DD15 DPF deletes in alberta

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We currently have 6 DD15's and one 60 series and have spent 1000's of $$$ on the filters cause detriot will not warranty a single thing even trucks with 800hrs.

So the question is where a guy to send a truck to. We have a truck goin to Lloyd on weds but it's not a full delete. The truck will still have the egr valve

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why won't they warranty? I would be very cautious doing deletes on those trucks. Depending on who does your cvip you may be having to reinstall them.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That and if you get caught its like 10g fine and if you don't tell them who did it could be looking at more.
Interested to know what the issue is as I have three units running the same engine and have had no problems with emissions stuff. I know the first ones had lots of egr issues but hey seemed to have fixed that

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Is that an actual law? Ive heard about the big fine but far as i know thats a wives tail. I cant find anything on the net? Voids your warranty is the only downside i know

Magnet, our problems are the trucks drive low speeds on ice roads and also so a lot of idling. One truck WesternStar reported 87% idle time. The dealer changes the filter,senors, do the 4hr burn. Detroit Diesel themselves tell westernstar not to warranty the dpf. They have warranty somewhat but only 20% of the bills

Everyone is in a difficult spot. The govt puts pressure on Detriot and all the other engine builders to make a cleaner burning motor. They build and design the motor so there is no idle time, which is NFG for us.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have trucks out there that do a lot of idling too. The new engines are designed to work around the idling time. Any of the 10 emission trucks the Mack or Volvo are to sit at a regular idle and NOT be idled up like the old trucks. better check a little further into with the drivers are doing and also check into programming. They might be able to do something there.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know yes they just don't really enforce it strong
However as a tech I legally cannot cvip your unit without the emissions stuff on it as all factory installed emissions stuff abs stuff etc must be on the unit.
We do some idle but lots of consistent 1500 rpm work, hydrovacs, and not having to many issues also in western stars
However the way we are getting around it is by building gliders now we have 2 units now we are building that will be 2013 trucks with n-14s in them end of day cost is a little more but no emissions and will actually have some power the dd-15 is a gutless pos IMO especially compared to the n14 or 3406
Look into the glider build gets a guy away from emissions bs at least

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure Overdrive heavy duty here in the Ville does it! My buddy just had his KW deleted.
Call Willie really good guy and knows his Diesel's!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure Overdrive heavy duty here in the Ville does it! My buddy just had his KW deleted.
Call Willie really good guy and knows his Diesel's!

Yup willy does know his chit lol.
He's my kids uncle he's been working on trucks since he was probly 8 yrs old lol. Anyone from that family of mechanics knows their stuff all the boys been doing it all their life

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long live the N14! We have one in a Western Star. Just did bottom bearings and oil pump to recoup some lost oil pressure (25000hrs) and she's good to go again!!!

Can someone please tell me again how these new diesels burn way more fuel and meet emissions again! What a crock of shyte!

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta has no motor vehicle emission laws period..... Anyone can download the vehicle equipment act from the Alberta government website if you want to see for yourself. If the warranty is useless as it sounds to be, just delete the crap off the truck and make it more functional in the process.

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are wrong... DOTS will have a hayday with you, a driver just got a $30000 dollar fine at the Whitecourt scales, for having deletes. Shut her down dock the trailer and tow the truck back to dealer to get emissions crap reinstalled and inspected. CVIP's require it as well.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are wrong... DOTS will have a hayday with you, a driver just got a $30000 dollar fine at the Whitecourt scales, for having deletes. Shut her down dock the trailer and tow the truck back to dealer to get emissions crap reinstalled and inspected. CVIP's require it as well.

I don't drive a highway tractor nor ever want to again..... so I couldn't care less and no they won't have a hayday with me. However show me the section and subsections in Alberta law regarding emission control equipment that the driver was fined on. I don't care about hearsay or whatever, I want to see the actual laws. I'm curious because that be the case it only applies to commercial and or heavy duty vehicles. Possibly and only possibly because of interprovincial requirements. Alberta honestly has nothing in the equipment regs regarding emission anti tampering.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo. It's a law all provinces have adopted regarding commercial trucks only on the basis of standardization. It has zilch to do with anything else on the road or farmers for that matter. Sucks to be a trucker and I guess you are leaving them stock from here on. By the wording though I assume many are let go due to just "overlooking" the issues.

Like I said, provincial Alberta law still has nothing to do with this and we have no anti-tampering laws here.

Last edited:

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In Alberta, installing a DPF delete kit itself is not a regulatory offence, according to Alberta Transportation spokesperson and public affairs officer Trent Bancarz. However, the annual Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program (CVIP) inspections conducted on all large trucks do require an OEM or equivalent exhaust system.
“This CVIP criteria comes from the National Safety Code Standard 11B, which all provinces have adopted,” he said. “If the only thing a vehicle owner has done is have a DPF Delete kit installed, then the vehicle should fail a CVIP inspection. The 11B criteria is being reviewed currently. It is expected the criteria pertaining to emission systems will be clearer, and a DPF Delete kit or removing emission systems will be a clear reject criteria. When the 11B is updated, a commercial truck with a DPF Delete kit will not pass an Alberta CVIP inspection.”
This could spell trouble for owner/operators or fleet owners who’ve had such work done to their trucks. Reversing the process would also require purchasing a new particulate filter, which costs thousands of dollars on its own. (In some cases, the DPF is removed from the truck, but more often, it’s hollowed out so the truck appears to be in compliance during visual inspections. The hollowing out of a DPF renders it completely ineffective). It’s possible many drivers will be stuck with trucks they can no longer certify under the CVIP, without a costly reversal of the work they paid so dearly to have done.
All indications are that increased enforcement of the regulations is coming at the provincial level. Truck News learned the issue was discussed during a recent Canadian Canadian Council of the Ministers of Environment meeting. A crackdown could be imminent, putting an end to the service offerings or driving providers further underground.
OEMs, also, strongly advise against the practice.
Lou Wenzler, technical sales support director with Cummins, said it’s difficult to tell how widespread the issue of engine tampering is. However, he said “Cummins does not condone tampering with our products in any capacity at any time during the product’s life.”
Wenzler said Cummins has a corporate policy preventing its own distributors from engaging in the activity, and added “Cummins’ warranty policy specifically states that any failures caused by incorrect engine modifications are not covered by Cummins. Tampering with or disabling emissions control devices may also impact repair times.”
Wenzler suggested prospective buyers of used trucks that may have had their emissions systems modified should have those trucks first inspected by an authorized service location. Like Wenzler, Canadian officials have had difficulty ascertaining the reach of such practices. CTA’s Laskowski said: “There’s a smorgasbord as to what can be done out there. The degree to which people are taking advantage of it is unknown, but there are various creative garages doing various creative things to the environmental equipment in pursuit of improved fuel efficiency.”

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So part of the law is to have a valid cvip while running down the road. If you change or modify any of the parameters in that cvip you are running illegal. So do what you want really, I have heard of them enforcing this on my Mechanics F550 as well. He got 5k in fines and a tow back to Windsor Ford.

Don't get me wrong, this whole emissions thing has gotten way out of control, it is hard on engines. Its to the point really that if you do not need diesel power to tow you are further ahead with a gas. 10k extra for a diesel 2k to chip and delete and void your warranty. This might be my last diesel actually.

My 2008 6.4 ford was deleted and tuned and in many peoples opinions that is the only way to make them last. My 2012 6.7 ford is bone stock and likely going to stay that way. It works pretty darn good just the way it is and I don't have to smell the exhaust.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hav e a pete with a cummins that i deleted the dpf egr and no word of a lye the millage doubled on that unit so i have my doubts that my carbon fottprint is any larger than with all that equipment on there and i have not talked to one person who has been fined or forced to return their unit to stock. the biggest thing people see are the white sunglasses wearing azzhats with their cranked up f-350 rollin coal giving ammo to the environmentallists at every stop light.

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hav e a pete with a cummins that i deleted the dpf egr and no word of a lye the millage doubled on that unit so i have my doubts that my carbon fottprint is any larger than with all that equipment on there and i have not talked to one person who has been fined or forced to return their unit to stock. the biggest thing people see are the white sunglasses wearing azzhats with their cranked up f-350 rollin coal giving ammo to the environmentallists at every stop light.

Lol the 6.0/6.4l naturally do that when the EGR cooler goes, which is quite often. I see at least one truck rolling white smoke daily. The 7.3l did it when you didn't warm the truck up for 20 mins.

Top Bottom