F150 Halogens - Brutal

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have the halogens on my 2014 F150, because I bought off the lot and didn't want an FX4, etc, or more like I didn't want the price. So for that reason, I bought off the lot. I like the truck, but these lights are terrible. I drive with low beam at night, because the high is just that bad.

Question is - has anyone done an HID (projector) retrofit on an F150, OEM parts or aftermarket? Seems like the aftermarket ones look a bit 'China' to me, but I could be wrong. Seems about a grand and up for this.

Would new bulbs make any difference at all? Don't want to throw the dough away.

Or do I just buy a 30" light bar and be done? With that option, I still have these crappy halogens though. Wish I would have factory ordered. Only a $600 option when doing it that way.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Retrofit hid's are all junk.... and ANNOYING!!

Sorry that you didn't buy the update.

They are not all that bad.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Retrofit hid's are all junk.... and ANNOYING!!

Sorry that you didn't buy the update.

They are not all that bad.

I agree. To be clear I mean the whole housing, projector, etc from Ford or similar....NOT the ridiculous Beamers HID kits.

I have the Ford HID projectors in an Explorer and they are ok. Light years better than the halogens. These just seem especially bad. My last GM had way better stock headlights.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what is involved, but perhaps the wreckers are getting some in now, since they are a couple of years old..

I agree. To be clear I mean the whole housing, projector, etc from Ford or similar....NOT the ridiculous Beamers HID kits.

I have the Ford HID projectors in an Explorer and they are ok. Light years better than the halogens. These just seem especially bad. My last GM had way better stock headlights.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy does great work I have them and no issues www.raptorretrofit.com[URL] Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could your headlights be out of adjustment? I've had my buckets out a couple of times on my F150, I'm not sure if you can align these or not though. Might be something to look in to though if your brights are as bad as you say

Sent from my iPad

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'll look at adjusting them. The high beam gives less visibility than the low beam by quite a bit.

Anyone use a Speed Demon LED on a side note. Not sure I want to swallow the Rigid Light bar price again. Looking at 30" if I go this route...

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '13 F150 that had the halogens and I agree, they were brutal. My truck is only used in the bush for work and after writing off one truck because of a moose, I needed better lights. I did a Bright Source HID Conversion and although it's not as good as an HID/projector setup, it is far, far superior to the stock halogens. The HIDs are ten months old now and even though they're on day and night (daytime running lights), they've worked flawlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched bulbs to Sylvania Ultra Star when I had mine. Actually made a big difference. Could try that and see what ya think. Stock light was horrible.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched bulbs to Sylvania Ultra Star when I had mine. Actually made a big difference. Could try that and see what ya think. Stock light was horrible.

Those bulbs are a definite improvement in almost anything, but if you do any amount of driving, I've found they don't last any longer than about a year. Carry spares. If they're easy to change, you're fine, but some vehicles are a real PITA.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went from a 2011 chev to a 2013 F150 and couldn't believe how dim the highbeams were. After time noticed I was getting flashed every so often so next service had them lowered and HUGE difference. Now when I have an overweight load of firewood on or something it reacts the same as when the lights were high and cant see squat

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the Silverstars on my last truck and they were an improvement for sure. Not so keen on the lifespan though, but that's the trade off. Looking at some Phillips Crystal/Extreme vision bulbs...they seem to have decent reviews. I'll definitely try aiming these current lights as well, as that is probably a bit of of the problem for sure.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These HID housings to get after the fact from Ford are a bit much (around 1500(!)). Looks like new halogen bulbs and light bar is going to be the way go. Thinking a 30", behind the grill, likely a single row. Little less ripe for thieving back there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you know what type of bulbs are in your truck? there are some halogens made by phillips that are the best bulbs on the market called the HIR1 and HIR2, but you can only get them in 9005 or 9006 base. just google them, they are OEM bulbs in John Deere and Caterpillar equipment. I used them before I went to HID in my GM, also put them in the wife's Envoy. they are hands down the brightest halogens you can buy.

New Genuine Philips HIR1 (9011) & Philips HIR2 (3rdGen) (9012) <B>-- ON SALE!!</B>

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. They are a 9008 H/L and the fog is a 9140. I'll check that out though. The Phillips bulbs seem to be popular.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411245562.701425.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411245575.899569.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411245992.478963.jpg

Not my truck but what I would to end up with. Looks like a perfect mounting spot.

Top Bottom