Foggy goggles screwing you over?

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea. I think it would work better if you could connect it to the battery of the sled and mount to the riser maybe? The last thing I need is something else on my back.
i think your going to have a hard time keeping moisture out using a small wattage battery powered heater.

Last edited:

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only google warmer I have found that worked was the ones mounted in the m chassis. There was enough ventilation and enough heat to dry them without melting them. The warmers on the xm and the proclimb are not the answer and there is not much space to mount one anywhere else under the hood without being too close to the pipe and melting. I would definately buy this IF it was actualy able to dry them but I am definately sceptic of the power supply. Good luck with the product and I hope it works. If it works, put me down for 10..... One stop christmas shopping.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see a compact battery keeping up with an effective heating element. Have you crunched the power numbers?
X2, great idea but I think it could be tough to get a small battery to power the fans and the heating element simultaneously and for any length of time. Sledders have the advantage of extra heat and electrical power due to the internal combustion engine at the front of the sled, pretty much a google dryer built in. Other backcountry users don't and I could see this helping them out

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only google warmer I have found that worked was the ones mounted in the m chassis. There was enough ventilation and enough heat to dry them without melting them. The warmers on the xm and the proclimb are not the answer and there is not much space to mount one anywhere else under the hood without being too close to the pipe and melting. I would definately buy this IF it was actualy able to dry them but I am definately sceptic of the power supply. Good luck with the product and I hope it works. If it works, put me down for 10..... One stop christmas shopping.

X2, great idea but I think it could be tough to get a small battery to power the fans and the heating element simultaneously and for any length of time. Sledders have the advantage of extra heat and electrical power due to the internal combustion engine at the front of the sled, pretty much a google dryer built in. Other backcountry users don't and I could see this helping them out
How do you guys keep getting your googles fogged up and how does your computer last through that?

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about this idea (and you can send me a free one when you make it) ;) ;)

Instead of using a battery to produce heat / forced air, just take what your sled gives you ... This would work really well on the doos and I'm sure the pro and cats have a similar thing going on

Under your clutch cover there is a lot of hot air circulating and being vented somewhere ... the doo's already have a goggle mount for the clutch cover.. all you need to do is drill a 1/2" hole in the clutch cover, plumb that into your goggle case to divert some of that hot air, and either vent it out or vent it back into your clutch cover if you really want .. turbo goggle defogger .. Stick a filter on it if you don't like belt dust on your goggles ... i bet you could defog / dry goggles in 1 minute flat !

I personally ride with 3 pairs of oakleys, use the clutch heat for gloves and the glove compartment for my electronics.. keeps the batteries happy and keeps my beacon away from the phone / radio / etc..

Last edited:

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride hard, stuck, dig, me breathe lots, no sit on ars at cabin. Sorry fella I'll write post like that from now so you might be able to pick it up.
How do you guys keep getting your googles fogged up and how does your computer last through that?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy fawk.......If you used 2 "AA" batteries @ 1.5V each, and a nominal amperage rating of 2000 mAH for those batteries, (with no parasitic loss and assuming a constant voltage rate from a battery which are both impossible but OK... let's assume that's possible), with one battery dedicated to driving the fans and one battery dedicated to the heating element - you get the following - Wattage = Volts X Amps. (1.5 V X 2.00 A) = 3 Watts. This doesn't include the resistance of the wire element either or the fact that you will need some kind of controller/resistor. You can make a simple heating element out of a battery and a spring from a pen, see how it works and how long it lasts. Most stand alone heaters are around 1500 W, so this heating element would produce 0.2% of that....at peak....with batteries exposed to the cold.........with an exponentially decreasing power source as the battery drains........ I'm one of the guys with a sweaty head and have always had problems with goggles fogging up, I've probably owned 30-40 pairs or more, currently carry about 3 pairs per day, and have 6 in my big sledding bag. Have tried everything from $30-$300, its not the goggles fault or poor design, I have a sweaty head and need a helmet with tons of venting that won't freeze my head (in winter...hard to do). I would absolutely welcome any solution that allowed me to have no fog goggles, but don't want to see someone invest hard earned money without research. Call me a d!ck I guess.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
holy fawk.......If you used 2 "AA" batteries @ 1.5V each, and a nominal amperage rating of 2000 mAH for those batteries, (with no parasitic loss and assuming a constant voltage rate from a battery which are both impossible but OK... let's assume that's possible), with one battery dedicated to driving the fans and one battery dedicated to the heating element - you get the following - Wattage = Volts X Amps. (1.5 V X 2.00 A) = 3 Watts. This doesn't include the resistance of the wire element either or the fact that you will need some kind of controller/resistor. You can make a simple heating element out of a battery and a spring from a pen, see how it works and how long it lasts. Most stand alone heaters are around 1500 W, so this heating element would produce 0.2% of that....at peak....with batteries exposed to the cold.........with an exponentially decreasing power source as the battery drains........ I'm one of the guys with a sweaty head and have always had problems with goggles fogging up, I've probably owned 30-40 pairs or more, currently carry about 3 pairs per day, and have 6 in my big sledding bag. Have tried everything from $30-$300, its not the goggles fault or poor design, I have a sweaty head and need a helmet with tons of venting that won't freeze my head (in winter...hard to do). I would absolutely welcome any solution that allowed me to have no fog goggles, but don't want to see someone invest hard earned money without research. Call me a d!ck I guess.

One day I'm gunna set up a geek off between you and rusty.... So you can both solve some super technical problem in the most detailed over explained confusing way possible.

But first we will have to get Rusty to focus one something for more than 30 seconds

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride hard, stuck, dig, me breathe lots, no sit on ars at cabin. Sorry fella I'll write post like that from now so you might be able to pick it up.

You guys are both a little trigger happy this morning. I asked about your googles not your goggles.

Top Bottom