GMC driveline harshness advice

RMKRookie

Reaction score
I have an 08 GMC 2500hd that is all stock including the tires, with 20,000k and about 1000k ago, I notced that under light to moderate acceleration, there was a roughness like a u joint was gone - this starts at 40 and seems to end around 100k. Tires have been rebalanced, driveshaft replaced at dealer, tranny and pinion shimmed to GM spec at dealer - was there three days and they said that is is gone. I picked it up and drove less than 5 k in rush hour and it still seems there - any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks

RMKRookie

Reaction score
That is what I suggested to the dealer and they said they checked - another thought was a tooth missing on the crown? but there is no whine and the harshness is not there under coasting

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had something that sounds like this. Only it was on a Buick. At the end of all the BS. it was the tires ! I know you checked them but so did we. Hope this helps you out.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto on tires. Could be caused by feathering on your front tires due to hard cornering or poor wheel balance or any number of other issues.

Hard cornering can cause lug distortion on the outside edge of the front tires which causes the leading edge to wear faster. This wear causes the vibration.

RMKRookie

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will try another set of rims and tires then back to the dealer; dealer said was fixed last time - that this is normal for these trucks to have this harshness on accelleration. Thanks

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will try another set of rims and tires then back to the dealer; dealer said was fixed last time - that this is normal for these trucks to have this harshness on accelleration. Thanks

B.S. it is normal...Mine doesnt shake or vibrate.Take it back till they fix it right,,JMO

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine had a pinion bearing go at 50k km. It felt normal untill 70km then shook like mad untill you slowed to 10k or accelerated to 90.

Mine was running a tune so that may have contributed, but I believe it only accelerated an existing issue.

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine was/is an 07 1/2 ton the vibration got so bad the gm mechanic finally quit saying that it's "normal for the model" a couple weeks later at 20,000 they put a new tranny in. the old one was rubbing inside the housing. the next vibration that appeared at 110,000 and we changed the left front cv joint which fell out when we turned hard in a parking lot (very lucky) The truck has 166,000km now and there is still a 100,000 to 120,000km/hr vibration that can't be found. "Must be normal for the model" all I can say is don't stop at the rearend, check the entire driveline good luck

Wildreaper

Reaction score
I had the same thing on a 2007 1/2 Dually they ended up changing everything on the drive lines including pinion bearings. Mine was also eating front tires every 7-10km on the front so GM got tired of Paying for tires so they fixed the problem but I heard the same stories as you that the vib was normal, :nono:but I didn't rest till they hated the sight of me in the dealership with that truck. Now it's fixed no problems with the truck at all.

RMKRookie

Reaction score
truck finally fixed - almost thirty days at the dealer in two months - torque convertor changed - bought new in mean time, now GMC for sale

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
price??

I had a suposidly "common" issue with an insane almost grinding type noise, they said its common for the chain in the transfer cas to wear quickly :s

Top Bottom