Couple dumb questions......

Reaction score
Sorry to lump these together. I assume they will be simple answers for those that know better.

1. Reading another thread, someone had suggested they change belts just to see if that is what was causing their problem. My first question stems from that. I have an 08 Summit 800. I bought it from BowCycle and to my untrained eye the belt looks just fine. I assume they wouldn't sell it to me with a belt that has 3000km on it (maybe I'm wrong). I ALSO have a brand new belt, and have never changed a belt in my life. I might like to do that and change to the new belt, just to see if anything improves... but also to make sure I know how. The question is, could I then save the current/used belt as the backup belt? I was surprised how expensive they can be.

2. My wife has a 2015 Expedition, and I have the 08 Summit (as mentioned above). When I gas mine up, out of habit I just use premium... I just always do. I ALSO used premium the first time my wife had her new sled out.... (last season). I filled it with the same octane as mine, from a Shell station. I later noticed that her gas cap said "87 octane" (I think)....... so my question is........ does that 87 mean "minimum" or EXACTLY 87? Or is 91 in that sled fine? Hers did seem to backfire when we started it, once or twice.... it has less than 300km on everything.

Thanks everyone....

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
extra octane will not hurt anyting, backfiring was probably due to old fuel more than anything. so far as belt, you can definetly use your old belt as a spare. so far as belts are concerned, before using a new belt clean it very well in very hot soapy water, clean/degrease both your clutches as well to ensure no contaminents from the old belt are transferred to yuor new belt

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
No problem using the old belt as a back-up. The thing to look for is cords pulled out on the side of the belt. When they start going it is time to change out a belt. Still my be good enough for a back-up depending on where/how you ride.

I'm not too fussy with gas but always use premium in my 2-strokes (I guess that makes me somewhat fussy). You will get lots of replies and have some more information to sift through. Happy sledding.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
extra octane will not hurt anyting, backfiring was probably due to old fuel more than anything. so far as belt, you can definetly use your old belt as a spare. so far as belts are concerned, before using a new belt clean it very well in very hot soapy water, clean/degrease both your clutches as well to ensure no contaminents from the old belt are transferred to yuor new belt

I personally think that cleaning a new belt is a total waste of time. I will periodically clean the clutch faces but have never "washed" a belt. But what doo I know after all my years of sledding...............:confused:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
As for octane, the minimum requirement is just a "minimum" you can use a higher octane but throttle response may suffer a bit. Lower octane has more BANG. So 87 octane combusts faster giving a quicker response. Putting 91 in wont have any adverse effect, will be easier on the motor in my opinion. But to each their own.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wash a brand new belt and see what color the water is and notice the change in appearance of the belt surface, can it hurt anything?? you wash your clutches so why not the belt?

I personally think that cleaning a new belt is a total waste of time. I will periodically clean the clutch faces but have never "washed" a belt. But what doo I know after all my years of sledding...............:confused:

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you change out your belt, you also have to adjust it properly to sit in your clutches. I run my belt so that when the sled is idling and the track is off the ground that the track barely turns. If after you install the new belt and you hear a squealing sound, your belt is to tight. A new belt will stretch a little and will require readjustment. A loose belt equates to loss power to the ground.

If you want to determine how much use your old belt has, use a micrometer to measure the width and compared to the new belt width.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
wash a brand new belt and see what color the water is and notice the change in appearance of the belt surface, can it hurt anything?? you wash your clutches so why not the belt?

I'm guessing I'm not that picky. I have sons who spend the time to wash the belt and I don't know if the performance is any better.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.... I'll keep using premium in both then... it's just easier.

Can anyone tell me where I'd buy one of those tool-kits for my sled? I was told it had one but it doesn't. Mine and my wife's MIGHT be interchangeable, but we won't always be together anyway.... where do I buy one, and how much can I expect them to be (ballpark) ?

Reaction score

I'm not sure how to do that..... but maybe I can YouTube it this weekend. I'd feel better knowing more, but jesus@hobbies ffs.... I don't know how you guys know all this AND have time to ride lol

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what its worth... My quad made 5rwhp more on 87 compared to 91... Some engines just can't take advantage of the octane without timing table changes.

Reaction score
For what its worth... My quad made 5rwhp more on 87 compared to 91... Some engines just can't take advantage of the octane without timing table changes.

My concern is more about damaging the sled, or lessening it's life.... it's an Expedition afterall... so I don't need to get every last HP out of it. We call it the old lady sled, it has a seat for a passenger and it's already fast enough for my wife lol I do appreciate the comment though.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sled only needs 87 you are just waisting money burning premium. That being said it an expedition you probably won't notice to much performance loss. And it's a real pain if you are packing gas for 2 sleds and 2 different fuels.

One time with my 09 summit I ran out of gas and the only spare gas was my race gas, so used strait race gas to get me home. That sled ran like sh!t with strait race gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.... I'll keep using premium in both then... it's just easier.

Can anyone tell me where I'd buy one of those tool-kits for my sled? I was told it had one but it doesn't. Mine and my wife's MIGHT be interchangeable, but we won't always be together anyway.... where do I buy one, and how much can I expect them to be (ballpark) ?

Ski Doo doesn't sell the 2009 tool kit any more but they do sell a 2010 toolkit the part number is 529000045 and it retails for $59.99. It should be almost exactly the same. You can look up most parts for your sled at Ski-Doo.

Reaction score
If the sled only needs 87 you are just waisting money burning premium. That being said it an expedition you probably won't notice to much performance loss. And it's a real pain if you are packing gas for 2 sleds and 2 different fuels.

One time with my 09 summit I ran out of gas and the only spare gas was my race gas, so used strait race gas to get me home. That sled ran like sh!t with strait race gas.

That's kind of exactly the issue... packing two types of gas. Or even while filling them at the gas station.... having to stop and switch.... I'd rather spend the extra $5 and save the hassle.

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I dont doubt it one bit haha. Wayy to hold of a burn

Reaction score
Ski Doo doesn't sell the 2009 tool kit any more but they do sell a 2010 toolkit the part number is 529000045 and it retails for $59.99. It should be almost exactly the same. You can look up most parts for your sled at Ski-Doo.

Awesome thanks! I will try and nag it out of my sales guy... he assured me they both had one.... Maybe E-bay would have the exact one for my year?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
91 contains no ethanol...ethanol eats sh!t. I do not use any solvents in my clutches any more just dish soap and hot water, i also wash the belt at the same time. Steel wool sure cleans nice as well.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I will try and nag it out of my sales guy... he assured me they both had one.... Maybe E-bay would have the exact one for my year?
The kits are all basically the same. Everything you need will be in the 2010 kit.

Top Bottom