Engine Ice Coolant

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One word of caution with the Engine Ice - it prevents boil overs because it has a much higher boiling point than normal antifreeze.

Your engine might not be boiling over or acting hot, but that doesn't mean it's running cooler, in fact, it's likely running consistently hotter.

IMHO, Engine Ice is a bit of a band-aid fix, it doesn't actually address the problem of why the engine is overheating, it just covers it up.

Waxy
Does it somehow fool the thermostatically controlled fan into not turning on? Does it trick the computer into not turning on the "overheat" mode? I think that your analysis on the effectiveness of EI is a bit different than mine.

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
water wetter will not work with antifreeze, just straight water.

This statement is wrong, I use it in all my power sports machines, and used it in my ram 1500 w/hemi when I owned it.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Water Wetter® Coolant Additives - Water Wetter®

* Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water
* Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
* Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
* May allow more spark advance for increase power and efficiency
* Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles. Small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart
* Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOLTM and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems

* Satisfies ASTM D2570 and ASTM D1384 corrosion tests for glycol-based antifreezes

* Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
* Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
* Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
* Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
* Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
* Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
* Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
* Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

Waxy

Reaction score
Does it somehow fool the thermostatically controlled fan into not turning on? Does it trick the computer into not turning on the "overheat" mode? I think that your analysis on the effectiveness of EI is a bit different than mine.

Do all applications have a thermostatically controlled fan or a computer to detect overheating conditions? Of course not. You could put this stuff into your sled/dirt bike/quad and think you've solved your overheating problems because it's not boiling over anymore, but all you've really done is raised the operating temperature.

On top of that, if things like that are still kicking in and working, then the Engine Ice isn't exactly lowering operating temps or solving your heat related performance issues is it?

My analysis may be different than yours, but it is not incorrect. It's something that people should be aware of and take into account when deciding what coolant to run. Nothing more, nothing less.

Waxy

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do all applications have a thermostatically controlled fan or a computer to detect overheating conditions? Of course not. You could put this stuff into your sled/dirt bike/quad and think you've solved your overheating problems because it's not boiling over anymore, but all you've really done is raised the operating temperature.

On top of that, if things like that are still kicking in and working, then the Engine Ice isn't exactly lowering operating temps or solving your heat related performance issues is it?

My analysis may be different than yours, but it is not incorrect. It's something that people should be aware of and take into account when deciding what coolant to run. Nothing more, nothing less.

Waxy

If my fan runs less or NONE and the over heat light doesn't come on any more....the addition of Engine Ice did more than raise the boiling temperature of the coolant system....

You are correct though....if you have a horribly undersized or innefficient cooling system with no guages or fan, and the only way you know you are overheating is when coolant spews out....then adding Engine Ice will only let it run hotter before it boils out.

Last edited:

Waxy

Reaction score
If my fan runs less or NONE and the over heat light doesn't come on any more....the addition of Engine Ice did more than raise the boiling temperature of the coolant system

You are correct though....if you have a horribly undersized or innefficient cooling system with no guages or fan, and the only way you know you are overheating is when coolant spews out....then adding Engine Ice will only let it run hotter before it boils out.

Most likely, but not necessarily. Undersized or inefficient cooling systems (and the attempt to somehow trivialize the point) aside, unless you've got an accurate temp gauge, you don't really know what your average operating temp is.

The cooling fan is set to come on at a specific temp, so that's a great indication that you're consistently running too hot.

However, if the overheat idiot light is on, or the engine goes into a limp mode because of temp, then you've already got the engine way too hot. In that case, it becomes a matter of exactly what temp the light comes on at, and what temperature is the engine actually running at. Depending on that cut off temp, I'd suggest using a product like Engine Ice allows the engine to run at consistently higher temps (though not high enough to light the idiot light) than a straight glycol/water coolant or water. That may be irrelevent or it may be pretty significant, either in a good way or a bad way. It all depends on the application and the person.

At any rate, if you've used it and it works for you, that's all that matters. I've made my point, I won't beat the dead horse any further.

Waxy

Radagast

Reaction score
Everybody that I know of that switched to Engine Ice claims to run 5-10 degrees cooler average temp, measured by an inline temp gauge.

I bought the Engine Ice and am currently looking for an inline temp gauge so that I can do the same myself.

Top Bottom