Chinese diesel heaters for enclosed sled trailer

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
has anyone investigated using these in other places? for instance in a "off grid" cabin for heating while you wait for your wood stoves to be up and running?

sledhead70

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights on the intake placement. I am still debating how I will mount mine (through the floor or through the side of the trailer). I bought the diesel heater that has the parts separate, which will give me more flexibility incorporating it, but if I go through the trailer side I’ll be doing the boat exhaust idea shared on here. I insulated my trailer last year (a 27 ft aluminum deck over with the extra height interior), and want to install this heater so I can then work on finishing the walls and ceiling.

Does anyone know what FatGuy used for his trailer (post #270)? I love the white panels, but trying to avoid just painted wood. I have considered plastic sheets or the fiber reinforced stuff, but not sure how it will hold up in the cold and driving down the road.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights on the intake placement. I am still debating how I will mount mine (through the floor or through the side of the trailer). I bought the diesel heater that has the parts separate, which will give me more flexibility incorporating it, but if I go through the trailer side I’ll be doing the boat exhaust idea shared on here. I insulated my trailer last year (a 27 ft aluminum deck over with the extra height interior), and want to install this heater so I can then work on finishing the walls and ceiling.

Does anyone know what FatGuy used for his trailer (post #270)? I love the white panels, but trying to avoid just painted wood. I have considered plastic sheets or the fiber reinforced stuff, but not sure how it will hold up in the cold and driving down the road.
if you use the proper glue and take your time doing it FRP will not come off. Cleans up easy to

Post in thread 'Lets see your enclosed'
https://www.snowandmud.com/threads/lets-see-your-enclosed.55213/post-3086148

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.

Sent ya a pm

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone investigated using these in other places? for instance in a "off grid" cabin for heating while you wait for your wood stoves to be up and running?
might know a guy that has one in the shop that blows underneath the lathe and milling machines.....keeps the feet nice and warm when standing there for long periods - he's not a snowflake though... LOL. Just need a 120V to 12V converter (aka 12V power supply) about $30 on Amazon. custom air intake / exhaust that goes out the wall that keeps the hot exhaust from touching anything.

sledhead70

Reaction score
Sent ya a pm
Thanks FatGuy for the details you sent. I went and picked up a bunch of 4x10 FRP sheets for only $25 each (I found them on a local classifieds ad which I only thought to check after reading someone else’s experience with kijiji). Although I need to clean them and do something about the chemical smell. Now I just need to get some self tapping screws with white heads, and install them in the trailer. 😊

Back to the heaters, when routing the exhaust through the trailer walls did anyone do anything for the insulation or surrounding area of the hole to protect against fires? I will likely use the boat exhaust idea shared on this thread, but do I need to pull the surrounding insulation and use some kind of fire proofing? Thanks!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put checker plate top and bottom of trailer floor. Just for protection from exhaust pipe. Zero heat transfer as it has a little gap to the pipe.

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
Thanks FatGuy for the details you sent. I went and picked up a bunch of 4x10 FRP sheets for only $25 each (I found them on a local classifieds ad which I only thought to check after reading someone else’s experience with kijiji). Although I need to clean them and do something about the chemical smell. Now I just need to get some self tapping screws with white heads, and install them in the trailer. 😊
Back to the heaters, when routing the exhaust through the trailer walls did anyone do anything for the insulation or surrounding area of the hole to protect against fires? I will likely use the boat exhaust idea shared on this thread, but do I need to pull the surrounding insulation and use some kind of fire proofing? Thanks!
I took a octagon electricl box used a knock out to punch hole thru the box and outside trailer skin big enough for heater exhaust. Fastened box on inside from the outside with black rivets.
Cut a hole in cover plate for exhaust and put it thru.
Them boat exhaust are crazy expensive and I’m a cheap Ukrainian. And I have a ton of electrical stuff kicking around.

There about 1.5 inches around dead space in the box so nothing will ever burn or melt.

But to each there own.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put checker plate top and bottom of trailer floor. Just for protection from exhaust pipe. Zero heat transfer as it has a little gap to the pipe.
X2 - used 3/16" aluminum and some fiberglass around to keep the pipe centered. 1/2" gap filled with the fiberglass and no issues.

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

1664565918252.png

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok...so anyone found a fuel pump that pumps more fuel than air?? If I ran mine for 2 hours it would quit because line would be full of air.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which heater do you have? If it’s not the all in one unit, is your fuel pump pointed downward at approx. 30°-45°?
Did you change out the green fuel line that it comes with to better hose? According to the CDH gurus on crack book, the green line is notorious for producing air in the system.
I don’t know why or how.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got mine installed today. Tossed in a couple 125ah AGM batteries, a 55a 12v charger / power supply, and a through wall power inlet.

Seems to work pretty decent. Tomorrow I'll go grab some pipe to run a perforated trunk line all the way to the back, and possibly a gear dryer.

20221111_160042.jpg

20221111_160139.jpg

20221111_160335.jpg

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just installed an 8KW heater inside one of my Steam trucks - works great. Used an electrical box to run lines air intake and exhaust through the floor to the outside. Should have done this years ago.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New here from near-coastal BC. There are a few threads on these diesel heaters but thought I might start here.

I've just bought one of the 5kW all-in-one heaters off Amazon.ca for general use and while it runs well, I've run into a question that no one seems to b able to answer- not even Vevor service (I get a different person asking the same questions every time, but no answers.)

The manuals are garbage. The one that came with it, and the very comprehensive one Vevor subsequently sent me are very poorly printed and in largely incomprehensible "English". A different one that the vendor sent me today - much better printed and in better English - was easier to understand but didn't address the main problem, which is that my unit seems to have a control panel unlike any of the others.

The "regular"panel looks something like this and is probably what most people are familiar with. Also the one in the YouTube vids I've seen:

View attachment 252218

but the one on mine is the one below, showing two menus that come up. The first seems to be a thermostat setting, adjustable from 10ºC- 40º (!) allowing the heater to maintain a certain room temperature, whereas the second is just a heat output adjustment from 1-6. Anyone seen one like this?

View attachment 252222
The problem is that I cannot find a way to switch between the menus. One time I was able to do so by rotating the + / - knob (which is just an encoder with unlimited travel in each direction) past the limits of the "A" setting, which brought up the "H" menu, but I tried this again this morning and it didn't work.

There are a lot of YouTube vids out there (including a couple of really superb ones by "Tom the Dilettante") but none I found so far shows a unit with this control panel. Very frustrating

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New here from near-coastal BC. There are a few threads on these diesel heaters but thought I might start here.

I've just bought one of the 5kW all-in-one heaters off Amazon.ca for general use and while it runs well, I've run into a question that no one seems to b able to answer- not even Vevor service (I get a different person asking the same questions every time, but no answers.)

The manuals are garbage. The one that came with it, and the very comprehensive one Vevor subsequently sent me are very poorly printed and in largely incomprehensible "English". A different one that the vendor sent me today - much better printed and in better English - was easier to understand but didn't address the main problem, which is that my unit seems to have a control panel unlike any of the others.

The "regular"panel looks something like this and is probably what most people are familiar with. Also the one in the YouTube vids I've seen:

View attachment 252218

but the one on mine is the one below, showing two menus that come up. The first seems to be a thermostat setting, adjustable from 10ºC- 40º (!) allowing the heater to maintain a certain room temperature, whereas the second is just a heat output adjustment from 1-6. Anyone seen one like this?

View attachment 252222
The problem is that I cannot find a way to switch between the menus. One time I was able to do so by rotating the + / - knob (which is just an encoder with unlimited travel in each direction) past the limits of the "A" setting, which brought up the "H" menu, but I tried this again this morning and it didn't work.

There are a lot of YouTube vids out there (including a couple of really superb ones by "Tom the Dilettante") but none I found so far shows a unit with this control panel. Very frustrating!
Has anyone figured how that lower pic of screen operates. That is like the one i bought few yesrs back and finally installed last week. I can turn on and off but not sure how to adjust room temp

800tundra

Reaction score
3rd season . Think I could have trailer at plus 40c inside , if it were -40c outside
• Webasto running in floor heat with air heater fan attached.
•One Chinese heater for general heating
•One Chinese heater for boots , gloves and helmets.

Attachments

• E6B84FA6-7C13-4BFE-8427-C35E30522E8A.jpeg
    E6B84FA6-7C13-4BFE-8427-C35E30522E8A.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 221

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3rd season . Think I could have trailer at plus 40c inside , if it were -40c outside
• Webasto running in floor heat with air heater fan attached.
•One Chinese heater for general heating
•One Chinese heater for boots , gloves and helmets.
That is quite the set up...!

How/what are you running for piping in the floor? Extra sheeting with pipes underneath?

Top Bottom