Dogdes new 6.4L

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A pretty new engine, but seen a few out there. Anyone buy one yet?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 has been in the challenger and charger for a while so not really a "New" engine, pretty intense at 410hp and 429 ft-bs torque, it's no diesel but it's no slouch at all... Dealers can't keep them in stock while the diesels fill the lots. I tow and haul but I also commute daily to work with my truck so a diesel wasn't very practical for me, esp since i would only utilize the diesel's power and torque maybe 5% of my total driving (towing and hauling). It's thirsty when you get on it or lots of starting and stopping but find it somewhat comparable to my 08 4.8L GM I had before this and do not mind mileage so far. Great truck, regret nothing *Crew, Short Box, 3500 STL*

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 has been in the challenger and charger for a while so not really a "New" engine, pretty intense at 410hp and 429 ft-bs torque, it's no diesel but it's no slouch at all... Dealers can't keep them in stock while the diesels fill the lots. I tow and haul but I also commute daily to work with my truck so a diesel wasn't very practical for me, esp since i would only utilize the diesel's power and torque maybe 5% of my total driving (towing and hauling). It's thirsty when you get on it or lots of starting and stopping but find it somewhat comparable to my 08 4.8L GM I had before this and do not mind mileage so far. Great truck, regret nothing *Crew, Short Box, 3500 STL*
what kind of numbers is that then?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starting to average 17-18L in the city now, driving a little faster than i should have been to Revy this weekend with sled in box i was getting around 16.5L Passing makes me grin for several k after :p Fuel mileage has been steadily increasing since new, may see better numbers in the future.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would think by now they would have better mileage. Still ****ty like my 1/2 t but at the same time if you are like me it does have decent power and you will put up with the mileage

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have a good 6.4, Reports on ram sites guys are saying 10-12 us mpg so what's that 18-22 l/100. She's a big ole thirsty v8 same as ford and gm 6.2s are.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes me feel good about the old LBZ...

'12 T4

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would think by now they would have better mileage. Still ****ty like my 1/2 t but at the same time if you are like me it does have decent power and you will put up with the mileage

Yah... I've NEVER had a truck with "great" mileage... so I'm used to it... this one is probably the best iv had yet so I see it as being pretty decent for what the truck is... It's a lot to ask for when we start looking to manufacturers to provide us with 2500 and 3500 model HD trucks that weigh around 6,500lbs and have 400+ HP that are capable of handling that payload we want to carry or tow that holiday trailer / car trailer / sled trailer but then still get really good mileage... There has to be compromise somewhere... Although the new 5.7L Hemi c/w cylinder shut off technology in the 1500's with the 8 speed are starting to average around 9L/100km which is impressive and they can still tow a pretty heavy load but you'll probably need air bags and your payload in the box isn't too much so your stuck with towing.

Still you have to consider this is the first year of a gas engine in the HD dodge trucks and already were seeing #'s that are better than the Diesels in the same trucks. 18 - 20L/100k is pretty standard for the new diesels which is sad... after they put all that emission junk on the cummins it totally killed it... hauling 2 sleds on a deck in my buddies Dodge 08 3500 diesel we were getting 14L/100k. But anyways, so gas is cheaper, the 6.4L is getting a bit better mileage slightly loaded or empty so for an every day drive in a HD truck it makes sense over diesel. Even for the amount of time you spend towing or hauling you will probably still come out on top unless your truck is permanently hooked to a trailer or it's a welding rig or something.

I guess will just have to see where it goes!!! summers around the corner so expecting to see the mileage go up with the warmer weather and less idling.

*cheers*

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. While it could be better I think this new hemi I have is the best gas engine I have ever owned. If your engine works out when I need a new truck that will probably be what I go with

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to get one. Running 12 5.7 hemi 2500 and it does everything the diesel do. And gas is a lot cheaper than diesel in place that I work. As well is cheaper to maintain.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For reference...I have a 14 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Mega Cab. 6sp auto. I had a 2010 3500 CTD 4x4 Mega before this. I'm not sure what they changed in the powertrain aside from adding DEF and deactivating the front axle, but between city and highway (30/70 split) I average 13.7L/100km. I Only have 9000km on the truck. On Sunday, I went for a drive to pick up a 120 for my short guy. Holding the pedal at 115 km/h with zero wind either way, I managed to average 9.1 L/100km. Truck is completely stock. I'm quite impressed. Drive it hard though and it will drink a little. Powerwise feels like my 10 with a 60hp chip. I know you are asking about a 6.4L, but I thought I would throw my hat in the ring if you are worried about mileage on the 6.7L. Interior and finish is a big step up from my 10. Everything seems better put together. I travel grids daily on my commute and after 100K on my 10, I was very surprised I had no rattles or squeeks on the truck. If only my 14 was as easy to do an oil change as my 10 though....can't win them all I guess.

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
makes sense to me, payload for deck, cheap to maintain, fuel is currently cheaper, as well as cheaper monthly payment. A guy at work had his dads farm truck for a day, a 6.0L 2500 gmc..... got 8 mpg and was super gutless with 31" tires...

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.7 now. I like it and fuel economy is not a big deal. Would be nice to have a bit more power and probably 4.10 gearing for them head winds. Tough to spend an extra 10g's when you can't warrant the use.

cheddar37

Reaction score
picked up a 2500 slt c/c/ s/b 6.4 a little over a week ago and headed straight to grande prairie, with 4.10's and 115 the whole way i averaged 15.7/100k which i was really impressed with and it passes awesome definitely impressed and lots of smiles. next is seeing what it does pulling the enclosed.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give it time. Soon it'll pass everything on the road pulling your 38 foot fifth wheel at 140K and get 35mpg doing it. Just Like a cummins will.

Reactions: mb1

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picked up a 2500 slt c/c/ s/b 6.4 a little over a week ago and headed straight to grande prairie, with 4.10's and 115 the whole way i averaged 15.7/100k which i was really impressed with and it passes awesome definitely impressed and lots of smiles. next is seeing what it does pulling the enclosed.
Pulling a 4 place fully loaded I bet your going to see somewhere in the 26L-32/100k mark. my 2012 5.7 with a chip/cold air/exhaust pulling my 30ft holiday trailer that's around 10000lbs at 120km/h I get 29-35L/100k going to bc and back. I do also run larger tires and that took away a few L's/100k.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2014 3500 6.4 gets with normal hiway driving between 14-17l per Hun. Hook the 30' travel trailer behind and it will still pass everything on the road but a gas station. Avg 38l per Hun pulling trailer. But yes my avg speed is 120 weather pulling the trailer or not.

Top Bottom