clutching question

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a 700 king I don't know witch kit I have, is there away of telling witch kit I may have? The wet clutch are thicker and are yellow the secondary spring is yellow and not sure what the weight of the rollers are, they are white. And I have 2 mill shims in the primary and 27' tires and it wont pull the front wheels. Oh yes I just got done putting in a big bore kit that is 12.5 to 1 and is 750.1cc now any ideas? I have only run about half of a tank of fuel sense boring it, maybe it's not broke in yet.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a 700 king I don't know witch kit I have, is there away of telling witch kit I may have? The wet clutch are thicker and are yellow the secondary spring is yellow and not sure what the weight of the rollers are, they are white. And I have 2 mill shims in the primary and 27' tires and it wont pull the front wheels. Oh yes I just got done putting in a big bore kit that is 12.5 to 1 and is 750.1cc now any ideas? I have only run about half of a tank of fuel sense boring it, maybe it's not broke in yet.

Did you recalibrate your fuel injection for the big bore kit and high compression?

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on most machines with a ecu running fuel injection you need a feul tuner if you do anything like boring or cams or such.. i know nothing on the king clutches.. you could always try Kevin at get torqed and see what he knows.. his speciality is can-am but does know and has tuned other bikes on the dyno... or are you carbed? so you have a wet clutch?

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you build these engines you have to let more air into them and also do something more than the stock restrictive intakes all these bikes have.. you also need to run a good slip-on or full system to get the power out of it... boring with a high compression engine like that and stock air box and such dont help much.. we have proven that with can-am's .. you also have to clutch to max shift out rpm for the motor to put the power to the ground... give Edge Powersports a call in Aridire also, they have a dyno there now and can maybe help you a bit...

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
recalibrate my fuel, no. didn't know I had to. and I took the exhaust off HFM because the neighbors were bitching about the noise, I'm trying to be nice, but it is loud. either I have to be way out in front of everyone, or way behind because it so loud, you could hear me a mile away they say. My buddies say if I get to far in front and they don't no where I'm at, they just shut off there machines and then they can find me. My quad is fuel injected. I do have a power commander 111 but there are no up dates that I can find for the big bore kit, so I unplugged it, that never worked either. I have put a new cam in and a new head also and the valve clearances are as tight as they can be, tolerance wise.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a copperhead by vdi they are right here in Calgary. Are you running an m109r injector? The copperhead has a lot of updatable maps and Lyle at VDI knows his stuff

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one problem you have is a wet clutch.. not really a performance clutch.. i have been told that the wet clutches rob lots of power and its not worth while doing mods that cost lots cause of the wet clutch...
cvt's are the ticket to having rwhp going to the ground...

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's getting enough fuel with the bbk. As stated you want to be in the 5700-6100 rpm range until full shift out for maximum power. Did you install the clutch kit? You will benefit a lot more from clutch work from Airdam or PSC and the price is comparable.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no he can't.. he has a wet clutch... not a cvt...

they had a 700 grizzly on the dyno saturday and it had a full pipe and tuner and maybe a few other mods... they only squezzed 38 rwhp out of it....lol
A can-am 800 bone stock makes 47 to the wheels..

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a 700 king as in suzuki king quad?? What year?

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one problem you have is a wet clutch.. not really a performance clutch.. i have been told that the wet clutches rob lots of power and its not worth while doing mods that cost lots cause of the wet clutch...
cvt's are the ticket to having rwhp going to the ground...

Cat and Suzuki have a wet clutch that drives a cvt??

Last edited:

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it still has a CVT, power just goes through a wet clutch first before the primary engages. It works fine and you can still tune the CVT with weights and springs, but you need to make sure the wet clutch isn't worn out before you start tinkering with it otherwise you won't be able to feel any gains made with a clutch kit. Signs of a worn out wet clutch are poor acceleration from standstill, the machine just revs up and it takes a long time for the speed to match the revs (especially in high range), and engine oil that smells like burnt tires.

However, crisscross you need to get your fuel sorted out before you worry about clutching. Without a proper dyno tune your fuel and air are probably so out of whack it'll be a wonder if your new engine doesn't melt down before long. Give a few shops a call and see if anybody has an ATV dyno and tuning equipment, then book a time to get it dialed in, you'll be glad you did. I know Doug at Ronin motorcycle works in Sylvan Lake does that kind of thing and does it well...if you don't want to drive that far I'm sure you can find somewhere in Calgary. Get that figured out before you worry about clutching.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice! thanks for that....im not a suzuki guy... lol... know my can-ams very well but for anything else i dont delve into it like the hams....
thanks for expalining... i think i screwed them up bu saying not a cvt, its a wet clutch ..but i meant what you said...

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yellow secondary is a epi spring , and i think epi is the only one to make a aftermarket wet clutch springs.
talk to the guys on nyroc , they might not be the max HP experts but even mine wheeled with 29.5 outlaws . and the only mods i had were air filter,pipe and almost the same clutch kit .
i do remember someone having a pc3 map for the BBK 's but i don't remember what it was called ????

whats your valve clearance at? most DOHC motors get too tight , (screw type get loose over time but the pots usually get tighter)

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok it is a 2006 king fuel injected, valve clearances IN .004" and EX .008" and they recommend IN(.004-.008) and Ex(.008-.012) so it is nice and tight and they are pots. There really is not lag with the throttle, it just doesn't pull the front wheels up, it has lots of power it will spin the tires mind you in hard packed gravel. I do have a heavy duty bumper and rad relocate kit and aluminum skid plates and a winch, maybe it is just to front heavy? 27" 10x12 mud wiesers up front and KN filter and stock exhaust because of the neighbors, I thing the exhaust only gives you top end any ways not bottom.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to find out what your peak rpm is when the cam is making the most power.. that is were you have to shift out.. So when you punch it the bike will rev to that max rpm and then shiftout happens..that will give you way more snap off the line cause you will be in the max power curve of your cam ... also if you have a bit more stall in your cvt, that will help too... you have to find someone that knows these bikes and how to clutch properly.. i know a man that can do it for you.. you will wheelie all over the place...lol..... but you have to go to edmonton and see get torqued.. they will make it happen for ya.. other wise you will be playin with this till the cows come home, if your not properly schooled on how to tune your machine...

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever hear of Octane Performance in Calgary? Awesome guy and when I had my 660 Grizzly tuned up there it felt like they put two 660 s on one bike. WOW it was awesome

Top Bottom