Goggle Bag and next to skin clothing question.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a question for you all. First, Goggles. Been hearing you should have two pair. I don't as of yet but when I do I also heard you need to have a warm place to put them to dry out...But where? I have a belt bag on top of my clutch guard where it would be nice and warm (I usually keep my drink bottle in it so it doesn't freeze) but I'm pretty sure the goggles wont fit in the bag. So I need some ideas. I also have a window bag but I don't think there are any vent holes to let heat up and out so thats no good. Do you keep your spare goggles in a hard case? or just in a bag? Where do you put them??

Belt bag not installed yet on Katie's sled in this picture but it's right where the belt is now.....
1450477c.jpg

Next question. I'm all geared up with brand new Motor Fist gear. I have the base layer and outer layer in pants and jacket. I have no clue how warm this stuff is and what I should be wearing for next to skin. I have a pile of running gear. I have base layer clothing for running. Being running gear it's good for wicking etc (it's not cotton...cotton is rotten)...... If it's -20 should I wear two tech running shirts, one long sleeve and one short sleeve, my mid and outer layer?? at -10 do I just wear a tech shirt and outer layer? With my old gear I was layered up so much I could hardly move... those days are behind me!

RZonetwenty

Reaction score
As for the goggles my foursquare jacket has a large pocket on the inside to keep goggles. It fits a pair of Spy goggles nicely and the goggle's natural curve follows my stomach pretty closely which is nice. This might not be an option if you tend to be in the trees alot and dont want to risk breaking your goggles but IMO most goggles are pretty flexible and shouldn't be a problem. Also I havent tried to cram my new 509's in that pocket, with all that extra foam they might not fit. I have be told that an underhood bag is the best option for goggles as it dries them out in a hurry.

Personally I wear a full base layer (Helly Hansen Dry pants and shirt), Lululemon Sweats, t-shirt, hoody and jacket this combo seems to keep me warm down to -20, I keep the hoody on up too probably -5 or so as my jacket isn't the warmest out there.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right now I keep an extra pair of goggles in my backpack and a backup pair in my belt guard bag. I will be buying an under hood goggle bag so I can dry out gloves or thaw goggles. I'll keep them there instead of the belt guard bag.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to keep spare goggles in my Dakine Helipro pack as it has a goggle compartment. This year I bought an RSI goggle bag. In yours I would mount it on the belt guard or airbox. For layers I start with a dry fit layer and then my trusty stanfield wool shirt under my shell jacket. I pack a fleece jacket in my bag for really cold days or an unexpected overnight stay.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you stop when out riding set them under the hood somewhere where they will not melt on hot metal and close the hood to keep the heat in and the snow out.i keep mine on my helmet and then hang my helmet on the handle bars.this way the inside of the goggles stay free of snow flakes. My spare goggles are kept in my back pack.My new XM has a special place for goggles!!!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i keep a pair in my pack and a pair on my belt guard in a hard 509 case that i have tywraped to the belt guard. I also have a arctic cat mesh goggle bag on my can side, but found it gets packed with snow. I also have 1-2 spare lenses per pair of goggles. if you can't see, you can't ride. as far as layers, dress according to your riding style and temps. what i mean is if you ride hard and lots you will create lots of body heat, but if you like to ride a bit and stop and relax, you might get cold quicker, so dress in more layers or bulkier. if its -10 to -15 ish I wear just one layer of drawer thats tight to skin to wick moisture away, then my motofist mid layer pants and zip up then my motorfist shell. if its colder, i will add another layer to my top section, as my legs usually stay warm. i also keep dry gloves in my pack in a zip lock bag, usually have too out them on mid/end day depending on how many stucks we've had and so on, find my gloves stay pretty dry until I'm in the snow digging out machines and what not.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all your input. Where can I get a cheap vented goggle bag??

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get a goggle bag that fits under your hood, that's def. the way to go. Had one come with the Cat a couple years ago and couldn't believe how useful it was. I won't not have one now, I rotate them through the day and never have a wet, foggy, frozen pair of goggles. I keep the third pair in my pack, they are the ride out goggles and for night riding.

For layers, if you go with a tighter fitting base layer, a thin, wicking layer..followed by a heavier mid layer and then your jacket, that should be what you need for most riding days if you're actually riding and it's not a social, sit around kinda ride. ;) For colder days you might want to toss an extra layer on, a fleece or something you can easily pack if you're too hot. Or have a beefier mid layer, that's what we have. A decent mid layer shirt for most days and a thicker quilted mid layer that's for colder weather our base layer doesn't change...just what's between the base and jacket.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always tried to practice good layering. Whether it is sledding, or hunting in previous years, hiing, fishing, whatever. I always buy quality gear that isn't just suitable for sledding, something I can get multiple uses out of. My outter gear has been Klim and Doo, my new Klim jacket is going to be my favorite I know for sure.

As mentioned, base layers should be fairly tight fitting. You already have running gear, but that is likely ultra-light synthetics. I am not a fan of synthetics, and ultr-light gear is simply going to wick, not insulate. Mid weights make good base layers. Normally with quality outter gear you should be able to get away with one mid weight base layer and not worry about anything else. Your riding style and location will make a difference. I always find the coldest places to ride I will wear a second layer under my jacket.

I prefer quality wool gear though. Wool socks, wool base layer pants, wool light or mid weight long sleeve shirts. Its not cheap, but I won't be the smelly guy in the bar. Plus with wool gear if you are hoteling it for a few days you can get multiple rides out of the wool layers. Lots of people buy multiple synthetic base layers, I just buy one or two sets of wool stuff and pay the same at the end of the day.

-20 is cold. I guess if you are riding a lot in AB you will have that cold weather. Rarely does it get that cold in BC riding areas. Golden has its moments. Even in cold weather you shouldn't have to double up your base layers, with a mid and outter layer. You said you bought the base layer and depending on the series of motorfist gear you have you may want a mid layer. Best thing to do is dress warm for your first few trips, and you can always remove a layer.

Also, when you are really working on milder days, don't forget to let the heat out. Free up all the area around your neck, open up pit zips, back zips, whatever your jacket has. When you pull your helmet off don't leave your goggles on the helmet. There is a lot of heat held in the helmet which will lead to goggles fogging.

As far as goggles, I carry a spare with a different lens. Sunny days I wear tints, but as the sun goes down or weather changes I will swap out.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry my mistake. I have Motor Fist mid layer and outer layer. I was going to use my running gear for the base layer(next to skin). Sorry for the confusion.
The running gear is warm. I've ran outside at -20 and a wind chill (and it looks like I'm outside in a windbreaker). But when you are running your body thinks it's 10 degrees warmer than it actually is.

Thank you all agian for your input.

I went to Mountain Equipment Coop today and found a little vented bag for $7.00. If it doesn't work out no big loss. Going to try and carabiner it to the top of the clutch cover, beside the belt bag.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the bag with a pair of goggles in it. Probably should use a goggle bag as well?????
IMG-20121117-00130_zps7b4b1cfb.jpg

The carabiner idea didn't work out as it was to far under the plastic and hard to get at. Couldn't get at the zipper. So I took a couple zip ties and made a loop off of the belt velcro holder.

IMG-20121117-00131_zpsaa9d15ea.jpg

Tucked in place...
IMG-20121117-00132_zps94736865.jpg

Even if it some how it does move it can't get around to the belt....

IMG-20121117-00134_zpsf96d56ed.jpg

Top Bottom