GoPro Batteries

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the original (non-HD) GoPro which only takes AAA batteries. Doesn't last long with Alkaline or even Nmh out in the cold and Lithium's are super expensive. Sooo, thinking of using a flat 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable from my a point and shoot camera, solder leads on it and velcro/strap it to the outside of the waterproof case, drill a hole and seal the wires though the case then use 3/8 wooden dowel as dummy batteries to make the connection inside the GoPro. Has anyone soldered to a battery before? Yah I know don't want to heat it up too much! Going to throw on the faceshield, gloves and give it a shot tomorrow, wish me luck! :D

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's probably safe, or at least I'm dumb enough that I'd try it too.

The one thing I would say, is get yourself a flux pen, and use it liberally. Will reduce the amount of heat you need to transfer to the top of the battery, for the solder to take.

Good luck.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figure I'll hook it up to the charger in a similar way I've got it hooked up to the GoPro. Either make up a dummy square battery like this one and slide the wires between it and the charger to touch the contacts or squish the wire leads between my spare battery and the charger. Not sure if the charger will like to have 2 batteries hooked up in parallel so don't know if I want to do that. I'm thinking a small piece of wood same shape as battery and have the wires folded over so they touch the contacts.

So I soldered the leads on the battery, went smoothly. Didn't heat up the battery contacts much so hoping the solder sticks. I heated up the wire leads quite a bit, put solder on them and then pinched them between the battery and the soldering pencil for just a couple seconds. Time will tell how it holds up in the elements. Took 7/16" wooden dowel cut to same length as a AAA batter, cut slots in one end of each then bared the wires and ran them into the slots and flared out the wire strands. Camera turned on and works just fine. Waiting for the silicone to set up where I ran the wires through the waterproof case then going to try it out on the sled. Too bad it's warming up now, would like to see how long it lasts in the real cold. Maybe I'll try turning it on and leaving it in the freezer for a while, that'll be a good test ha ha! :D

Attachments

• IMG-20120410-00540.jpg
    IMG-20120410-00540.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-20120410-00543.jpg
    IMG-20120410-00543.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG-20120410-00538.jpg
    IMG-20120410-00538.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 81

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could connect leads to the charger and just clip them to the wires, using small alligator clips. (I don't know if you need the charger for anything else, other than this battery)

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could connect leads to the charger and just clip them to the wires, using small alligator clips. (I don't know if you need the charger for anything else, other than this battery)

Good idea but I've still got the point and shoot that this spare battery came from, so kind of need it to charge the original battery. Won't be a big deal to cut and shape up a piece of wood same size as this lithium. :)

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a set of good quality aaa rechargable work just as good? Plus you could carry extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All rechargeable's are 1.2 volt (X 2 = 2.4v), camera likes lithium (non-rechargeable) which are 1.7v (X 2 = 3.4v). When it sees low voltage (low battery) it shuts down automatically. Nmh batteries work ok in summer but still don't last all that long so I was carrying lots of spares and then would lose good footage because it shut off in the middle of a ride. Sledding was even worse, wouldn't last long at all. Lithium AAA's are like $14 for a pack of 4, so 2 sets and they still wouldn't last long. Hit and miss when I was buying them, guessing some were old stock 'cause a new set I put in only lasted a few minutes out sledding in cold weather. My point and shoot used the same flat lithium-ion rechargeable and it lasts forever taking video or still pictures even in the cold so hoping for the best! :D

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the finished product, next time I'll add a quick disconnect to the leads so I can carry a spare battery. And need to find some big heat shrink tubing to wrap around the battery.

Attachments

• IMG-20120410-00544.jpg
    IMG-20120410-00544.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-20120410-00545.jpg
    IMG-20120410-00545.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-20120410-00546.jpg
    IMG-20120410-00546.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom