Gas prices

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, the prices are too high to say the least....

The multi-nationals to increase profit fabricated the oil shortage in the mid-seventies... Historical record, "they got OPEC to slow production down, supply & demand + speculation"

In 2004 when fuel prices started climbing through the roof in the USA, the public got excited. Bush had a meeting with the CEO's of the Oil Companies. They all promised him there were more than sufficient reserves. The same companies that were jacking prices up in the US were dumping fuel and bi-products in South America.

Look at their record setting profit margins... You cannot even begin to imagine those kinds of numbers.... I have no issue with a company making a profit... but to manipulate world markets, and sell ch!t fuel at premium prices is a bit much.

All of these big projects in Northern Alberta are based (designed around) a $20/barrel market. They actual production costs are down around the $12.50/barrel mark. This equate to a 38% profit.

Oil selling for $105/barrel equates to a profit margin of 840%, add the premium for synthetic oil, and the conversion between our barrel and the US barrel... and you are looking at a profit margin of 1260%

How big was your last raise??? Anything along these increases? You’re lucky if you got a 2% increase which is inflation… Did you get a bonus which was big enough to take the family to McDonalds?

Yes, I would love to see more refineries here in Alberta, supporting our economy, shipping the finished product south... Secondly, Alberta should have a 2-tier system like Alaska (domestic & export markets with different price structures) but that will never happen.... There are no people in Government (Provincial or Federal) with balls or a backbone...

I actually smile everytime I fill up, no not cause I drive a car (dodge hemi), but because I know the province is getting richer and creates more jobs for me...:twocents: Am I the only one?? If prices weren't this high, would there be as many jobs out there for all of us???

I would like to see more refineries built in AB...

couleeman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thoughts.... but what kind of bike....??? So many to choose from..

All depends on your style of riding and why you are buying it. DON'T buy a bike for commuting reasons.... not worth it. To many lost days due to weather and other stuff.

However, if you have or want one, you may as well use it as much as you can for commuting...

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1.27/L for diesel in Grande Cache. I feel so dirty, and violated everytime I pull away from the pumps.:eek::eek:

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go To Flying Jay's Just Outside Of The Park, Filled Up Today 1.12 Liter Diesel, They Are Always Cheaper There.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many people on this site work "in the Patch". I know that I don't and I know a few other memebers that don't.

Do you think you should have lower gas/diesel prices than the rest of us because you work "in the patch"?

You totally missed my point by a mile! Have you ever heard of the "supply chain" If the farmers or truckers or whoever costs go up it will eventually be passed on to the consumer, if your groceries went up 25% would you like that?
It comes out of the bloody ground here and we as ALBERTANS! pay 15 cents more at the pump than in ontario, look at BC our neighbour they pay 25 cents more than Ont
Wether or not I work in the patch or not is irrelevant!:realmad:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You totally missed my point by a mile! Have you ever heard of the "supply chain" If the farmers or truckers or whoever costs go up it will eventually be passed on to the consumer, if your groceries went up 25% would you like that?
It comes out of the bloody ground here and we as ALBERTANS! pay 15 cents more at the pump than in ontario, look at BC our neighbour they pay 25 cents more than Ont
Wether or not I work in the patch or not is irrelevant!:realmad:

Well said.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said.

Agreed here as well. Recent survey found that the cost of living to ALbertans rose a whopping 14% between 2005 and 2006. It equated to about $10,000 per household. That was strictly for fuel, shelter and taxes. Highest increase in a province in the 40 year history of the survery. Lowest provine was Manitoba, followed by....get this...Ontario at 1% and 2% respectively. But hey, we all went out to vote for a different provincial government didn't we. Sure the oil patch sounds good, and people are making money from it, but your cost of living here is going through the roof. So I ask, where is the Alberta Advantage!!?? It took a hike about a year ago! Groceries have been sneaking up, but it's sublte so you probably hav enot noticed. Resteraunts have raised prices. Heck, even Tim Hortons raised there prices here, highest price for a Tim's cup anywhere in Canada. They "had" a policy of consistant prices across the country. Not any longer, not here. Anything with grains/rice in it has or is going up 30%. You think your propery value going up is wonderful, but when the city puts a 10% tax increase on your property, your paying that increase on the new value of your home. ch!t flows down hill and it's always the consumer that pays the price.

My ancestors settled this province, started the oil boom, built these cities we live in. I was born and raised here. Where is MY Alberta advantage??!! Apparently it's flowing into the pockets of American and European oil barons.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
your in alberta... everyone works for the patch... hell... Canada works for the patch :p

Actually not a great percentage of Albertan's work in the patch. When you factor in the influx of newfies etc there are very few people originally from Alberta that work in the patch.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Actually not a great percentage of Albertan's work in the patch. When you factor in the newfies etc there are very few from Alberta that work in the patch. Most of US could care less
if the patch had a couple years of reality check. That being lower wages, layoffs, backrupties etc to bring things back in balance.

The natural gas industry is facing a bit of a reality check and there is more to come.

... What percentage would you be guessing ?... Maybe US could Ask the newfies etc if they want a reality check ! :D

Top Bottom