fifth to low

randster

Reaction score
I recently moved up from 1/2 ton to a dodge 2500 diesel. Now my fifth wheel is pulling up hill and I have some clearance issues. The truck has no lift but has over sized tires. Flipping the axels should cure the problem, but I'm wondering if any one has done this them selves or should I pay the pro's to have it done? I was told by a RV dealer that there is re-welding of brackets involved. Trailer is 97 model Jayco with Dexter tandems.
Thanks in advance

tekimsbro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
randster...you need to weld new saddles on the top of your axles and then mount the springs on top of your axles. Do NOT flip your axles over. The parts are 4 new saddles (prob $4 ea) and then usually new U-bolts. Parts are not expensive, labour will cost you at a dealership. It is not hard to do. Hope this helps.

Mark
Happy Camper RV
Edson, AB
Happy Camper RV - Edson, Alberta

700WFO

Reaction score
I have to agree with tekimsbro on not just "flipping" the axles over, reason being is that axles have an engineered bend to them to provide 2 things. First it provides camber to take the natural flex of weight on it to hold the wheels in a straighter upright position, and secondly to provide toe-in to offset the natural action of the tire to want to turn outward during forward rotation while driving down the road. To simply flip them over would seriously compound the wear on them to a very premature death. If the axles are not already fitted with reverse saddles (top and bottom of axle), then new saddles can easily be welded on takiing care that they are exactly 180 degrees to the original saddles. If they are equipped with the reverse saddles, the easiest way is to take the leaf springs out and around the axle to avoid having to disconnect any brake lines or electric brake wires. This also gives an opportunity to inspect the bushings on the leaf springs for wear. The ease of this task depends on mechanical ability mostly and access to any welding needed. Parts are readily available at Princess Auto, and welding can be negotiated easily. hope this helps, Happy Camping

I recently moved up from 1/2 ton to a dodge 2500 diesel. Now my fifth wheel is pulling up hill and I have some clearance issues. The truck has no lift but has over sized tires. Flipping the axels should cure the problem, but I'm wondering if any one has done this them selves or should I pay the pro's to have it done? I was told by a RV dealer that there is re-welding of brackets involved. Trailer is 97 model Jayco with Dexter tandems.
Thanks in advance

randster

Reaction score
I have done the change over on my axels. To the tune of $90.00 for parts, and about 5 hours of work.
I had two quotes, both around $600.00 . I did not have reverse saddles, but I do now. The trailer is still sits a bit lower at the back, but much better. (them Dodges stand fairly tall) I make my living as a millwright so I did not find it to difficult to do. All I needed was some technical advice. Thanks again. ....randster

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
... Flipping axles.... I refer that to moving the suspension to the top ! .... Lazy mans saying (Slang).

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to flip your center pin on your leaf springs, C-clamp on both sides of the pin and flip it around. I've done this probably 10-15 times on a CJ-7, CJ-5 Jeep. Not hard to do, a good dial degree level,welder and some planning. YOU CAN DOOOO IT!!!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
So how much would you charge to flip the axles on a CJ5?

Don't forget to flip your center pin on your leaf springs, C-clamp on both sides of the pin and flip it around. I've done this probably 10-15 times on a CJ-7, CJ-5 Jeep. Not hard to do, a good dial degree level,welder and some planning. YOU CAN DOOOO IT!!!

Top Bottom