DIY Autobody?? Anyone try

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have an 03 cummins that runs great and only has 160k. But the body's not so good. It's gonna need one fender, rockers and the cab corner has a nice dent. Oh ya and the box is hurting too. I'm just gonna try to find a take off box in decent shape. Any tips or where to purchase body parts are welcome.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will bite. Im way to much of a perfectionist to work on my own vehicle, I will send it to a pro for bodywork. That being said, If you have the time, space and patience to do your own, go for it. Buy panels from a supplier and put them on, its really not that hard.

I cant remember the name of the place where I got panels for the ex's car, but they were cheap.

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crosscanada if you want cheap and some repairs to the new panel(small dings, bent corners).

dealers if you want to bend over for a good ecoated part and usually flawless.....usually.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing body panels is doable by yourself, aligning everything can be tricky. Welding in cab corners,patches can be researched and done yourself but the actual bodywork,prep & paint will really depend on your skills.

If you are not trained in the field it will show.

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I plan on doing the pitch work and panels myself but prep and paint ill bite the bullet and let the pros take care of that.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Ok. Here's some free advice.

Check into shops that will do the filler work and prep and paint your masterpiece before you jump the gun and do it yourself
A lot of shops won't touch other people's work because its usually junk and ends up being a huge headache and a money loss for them

Unless you want some maaco crap job that looks good from a far but far from good I suggest you get some one that can help you with what you need

Not to sound like a jerk but trying to steer you in the right direction

Cheers

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
It's kinda like taking apart a motor and after not knowing what's wrong , taking it to a shop an say "hey can you fix this ?" "Heres all the pieces
And btw I need it for this weekend. :)

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree most shops won't touch the "can of worms" because it would destroy their reputation.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's kinda like taking apart a motor and after not knowing what's wrong , taking it to a shop an say "hey can you fix this ?" "Heres all the pieces
And btw I need it for this weekend. :)
What is the difference between me smashing my truck into a tree or me smashing into a tree and trying to fix it and then bringing it to a body shop? Either way it is effed up?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between me smashing my truck into a tree or me smashing into a tree and trying to fix it and then bringing it to a body shop? Either way it is effed up?
What he is saying basically is go ahead see what it will cost you. I say then do it your self. Go buy the materials, see how much it costs, do your own work and see what you end up. I bought automotive paint, reducers, hardener to paint my shop door another $40.00 and a shop could of done it.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

Because usually a person who doesn't know what they're doing will have bolts missing ,fasteners broken and then we usually end up doing more work to fix what the owner started .sometimes the vehicle needs a body pull but the owner has taken the whole thing apart and then there's no structure to pull from.
The shop cant warranty paint work if its rots out because off poor repairs is what I am trying to get at they offer lifetime warranty on collision and paint but the work has to be done with proper materials.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because usually a person who doesn't know what they're doing will have bolts missing ,fasteners broken and then we usually end up doing more work to fix what the owner started .sometimes the vehicle needs a body pull but the owner has taken the whole thing apart and then there's no structure to pull from.
The shop cant warranty paint work if its rots out because off poor repairs is what I am trying to get at they offer lifetime warranty on collision and paint but the work has to be done with proper materials.[/QUOTE

Now i know, thanks.

Top Bottom