas, including 42 national parks.

But the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) in its report warned that several species are at risk of dying out because their designated confines are too small.

"In Canada we have one of the best opportunities left in the world to create big parks that can protect species that need large areas of wilderness to survive," said CPAWS executive director Eric Hebert-Daly.

"Bigger, better managed parks, and more of them, are needed if parks are to fulfill their critical role in protecting Canada's wildlife."

In the past year, the government established the new Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area off the coast of British Columbia, where orca whales feed.

Ottawa also announced it would create new parks to protect wild horses on Sable Island, Nova Scotia and in the Mealy Mountains of Newfoundland, where a herd of woodland caribou roam.

But CPAWS said this falls short.

The non-profit group, which played a lead role in establishing two-thirds of Canada's protected wilderness spaces over the past five decades, prescribed creating even more parks and expanding existing park boundaries.

It also called for the restoration of "wildlife movement corridors" to allow animals to roam between protected areas, for interbreeding and adapting to environmental changes.

"Many of our parks, particularly in southern Canada, are small islands of nature in developed landscapes," the report noted.

"And evidence is growing that for parks to effectively protect wildlife, particularly those species that range over large areas, they need to protect big areas of habitat and be connected together into networks of protected lands and waters."

As examples, the report blamed "habitat fragmentation" for grizzly bear deaths and for the decline of woodland caribou in Banff National Park until the last five caribou were wiped out in an avalanche last year.

Grizzly bears need "an abundance of secure habitat (away from roads and trails)" to survive, the report said. A male grizzly bear can roam over 1,000 square kilometers (385 square miles) to find all the food, shelter, and mates he needs in his lifetime.

Banff 's 6,641 square kilometers (2,564 square miles) is "not enough space for a healthy, viable population to survive," it said.

Six grizzly bears were killed by trains outside the park since 2007 due to "a lack of effective movement corridors."

Banff is connected to Jasper National Park to the north, and to protected areas in Kananaskis Country to the south, but "connecting this complex of protected areas further south is key to the success of this species."

The report was also critical of a proposed Tursujuq Provincial Park's boundaries in Quebec's far north for not including the majority of the habitat of the world's only harbor seals that live permanently in freshwater.

And the development of wineries, retirement homes, small ranches and golf courses near a proposed South Okanagan-Similkameen National Park Reserve in British Columbia is encroaching on the habitat of one-third of the province's species at risk.

In Manitoba province, meanwhile, a recent hunting ban in and near Nopiming Provincial Park is hoped will boost the faltering number of moose that move in and out of the park.

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's pretty rediculous. Out here in Southern Sask. we have far to many animals. Especially deer and coyotes. I think everybody is sendin all the animals out this way. We even have a lot of moose.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look out their gonna close the areas we love.

Canada needs more, bigger parks to protect wildlife: study
By Michel Comte (AFP) – 21 hours ago

As examples, the report blamed "habitat fragmentation" for grizzly bear deaths and for the decline of woodland caribou in Banff National Park until the last five caribou were wiped out in an avalanche last year.

Why do we let these Caribou into the back country? Did these five Caribou have the proper Avalanche training? Did they check the conditions before they left the den?

I heard they were "high-marking":eek:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not going to comment on the proposed connection of more Southern land because I haven't read enough to determine if its a bad or a good thing.

What I really think is rediculous more so than the above is all the people who stop along hiways creating traffic hazards to view and photograph animals. I have seen people throw food to bears, run into the ditch to photograph moose, elk and grizzlies then these animals become used to these people and the handouts and approach someone, or maybe even attacks someone, and then the animal is put down because it is apparently aggressive?

Its not like the animals know the difference, yet each year too many animals are destroyed because of reasons like this.

Am I worried about land closures, sure, but I am also concerned that there are sometimes things that are more important than me being able to enjoy sledding. Do I agree with every single decision, certainly not, but unless I am educating myself on the reasons then I shouldn't complain.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not going to comment on the proposed connection of more Southern land because I haven't read enough to determine if its a bad or a good thing.

What I really think is rediculous more so than the above is all the people who stop along hiways creating traffic hazards to view and photograph animals. I have seen people throw food to bears, run into the ditch to photograph moose, elk and grizzlies then these animals become used to these people and the handouts and approach someone, or maybe even attacks someone, and then the animal is put down because it is apparently aggressive?

Its not like the animals know the difference, yet each year too many animals are destroyed because of reasons like this.

Am I worried about land closures, sure, but I am also concerned that there are sometimes things that are more important than me being able to enjoy sledding. Do I agree with every single decision, certainly not, but unless I am educating myself on the reasons then I shouldn't complain.

You weren't born in Alberta, were you? :smiliestirthepot: Educate yourself before you complain?!?! I bet you even take the time to hear the issues...and then actually vote!!!! You don't belong here....

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should be looking at properly managing parks already in existence such as Banff. Why has the federal government allowed all the development inside the town of Banff? They are money hungry from what I can see and can't manage one of the most beautiful parks in the world. Only essential staff should be allowed to live there. Camping should be allowed and hotels should be booted to Canmore or there abouts. No one is more to blame when it comes to animal deaths in Banff than the park management at the highest levels. As far as issues like protecting specific animals which are still hunted by not only local residents, but nonresidents also, someone has to give their head a shake. The forests across Canada belong to everyone and should be used for recreational purposes minus Extreme noise, erosion and poaching in any form. By the way, I am an avid hunter, fisherman, quadder, sledder and hiker as is the rest of my family. I'm just saying lets manage what we have first before flying off the handle. We'll shut down areas and place restrictions for some while blatantly allowing restriction free activities for others. We need balance not more rules.

Last edited:

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i'm not defending them or anything but

hate is for hitler.

just sayin.........

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty interesting how a bunch of environmentalists can pick a name for their organization that actually sounds "credible" to city folk that don't know any better. "Canadian" Parks & Wilderness Society. Has quite a ring to it!

Google "Yellowstone to Yukon". You won't like what you find!

We're gonna lose! It's only a matter of time! :(

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that just sounds like a huge waste of land. Connecting the parks. Might as well make them a highway, with lights, turning lanes and rest area's as well.

I hate when I hear about closures. Especially for the area's we sled in. Then you see the helicopters going in and messing with the area for their damn heli-skier's.

I think this "Michel Comte" Need's to be taken up to the mountains.. not on the sled, but duct taped to a crazy carpet behind my sled. On the renshaw 32km (I might be wrong) Trail.:beer::d :nono:

/End rant.

Top Bottom