Engine life across the board seems to be dropping? Or is it just me?

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the etec engine is proving to be a reliable engine. They wouldn't be backing it with a 4 yr warranty if it was a time bomb. Not to many failures in my neck of the woods. Actually none that I know of but I'm sure there's a few it's just statistics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Same deal- i know 20+ etec riders with no issues and lots of miles. years range from 2011 forward. Ive owned 5 sleds in my life with hardly an issue. 1 new top end on a 01 Polaris RMK 700 at 3000km, I purchased the sled at 2000km, not sure how it was ridden as multiple people were using it as it was owned by a ski company who entertained newbies to equate to sales. Did the the top end road it to 6000km then the sled started self destructing. Wheels falling off-bearings toast-cowling-etc. New engine was to much for the miles....

I just got a 14 freeride with 4 years warranty. I have all winter off from work and I can put unlimited miles on my sled. I have no worries from these rediculous forum postings as my experience is I use my sled and my sleds last. After all these years I am finally stoked to actually have something I would consider reliable and I think if you develop some patience as an operator of said machine then it will last beyond the warranty period and much more!! Thanks Ski-Doo for stepping up and offering an amazing warranty on an already impressive machine!
Your confidence in the product thru your unlimited KM warranty gives me great faith in an already proven product!!!Lots o fun ahead and no I don't work for ski-doo or any thing sled related for that matter.

If you mod your stock sled out- don't bitch on these forums how your e-tec failed. those are your problems for changing the manufactured specs not the manufacturers.

Take idiots-now give them easy oil money and the ability to sled......

......go wrench something that needs wrenching not your brand new sled that you road once and think you can get more horse power out of with your custom backyard mods. You made it to golden or revelstoke you've told me about it, youve expressed you have AST 1 now your telling me your custom backyard modded sled isn't working right.....

Last edited:

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same deal- i know 20+ etec riders with no issues and lots of miles. years range from 2011 forward. Ive owned 5 sleds in my life with hardly an issue. 1 new top end on a 01 Polaris RMK 700 at 3000km, I purchased the sled at 2000km, not sure how it was ridden as multiple people were using it as it was owned by a ski company who entertained newbies to equate to sales. Did the the top end road it to 6000km then the sled started self destructing. Wheels falling off-bearings toast-cowling-etc. New engine was to much for the miles....

I just got a 14 freeride with 4 years warranty. I have all winter off from work and I can put unlimited miles on my sled. I have no worries from these rediculous forum postings as my experience is I use my sled and my sleds last. After all these years I am finally stoked to actually have something I would consider reliable and I think if you develop some patience as an operator of said machine then it will last beyond the warranty period and much more!! Thanks Ski-Doo for stepping up and offering an amazing warranty on an already impressive machine!
Your confidence in the product thru your unlimited KM warranty gives me great faith in an already proven product!!!Lots o fun ahead and no I don't work for ski-doo or any thing sled related for that matter.

If you mod your stock sled out- don't bitch on these forums how your e-tec failed. those are your problems for changing the manufactured specs not the manufacturers.

......go wrench something that needs wrenching not your brand new sled that you road once and think you can get more horse power out of with your custom backyard mods. You made it to golden or revelstoke you've told me about it, youve expressed you have AST 1 now your telling me your custom backyard modded sled isn't working right.....this could go on but im tired of hearing how awesome you are. I saw your metal militia stickers on your ride at the gas station now tell someone who cares as there ain't no bleach blondes bimbos on the side of the mountain who care.... this ain't Sylvan Lake

Nice rant! Hope you enjoy your freeride, I know I love mine. I know there's a few guys on here that put 4-6000 kms on every year and buy a brand new ski doo every year. I'd like to see one of them keep their sled for the full 4 years and put those miles on to really show how good the etec is.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of mistaken perception. People are very quick to point out their problems and issues. You rarely hear about the machines that ran great all year and never had any issues. In saying that, if there is an elevated failure rate, I would attribute it to the EPA essentially forcing very lean midrange conditions and current quality of fuels. Fuel is junk these days and can't be treated the same as we did 10 years ago.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rebuild engines for buddies and we have never seen a rash of failures like right now!Most sleds have around the 2500- 3000km.I can usually get more life out of mine as im the guy who fixes them and know the weak spots.That being said most of these sleds are run by competent operators so the non warm up rant is useless!We've had 800r engines with the counterweights splitting half way down on pto side???Who ever heard of this S***?I started to talk to other engine guys and they say they cant beleive the failures either?Doo,Poo,and Cat also with cat being the least!Cat the only one running oil through case yet of any significant amount???Hmmmmm?Then we got on the 4-strokes,the guy I talked with says hes done a ton of them also with even the famed Yammi spitting valves even in the non turbo sleds!When turbo'd they are ticking time bombs and you really dont know how far you'll get!When I visited the Rotax factory a number of years ago the one engineer told us that once they expanded the cc limit past 700(350 per hole) the requirements for reliability became a huge issue!He said the vulnrability to detonation with the big cylinders becomes a huge challenge and with the epa requiremnts mandating lean burn only amplifies this!I know the r motors were a bit of a crap shoot and its to early to say much about e-tec which I have.I sincerely hope the milage you guys are getting on etecs(and other OEM's) are a step in the right direction!Although in the instance with brp as you move up to no.1 in sales there are trade offs with ramped up production,hopefully they have this figured out!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree. It's essentially been driven by consumer (that's us!) demand for more power and less weight. :bow:

EPA more than anything. Polaris, for example, has their 800 cut back to less than 50:1 oil consumption out of the box and very lean midrange in attempt to meet regulations. Cylinder is just not getting enough oil. Power output of their 800 twin more or less has been the same since it's debut. It has gotten lighter though.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuel is junk these days and can't be treated the same as we did 10 years ago.

Completely agree. Ethanol is the worst culprit. Even ethanol free gas doesn't seem to last the same. I'm very careful with everything gas powered I own that I don't use consistently. Seafoam in everything and when I'm done with the sled in the spring, I siphon off what I have left in the tank and run it in the golf cart and lawnmower.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot of mistaken perception. People are very quick to point out their problems and issues. You rarely hear about the machines that ran great all year and never had any issues. In saying that, if there is an elevated failure rate, I would attribute it to the EPA essentially forcing very lean midrange conditions and current quality of fuels. Fuel is junk these days and can't be treated the same as we did 10 years ago.
Yep I agree 100% ever sense
I learnt more about engine's The more i realized all these problem's related to fuel I've started adding a gallon or so of av to every 5er and problem
solved.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha never built an 800 twin for this very reason, reliability would be compromised. Big bore twins have the detonation issue that was mentioned earlier as well as heat dispersion issues. Rotating mass at high RPM with the larger pistons would require a much larger crankshaft to see long life...then the twin craze started and everybody wanted a light sled....the result, twins. In order to make these big bore twins last would make them heavier and people don't want that either. So here we are today 150 hp light weight ticking time bombs, the public got what they wanted. I went to a 4-stroke 3years ago and love it....you can have excellent hp and reliability too, win win. Yes its heavy but I don't worry about it grenading as the mileage climbs. So what do you want...heavy and reliable or light and poor longevity ? The OEM's will build what the public wants so it is up to us to decide. I will take some weight for beefier cranks etc to have a motor that will make 6000kms with ease. I may then go back to a 2-stroke. For now I will enjoy my boosted Nytro . I would love to see a well built 800 direct injected triple !!!!

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh Maxwell I knew that would fire you up! But it's a known fact smaller holes and lots of them is the way to effiecent power. I think it's closer than we think.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting reading . couple of poo "s in our group down right now . 13 and 11 , last year it was our turn 11 etec and 9 800 r .and a busted crank on a 800 cat .11 etec and 13 poo were both well under 1000 km . local doo dealer "s main wrench tells me that extreme loads and heat are the main culprits . there is a difference in riding areas as well. we ride in northern bc ,pine pass tumbler wolverine ,and in comparison ,say to eagles pass sicamous ,it is 25 km one way to the trail end , so at eagles 50 km per day of gravy running on groomed trail ,once you are in there lots of work for the sled although .around here maybe 10 -15km one way .not as crazy riding once you get in there but more extreme load on the engine per 100 km of riding .{maybe} the real test for brp and the 4 year warranty will how long they will offer it after the first 3 years are up .

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh Maxwell I knew that would fire you up! But it's a known fact smaller holes and lots of them is the way to effiecent power. I think it's closer than we think.

never owned a tripple. heard they run really smooth. but isnt the issue to do with varying temperatures from middle to exterior cylinders? also more parts, heavier, and more expensive.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really get heated over this debate as all triples came in the heavy and low slung f chassis and heavier ck3! There was a few that adapted them to the s chassis that worked decent. I just seen a 925 triple wedged in ol poo chassis the other day that was a light weight 163 mod. He also has a 880 big bore xp 163 and says the old sled kicks his butt without turning on crack jug!But you gotta think the upright ridin position of xp has its merits over ol poo wedge?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by teamdirt

......go wrench something that needs wrenching not your brand new sled that you road once and think you can get more horse power out of with your custom backyard mods. You made it to golden or revelstoke you've told me about it, youve expressed you have AST 1 now your telling me your custom backyard modded sled isn't working right.....this could go on but im tired of hearing how awesome you are. I saw your metal militia stickers on your ride at the gas station now tell someone who cares as there ain't no bleach blondes bimbos on the side of the mountain who care.... this ain't Sylvan Lake

Wow, that's a lot of stereotyping in one post!

Top Bottom