Class III / IV Rapids

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still looking, have met some really nice people that have taken us for rides in 8, 12 and 14 degree boats....

Liked the 12 degree for ride and steering over the 8, also found the 8 degree was rough over any wave's, would want suspension seats....
Like how shallow it could go and start...

Things I've decided that work for us...

Want an 18' to 19' boat
Want a V8 leaning towards a 5.7L Kodiak (just found the sport jets to noisy and to much vibration, and I like the sound of motors...)
Would like QT100 steel and UHMW, just because I know I like to explore, not the sliding over rock beds but defiantly see it getting stuck from exploring.
Power trim tabs over place diverter
Split duct style reverse bucket
Sun deck with bench seat in front of engine....

So here's the question how would an 8 degree hull boat handle class III and IV rapids?

"Discuss amongst yourselves"
Just post it so I can read it as well......

Attachments

• Mike.jpg
    Mike.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aside from the motor size you pretty much explained our Bulldog. I just can't answer the rapid size question, if I could find those size rapids around Edmonton and the NSR I am sure I would have a answer.

I have hung this boat up on the shallow stuff, do not be fooled it will be HEAVY with the extra meat on the bottom (UHMW) and a V8. Pull up the spec sheet on the ThunderJet Bulldog and change out the motor to a 6.2L and a AT203 pump equals approx 2800lbs. The back sun deck with the wrap around back bench is very nice when touring with people. It is a lot of up and down walking on the seats when fishing and using the back of the boat. We just set up small deck chairs on the back deck when fishing and the dogs hide in the shade of bimini cover. Heading up river I get around 36mph and down river 47mph and can cruise on plane at 3000RPM and hold 30mph. Still looking for the RPM sweet spot and fuel consumption.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come for a rip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 224

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you live on the snake river Rapids play a minor roll in how your boat will be used. It would hold its own just have to zip up and turn on the pumps. Build your boat to where your going to run it.

Top Bottom