Coolant in bottom end

DoubleYou

Reaction score
Havnt torn into it deep enough to find out what happened yet, got the head off , o-rings look fine no cracks on the head. Whole bottom end is full of coolant. Would the coolant have toasted the crank bearings? Or would the grease have kept a film on the bearings?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends, could be a cylinder cracked, could be the crank cases cracked, bottom base gasket

How long has the coolant been on there

sent while drinking tea's

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havnt torn into it deep enough to find out what happened yet, got the head off , o-rings look fine no cracks on the head. Whole bottom end is full of coolant. Would the coolant have toasted the crank bearings? Or would the grease have kept a film on the bearings?

Before you took it apart you should had done a cooling system pressure test. It would had told you what and where the leak is. Now its a crap shoot of guess work.
GENERALLY, its the head O-rings or a base gasket, even if it appears ok. Unlikely anything cracked. Especially if it was put away running well.
The bearing's will be fine, glycol doesn't rust or damage metal especially if it has not ran. Just clean out and relube the bottom and it will be good to go.
I also highly recommend replacing the head bolts if they are a torque to yield bolt, even though they might look ok. Contact your BRP dealer to find out if they are. Torque to yield bolts have the tendency of stretching especially if over heated, they can loose their grip. Tightness on head and a slow leak develops.
Good luck

Last edited:

DoubleYou

Reaction score
Yea hindsight, should have pressure tested it. It was running when it blew, it's not from sitting. I just figured head or base gasket, but these engines have cooled cases don't they? Thanks for the advice, it has sat since last winter with coolant in the bottom end.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea hindsight, should have pressure tested it. It was running when it blew, it's not from sitting. I just figured head or base gasket, but these engines have cooled cases don't they? Thanks for the advice, it has sat since last winter with coolant in the bottom end.

ok, so did it loose a cylinder while running or was it running normal other then coolant going in?
If you lost a cylinder then its the head O-rings. If it was running normal when it happened and continued to run fairly normal then its the base gasket.
Doesn't matter, like i said glycol is non corrosive unless it is OLD, then it becomes corrosive because its properties change with use and age. So no it will not hurt the bearings. Unless you drove it alot and starved the bearings from oil.

I do find it odd though that you would leave it in that state over the summer.

Last edited:

DoubleYou

Reaction score
Just bought it busted like this, agreed, odd to leave it in this state. Said it was running wide open for most of the day then died,(didn't ask if it was a no start or a big bang) had to get towed back so I'd say it wasn't running once whatever happened, happened. Any ideas on how to remove the rest of the coolant, I'll pull the crank out, but I've never done these bearings before, can I re pack them

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought it busted like this, agreed, odd to leave it in this state. Said it was running wide open for most of the day then died,(didn't ask if it was a no start or a big bang) had to get towed back so I'd say it wasn't running once whatever happened, happened. Any ideas on how to remove the rest of the coolant, I'll pull the crank out, but I've never done these bearings before, can I re pack them

AHHA, now the rest of the story, not knowing much about what happened and its history, as you bought it this way. I personally would tear it down completely for an overhaul.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guy thought is the cases are cracked if it's full, had a buddy experience this

And Lund, I call b.s

Coolant eats roller bearings bad and right away, even new coolant will, unless it straight

What's it mixed with, water..... There's the rust factor

I.d be taking it all apart to inspect it all

sent while drinking tea's

Top Bottom